Tsw No Longer Works With Windows 10...

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by jon flint, Sep 29, 2018.

1. jon flint

jon flint New Member

As per title, a lot of people including myself are having this issue, since a particular Windows update (KB4457128) the game won't even launch. The splash screen very briefly pops up followed by the unreal engine crash diagnostics dialog box.

Currently only rolling back Windows update will fix this, but as soon as I connect back to the internet, Windows will reinstall the troublesome update and boom, no TSW for me :(

Any ideas?

+ don't think it's hardware related, but here's specs anyway:
    8700k@5GHz
    32Gb ddr4 3200MHz cl14 ram
    2x gtx1080ti (sli)
    Win10
    Game running from m.2 nvme ssd.

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

That's odd. I've got Windows 10 with the very latest updates, and have no problem running TSW with all the available add-ons - and it's a much lower spec machine than yours. Could this be an issue with the Steam installation or the Steam cache (if that's what your using)?

3. jon flint

jon flint New Member

It's certainly a possibility that it's steam related somehow, it's one avenue i didnt explore.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, installing on different drives, running as administrator, running in compatibility mode for older Windows versions, removing any overclocking on cpu/gpu, uninstalling my antivirus, and still get the same problem. There are plenty of other unreal engine 4 games I play that have no issue whatsoever, just for some reason tsw just doesn't want to play.

I haven't tried for a week or so, I'll reinstall the game and see if anything changed.

4. Steve Cummins

Steve Cummins Member

Same issue for me except I don't get an Unreal crash dialogue, just a brief steam launch window then nothing. Steam shows that TSW is running and Windows Task Manager shows TSW has launched and is using system resources however after a few minutes it drops out of Task Mgr and Steam reports 'Ready to Play'. Steam reports all files intact.

All my Steam based games and UE4 games run fine except for TSW.

Support ticket submitted.

5. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

Whenever Microsoft release an update, just wait a few days to settle the dust and you will see it clearly.
    Every update will have certain bugs and one should wait reading on various websites all about the new updates!!

6. Steve Cummins

Steve Cummins Member

Whilst I subscribe to your philosophy I did 'jump on' the 1809 build of Win 10 due to a report via the Steam forums that claimed it solved the TSW failure to launch issue, alas, it did not!

Happy to report that I've not encountered the bugs others have reported via the 1809 build :)

As I don't play TSW as often these days I'm happy to wait for DTG to 'come to the rescue'.

7. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

I watch everything very patiently otherwise to avoid tension in downgrading an OS.
    You know it is a headache.

8. djos18

djos18 Member

I used to have that problem but it fixed itself in a later update

9. Steve Cummins

Steve Cummins Member

I have been liaising with DTG support over the past few days and it was noted that I was running an old BIOS file. I'm happy to report that the problem has been fixed via a 'flash' to the latest BIOS.

10. ThePortableGamer

ThePortableGamer New Member

Hey Steve, thanks for the tip. Updated BIOS (along with just about every other firmware and ticky tack hardware item I've been neglecting). Started right up. Unfortunately I don't have much of a crash report or protocol to add to the thread, other than if you're getting an UnReal crash after a brief start screen, check your BIOS.

Cheers -

-W

11. jon flint

jon flint New Member

Hmm, I'll have to take a look, haven't updated my bios since the 1st round of meltdown and spectre updates

12. Bristolian

Bristolian Member

Afternoon folks,

I am running Windows 10, Build 1809, and as of the latest update to TSW, I can now no longer run the Simulator.
    The small Splash Screen image loads, then just sits there, with Processor usage / RAM usage very low...

13. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Hi Bristolian,

Have you tried verifying your files or reinstalling the game at all?
    We have a guide located via the link below which will help you to do so if required:
    https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/267/12/experiencing-technical-issues

14. Bristolian

Bristolian Member

Hello Daniel, yes - I've tried verifying, then went along the uninstall / reinstall path, sadly to no avail.

15. pennsy_railfan

pennsy_railfan Active Member

I've been having the same issue

16. micker

micker New Member

Yes same problem here. but only noticed it happened after Long Island Rail Road New York - Hicksville Route was installed.