PC Tsw 2: Br 146.2 Sound Issues (with Video)

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by ckop64, Jan 27, 2021.

1. ckop64

ckop64 Member

I am yet to receive a response to my support ticket so I figured I'd try my luck on the forums. I have recently purchased TSW2 and I've been loving it so much that I've decided to buy a DLC. I have chosen the MSB AddOn, because I liked the scenery and the locos. I haven't paid much attention to the steam reviews, which has been a great mistake on my part. The reviews clearly state how the sound on all 3 of the locos are pretty bad sound wise in TSW2. Most of these reviews and forums threads are from October-November last year however. I am writing this at the end of January, 2021 and the issue still persists. I have figured I'd make a video to demonstrate what the problem is:

So here's what I'm hearing here:
    The acceleration from 0-32 km/h sounds alright but then suddenly the "do-re-mi" acceleration sound cuts abruptly into this noise that I can only describe as the sound of a broken washing machine pump. At around 120 km/h the washing machine noise gets overwhelmed by a constant beeping noise from the engine. I roll the windows down a couple of times to see if it makes a difference, and well... it does but the noise is still pretty bad.

I've been looking at videos taken in TSW2020, and they sound so much better than what we got here.

So... what do you guys make of this? Do you guys hear this too or am I just too sensitive to high pitched noises? I highly doubt this is actually what the locomotive sounds like in real life, the TSW2020 version sounds much more plausible to me.

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The sound issue with Preserved Collection locos is not specific to any particular train or route, but has something to do with audio codecs being processed incorrectly by Unreal 4.2.3, although it is more obvious with some locos (the TRAXX and the LIRR M7 attract the most complaints). In other words, the fix will have to be at the core level, they can't just tweak the 146.2 files. And, yes, this is known to DTG and has been discussed in the livestreams: it will be addressed, but it is a Big Job, not something to hand off to one programmer to take care of by Friday.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  3. ckop64

ckop64 Member

Thanks, Bill. :)