Tsw2 - First Thoughts

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LucasLCC, Aug 20, 2020.

1. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Having downloaded and spent the past hour playing TSW2. Here are my thoughts:

- Sounds on the Bakerloo are better than what was presented on the first stream. However some of the sounds seem a little loud whilst others seem a bit quiet. For example the power controller is very loud, but the rail joint sounds are non existent.

- Lighting on the Bakerloo also seems better than what was on the stream. However there's some points where you're plunged into complete darkness (no lights at all), and the lack of reflection on speed signs makes them near impossible to see.

- Bakerloo station stop markers often seem to be short of the monitor banks.

- The shard can't be seen on console. Given that we were told the only differences between console and PC was resolution based, this is disappointing.

- The monitor banks at the end of platforms always show an empty. I'm aware these don't change if a train is there, but it would be better if they always showed a train instead, as that would help with immersion.

- Passenger numbers are much lower than PC.

- You have to go through the full tutorial for every route. This means being told about the hub three times, and having to go through the camera controls three times. Not the end of the world, but is tedious... Would be nice if a cut down tutorial can be provided for routes after you've done the first one.

- In the ICE cab, ETCS has been spelt at ECTS on the indicator panel.

- On the ICE, the coach next to the Buffet shows 1st class inside, and 2nd class outside.

Overall, I'm not complaining for £25 for three routes, however if the above was addressed, it would definitely improve things.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

My first thoughts are that i'm super impressed with overall improvements. Apart from a few flickering trees East Coastway / winter / snow / max cloud looks stunning (the short draw distances are barely noticeable) and the train seems much faster and smoother when it's moving. The only thing I had to do was switch back to the original controller layout because I couldn't get the feel of the new immersive layout at all but I guess that's a time thing.
    To anyone still on the fence: For what you get the 21 pounds something something asking price is an absolute steal and if you still believe the update should have been free then think of it as a 'free update with a compulsory purchase of three routes (one/some of which you'd probably have bought for £25 each anyway If they'd been in TSW2020) for £7 each'.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

4K looks absolutely banging even when downsampled to 1080p, the increase in resolution, making previously blurry signs perfectly readable, the massive decrease in overall jaggies, and the improved shininess of the rails, and better shading/shadows, even on Preserved Collection, is great.

Granted, the boost to framerate in HD mode is a nice option to have, but since it isn't exactly terrible in 4K, I'd rather have the increased visual fidelity.

• Like Like x 3
  4. LucasLCC

I do agree, for £21.25, three routes is a bargain, and that's why I've purchased it in the first place.

I've also noticed the flickering trees on East Coastway (can't recall that on TSW1, but that might be my memory).

I've noticed a couple of other things:

- CSX tutorials are impossible to complete on the immersion controls, due to the fact you need to use a different camera view.

- On ECW, you get the warning AWS icon on the HUD on a green signal. This shouldn't happen.

- Please, please, please, can we have it so that scenarios will use whatever camera mode you have selected in the options, as opposed to always defaulting to immersion mode.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

On Xbox One X in 4K mode looks like a new game (imo). Probably its not the same on PC, cause they already ran Sand Patch in 4k since TSW1, but here on console side all looks better, from the environment lighting to the shadows.

I already found a bug in ICE3M introduction chapter. If you play it twice the second time your train (AI ICE) stand stops at the bridge at about 450meter from Köln Hbf. I waited for about 20 mins but nothing to do. So, the 1st time the introduction chapter work fine but if you replay it again (if you play the introduction a second time) your train (driven by AI) will never come to the station.

Apart this, Thank you DTG because TSW2 looks amazing and improved in every single thing.
    Thank you to Colonel Failure aka Sam aka The Protagonist too, for the time he spent to try to solve all our forum request. A big step forward also on this way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Where you're plunged into complete darkness are probably open atriums where junctions are (e.g. just north of Elephant and Castle) as there will be nothing nearby for your limited headlights to shine on. If you find yourself in darkness just take a look at the map, probably find you're where junctions are and in a moment you'll be back in a tunnel again.

7. LucasLCC

It's exactly at those locations. I think it's because I was expecting a bit of light to shine on the floor.

Is it possible for anything to be done surrounding the reflections on the speed signs? I'd love to drive hudless, however it's too hard to see what the speed change shows at times.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DTG Matt

It probably is shining on the floor - but the left and right walls you can see much closer to the train, and the ground because of the desk and being higher up, if you trace a line of sight to the ground you'll see you are missing a fair bit of the ground right in front of the train so you're not going to see any light anything like as clearly as you would from side wall reflections.

9. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

I'm using it in 1080p mode because for me, framerate matters more. But it definitely looks much better in 4K, everything is so sharp! (I'm using a 1080p screen.) I'll switch to 4K mode on Series X. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. DTG Matt

Even in HD mode on an X1X/PS4Pro you're still benefiting from it rendering a full 4k image each frame and then downscaling to HD to get better anti-aliasing (this is equivalent to setting the Screen Percentage to 200% on PC's FYI).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

I see, but I wonder how it doesn't impact performance further. I thought internal rendering resolution would decrease the potential framerate, so that a straight 1080p (internal) -> 1080p output would run better than a 200% internal rendering scale. Image quality is visibly better in 4K mode, but performance suffers as well. I'm not complaining though, TSW 2 runs much better overall than 2020 so I'm happy either way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. russianchip

russianchip Guest

First thoughts are that it is a massive step forwards not only in simulation but also in communication between the company and gamers! Personally I have enjoyed this release more following the streams/community involvement and continuous updates.
    The game itself is fantastic, mostly playing all the tutorials and scenarios on Bakerloo line I find the immersion control has had a massive improvement on gameplay, of course there is a minor issue with the interface on Sand Patch but this has a workaround.
    Thanks to Sam who has asked those questions and demanded a yes/no with no maybes!
    Great work and a great game!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that one. Still getting good FPS running at 4K resolution, anti aliasing on over head wires is so much better too!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr Fad

Mr Fad Member

It looked fantastic at 12:30am yesterday morning when I had a quick go before bed but now after 7 hours playtime its even better lol great job dt

• Like Like x 2
  15. ajwilson1889

ajwilson1889 Active Member

running Sand Patch in 4k on XBox One X I havent had any frame rate issues. The sacrifice for consoles is draw distance, so if you zoom out in Cumberland Yard the tracks in the distance aren't drawn. Also some pop in with sleepers, especially in snow. I dont think Series X will improve this unless Dovetail remaster the game to use the extra processing power, more likely they make TSW3 optimised for new consoles

• Like Like x 1