Tsc - Santa Fe Serendipity!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jul 18, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220718-072759_Chrome.jpg
    So, I'm wondering who this reefer car actually belongs to, because it doesn't look like any Santa Fe Refrigerated Dispatch car I can find, maybe Western Fruit Express?
    images.jpeg
    88e4ff8876f88338dc4653a0074580af.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gary Dolzall

Gary Dolzall Well-Known Member

In addition to a range of AT&SF branded cars, the freight selection of the pack will include other equipment, including Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Burlington Route, and some generic unbranded stock

4. DrTrenchcoat

DrTrenchcoat Well-Known Member

will the U28CG include both passenger and freight brake pressures or if not will the included passenger stock be set to 90psi?

5. Blacknred81

I'm honestly surprised you didn't include a branded Santa Fe reefer car, especially with how many schemes your other Routes and Packs include.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Like Freud's definition of insanity...
    doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results
    (The purchasers of such packs, myself included)

Since these packs have "many new updated things", why not list them out?
    (Not counting "advanced air brake scripting" or repaints or the fact that the "new" u28 is basically the u33)

• Like Like x 3
  7. anthony.wood

anthony.wood Active Member

The content mines have a beautiful yield

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

No term gives me more worries than "Advanced Brake Scripting" associated with North American locos in TS... having played Run8 that's how a brake control should be scripted. Let's see...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2022
  9. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

What about loco sounds, Gary? Will them be authentic?

10. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

We'll work with High Iron to get answers to the questions in the thread - the original article does go into a lot of detail though.

We'd ask that in the interim that you please reserve judgement on the pack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Given their track record with previous packs, I wouldn't count your pennies. Stuff like GP35s having the wrong engine audio and the F units equipped beyond 10 year old 567 sounds...

Would almost be fine if we hadn't reworked the F unit sounds entirely in a freeware addon using infinitely better public domain sounds.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I can't wait for this. Santa Fe is my favourite Fallen Flag railroad and I've always wanted some more Santa Fe locos in the game. When this get's released I will immediately be buying it which I rarely ever do for other DLC. I think I'm most looking forward to the GE U28CG. :D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  13. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

What's wrong with the GP35 audio?

14. Gary Dolzall

Gary Dolzall Well-Known Member

Thanks for the question and opportunity to respond. The sounds for the GP35 are in fact recorded from a turbocharged EMD 567-series V-16 locomotive. As for whether the sounds are "10 years old" or not (which they actually are not), I don't believe the true sounds of an EMD 567 engine have changed in the last 10 years!

• Like Like x 1
  15. DrTrenchcoat

No, the sounds IRL haven't changed, but acceptable standards for recording and mixing have :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Do they? We've been using 16-bit 44/48 kHz for decades... it's not comparable to graphics evolution. And from a High Fidelity point of view - the peak of audio technology was the 1970s and there is high prices for HiFi equipment from that era still demanded. I mean listen to the brilliancy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (1973 original non-remastered) and then compare it to the "Loudness War" recordings of the 2000's with terrible clipping and no depth or dynamic range any more.

Kudos to the great Alan Parsons OBE and the Floyd for pushing sound engineering forward. Slightly OT now I know :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2022
  17. DrTrenchcoat

You're right, that's why the Searchlight 645E3 sounds like a Kuju 645E3, how silly of me. Just because it's not comparable to the evolution of graphics over the past decade (which DTM and HIS seem to have also forgotten) doesn't change the fact that standards of acceptable quality have massively improved.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

The recording equipment that's used certainly has though, there's a reason why this clip-

-and this clip-

-have vastly different audio quality, despite the engines hardly being different on a audio level. The fact the engines themselves don't change are irrelevant, that's only one factor when it comes to recording audio.

I will say that I actually agree that LP and the like get catch up too much on audio age, there's plenty of good audio that's old. These sounds for example-

-sound pretty good, especially for the time. Certainly there's lots of sound recordings from the 2000's and beyond that don't sound anywhere near as good as this does. Old audio can be good if it's recorded nicely in the first place for sure, it just depends on the quality of the recording equipment and how well it's setup.

Having said that it's kind of baffling that you couldn't make such a argument, and instead fell back on a inaccurate one at what I can only assume is a failed attempt to be witty. I know you're no audio engineer, but clearly you do have a decent grasp of what it takes to make content for TS. Enough that you should certainly have more of a understanding than me on this stuff.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I was not implying there aren't bad sounding engines in TS.

20. anthony.wood

anthony.wood Active Member

A more laymans comparison is that their "mixing" is quite literally mono. Whereas our stuff uses multiple channels for different parts of the audio that gets live mixed by the scripts. Things like bass channel, normal mids, turbocharger samples, etc.

Beyond that separation of different sampling channels, I also rely on distance based mixing as well.

Though making that sort of comparison isn't very fair to HIS or those involved considering their market is to just fill a void as quickly as possible.

• Like Like x 4
  21. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

I can't wait to buy this retro pack of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe one of my favourite US Railrtoad and use it on other ATSF route.

22. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

The GP35 has a 16-567D3A, not a 16-567D2. They sound noticeably different.
    The 567B sounds always lacked the proper 'oomph' a 567 has anyway, so I really don't understand your point about them changing over 10 years.

Even then, the GP20 567D audio you've used on the GP35s is going on 9 years old anyway so your point falls largely flat on it's face.

• Like Like x 2
  23. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

If we get another ATSF loco and rolling stock pack like this, we should get an NW2, an FM H-12-44, an FM H-16-44, an Alco RSD-15 "Alligator," an SD24, a GP20, a GP30, a GP40X, a GP39-2, an SDF40-2, a C30-7, a U30C or U36C, a B23-7 or B30-7, and/or an SD45.

24. Blacknred81

So, going back thru some photos of this pack and there are some issues to 2 of the locomotives, the F3, and the U28CG....

A few things about the F3....

1st off the coupler is either missing textures, or has no weathering at all compared to the rest of the front plow. The door handle on the nose is also a solid grey color.
    F31.png

I also noticed on alot of the IRL ATSF F3's, they had some sort of hatch located on the right side of the nose, which isn't represented on the DTM models. Also seems like it was more common for the front handrails on each side of the front door light to be painted yellow instead of red.
    F33.png

Now for the U28CG

It seems like it also has some sort of weird issues with the coupler as well....
    U281.png

Not to mention that the plow that the ATSF had on their U28CG's is completely missing as well.....
    u282.png

I know the articles say....
    But it is very alarming to see these sort of errors in screenshots this close to release.....

• Like Like x 1
  25. LPSimulation

LPSimulation Member

Looks like they just imported the ambient occlusion and didn't bother texturing it.

26. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking

27. DrTrenchcoat

At this point I've got to wonder if there was any beta testing or QA at all