Tsw 2: Route Suggestion: Great Western Main Line: Bristol Temple Meads-london Paddington

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by karan#5946, May 19, 2022.

1. karan#5946

karan#5946 Well-Known Member

This GWR line runs with class 166s 800s and 43s
    The route is only 1 hour and 30 minutes have fun!

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Route is 118 miles long... too long

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Can be broken down into GWML Bristol Reading 81 miles and the existing GWML London Paddington to Reading route reworked to fit post 2020 OHLE

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

HST era would be better but as stated OP has spammed another unrealistic route request.

We are waiting to see if DTG have any plans for GWE but there is no indication they intend to extend it any further west.

5. euaningarfill

euaningarfill Active Member

They have said they are not going to extend routes

6. OldVern

Exactly what I said unless of course they are planning a surprise...

7. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

They discussed extensions and route mergers at some length in a recent stream (latest roadmap maybe, I can't remember exactly), from that I got the distinct impression that extensions are not ruled out but are not on the agenda for any time in the near future, after all why spend time on extensions when you could offer a new experience elsewhere?

8. ARuscoe

It was the last roadmap, last thing talked about on the stream

Why do this? Because it allows for more experiences in itself. A DLC from Darlington to Saltburn is something, but add in a route from Newcastle to Whitby via Sunderland and you can reuse much of the same stock and have four or five different runs on the same area. It also would add life to stations such as Middlesborough and Darlington
    Add on a DLC with runs to York and you have locals, HSTs and freight runs, say from the Tyne coal yards towards the south, you have multiple yards, depots and just more options.
    Each of these lines on their own gives decent gameplay, but link them together and you have longer more varied drives with varied AI

• Like Like x 2
  9. OldVern

Then you extend NTP from Leeds to York, link that in and you have a substantial Northern Powerhouse network!

And while I'm never going to be a fan of modern third rail units, a similar exercise could be done with London to Brighton and ECW. Add the missing link from Wivelsfield to Lewes, maybe extend from Eastbourne to Hastings or Ore, nice little network emerges.

10. Tank621

I'd rather not have NTP and TVL linked considering they are different eras

11. OldVern

Well that's something that would need to be considered at the planning stage, but the eras are not that far apart as opposed to trying to merge a privatisation era route into something from the 70's or 80's.

12. Tank621

I don't really want another West Cornwall situation with layers, the 40s had been withdrawn before Tees Valley is set (1989ish) and only a couple 45s were still around by 1989. Yeah, there isn't that much time between 1983 and 1989 but a lot changed in that time and I'd find it really jarring to see 40s running around alongside Trainload Metals liveried 37s.

13. ARuscoe

Nah. BML and ECW are basically extensions of each other and doesn't add any further gameplay.
    Maybe add in the West London line and fill in the WCML from Euston to WFJ or further north, get the CML done (at some point) and then at least you have difference...