Tsw 2: Route Suggestion: Southern Marshlink Line: Hastings-ashford International

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by karan#5946, Jun 3, 2022.

1. karan#5946

karan#5946 Well-Known Member

The Marshlink line is a railway line in South East England. It runs from Ashford, Kent via Romney Marsh, Rye and the Ore Tunnel to Hastings where it connects to the East Coastway line towards Eastbourne. Services are provided by Southern. The line was constructed by the South Eastern Railway (SER) in the late 1840s, and was considered politically important. The SER clashed with the rival London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, leading to disputes over the route, planning and operation. After delays, the line opened in February 1851, followed by branch lines to Rye Harbour in 1854, Dungeness in 1881 and New Romney in 1884. The line struggled to be profitable and it seemed likely that it would close as recommended by the Beeching Report. All branch lines were closed to passengers by 1967 but the main line was kept open because of poor road connections in the area, and the branch to Dungeness remained open for freight. Though the line has been partially single-tracked, and was slow to be modernised, it has survived into the 21st century.The Marshlink line is one of the few in South East England that has not been electrified, despite regular proposals to do so, and uses the British Rail Class 171 diesel rolling stock. Despite its relative unimportance in the national rail network, it is now considered politically significant as electrification could allow High Speed 1 services to be extended to Hastings and Eastbourne.

This line runs on powered class 171s and 377s from Hastings to Ashford international and the route only takes 54 minutes or 55 to complete it depends how long you take.

This is a good route to be in TSW 2 and it would be nice and more comfortable for all passengers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think the only attraction would be the turbostar as I cant deal with another electrostar for a while now and I do not want another route in the southeast any time soon.

3. Asheix

Asheix Active Member

This is a route I have been on a lot iRL and it would be great to see it in TSW 2. I have seen other suggestions for it before including to completion of ECW that sees the route go from Eastbourne to Ashford International, and would probably add another 25-30 mins to the journey.

This video on YouTube provides a cab view of the entire route you specifically suggest for the game.

4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and this forms a hypothetical merger bundle of ECW with SEHS provided the missing sections are filled in ECW Eastbourne Hastings SEHS Ebbsfleet Ashford section and lastly this route Hastings Ashford. The bundle can be called Brighton to London St Pancras via Eastbourne and Ashford for the same price as a normal route.