Tsc 2024: What Does It Mean For The Future Of Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by RobertSchulz, May 2, 2024.

1. RobertSchulz

RobertSchulz Well-Known Member

So today we got the news of a new iteration of Train Sim Classic, Train Sim Classic 2024.

However as I stated in other threads, I'm concerned about the decision to make new chapters with TSC.

I thought Train Sim Classic were the old classic but still updated and kept alive game for its owners and lovers, while Train Sim World is the new and let's say the at least unofficial successor to TSC (hence also the name "Classic")

But now it concerns me much what DTG's plans for the future are and how this circumstance will reflect on Train Sim World, being still a highly debated game (price modell, bug fixes, etc.) and especially on Forums like RailSim.de, TSC seems to be more popular.

If DTG plans to develop TSC further and therefore occupies the said to be already fully stressed out and limited ressources and developers, do we get the same amount or even enough content, improvements and bug fixes to the Train Sim World franchise in the future?

What is the reason keeping two simulators developed simultanously?

Is there even the possibility that DTG gets rid of TSW?

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  2. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

They have never stopped developing TSC in parallel to TSW. It's also a completely different team. Do you think EA Games' progress on the next FIFA game is slowed down by the development of another Battlefield game? Of course not. They have different teams working on them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it means anything for TSW. There is nothing new in TSC 2024 apart from a few scenarios. We already know they continue to work on the core.

As far as I can tell TSC 2024 is just the name of a bundle and nothing else.

4. RobertSchulz

Do you have an official statement from DTG anywhere which proofs that?

Electronic Arts is a bigger company with lots of developers, so it's logically that they have different teams to work on different games. Not so Dovetail Games, who always state that they wouldn't even have enough developers ready to get features in the game, that were promised at release or improving said features.

And yes although DTG also has different teams working on different games (I never stated that I think this wouldn't be the case), I see a high probability that devs are in charge at Dovetail working for more than one specific game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I doubt the state of TSC will have any impact on TSW. It's well-established that TSC has it's own team and I don't even see the Subscription coming to TSW.

TSC's pretty much done; hardly any DTG DLC comes out, beyond the annual releases, and the Subscription is, basically, just access to the existing content - the amount of which isn't going to increase at the same rate as TSWs is, hence why I doubt TSW will get one. (Also, the backlash would be mental.)

So yes, I doubt TSC24 will have any impact on TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

Subscription model is inherent to the console market.
    So it will come to TSW, no doubt.

7. subwayg0at

subwayg0at Member

You're looking at a bundle refresh with absolutely no new routes included. The last route that DTG made themselves was Pegnitztalbahn, which is over a year ago. It also has a route completely overlapping with the TSW one, which has much better graphics.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really care if a subscription option came to TSW, it wouldn't change the way I buy. It would be in everyone's interest however for the subscription service to cover the complete DLC catalogue (not a "curated selection") and be cross platform; i.e one subscription covers all DLC on all available platforms (PC, Xbox and PS).

9. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

TS Classic continues to receive updates to support the player base that still remain on it. TS Classic still holds strong thanks solely to the third party community that continue to create and release content. DTG don't make a lot of content for it anymore, they focus on patches.

The third party content is what still attracts players to the game, which would also generate a nice bit of profit for DTG I'd imagine as you need a fair bit of DTG content to meet requirements for the third party stuff. It would be a no brainer for DTG to provide patches for it while it's still making them money.

TSW is the main simulator now, this is where DTG focus 99% of their efforts. I think it's safe to say that TSW has the bigger player base, due to the fact that it's available on many more platforms than TS Classic. Third parties have been coming over to TSW as well, there's even been rumour that Just Trains will be developing new content for TSW only going forward.

There is absolutely no cause for concern. It's more likely that official TS Classic support would stop than TSW but hopefully both games will be supported for a looooong time to come ;)

10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It means nothing. Nothing has changed. There always have been updates for TSC and I think the TSW team is far bigger, but there is still a lot of interest in TSC. What ahs changed is that the development of the the TSC game core was almost dead and there are things going on now to improve TSC, which is awesome. No need to worry, at least not for the coming years.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Can I step over to the Run 8 corner... :)

Seriously I have made it clear I would not entertain a Netflix style arrangement for playing these games. I buy the content I want for my collection (both games) as a keeper.

In fact to be honest I'm surprised they aren't trying this on with TSW first rather than TSC. Though I guess instead of £9 a month it would be £12 a month. And for that price it should be access to all content, not just "Editor's Choice".

12. 21c164fightercommand

21c164fightercommand Well-Known Member

Count your blessins and enjoy those blessed days in the firm belief TSC will be kept on support and get actually improved and brought up to modern standards, perhaps even surpassing TSW in actual rail transport simulation?

The clouds have gotten a new Silver Lining, some bugs have been eliminated, but I think there still are memory allocation issues in the 64 bits version. It was good to hear the error messages are being improved, the errors at the base perhaps eradicated. But these things cost lots of time and time is money, subscription model will perhaps bring a modest new income flow when it actually takes off.

The real hard work still has to commence, for instance on a better auto-dispatcher that makes Quick Drive on single track with meets of opposing trains possible.
    Or simple things like a better rolling stock selection procedure in the QD editor since the data is present in the blueprint, though in >50% cases incorrect, LOL
    But then we will probably hear more smoothtalking over breaking 20 year old scenarios on ancient routes nobody plays anymore ....

13. RobertSchulz

In regard to the developement and enhancements TSC compared to TSW, I wonder about that the new TSC 2024 version will have new developer tools.

1. Yet, in the PC Editor Forum we patiently wait for improvements to the Editor since months. I'm thinking about whether the person making improvements to the Editor is the same person which is making developer tools (or improving said tools) to TSC 2024 and is occupied by that so the former isn't going any further since the release of TSW4 back in September 2023.

2. Why? Are developers for TSC more preferred or in bigger quantity than ones for TSW?

What is included in the core update?

The update to Train Simulator Classic base game includes the performance improvements, bug fixes, new developer tools and more.

Source: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live...cles/article/train-simulator-classic-2024-faq