Tutorial For Emergency Brake Recovery Needed

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bertil Persson, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

In the next stream, do a recovery from emergency brake on the ICE 1!

2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Once it's stopped, press HLL FIll (on the right hand side near the brake gauge) and check it gets up to 5 bar, then proceed as normal.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

It’s literally a few threads up from here

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

5. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

It may be a few threads up, and thanks to Matt for replying here, but why isn't there a tutorial in the training centre? That's literally what it's for...

• Like Like x 3
  6. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Exactly this! This is the kind of thing I expected (still expect, with updates) the training centre to teach. Not everyone reads these forums, or should have to seek out how to do such things beyond the game environment.

• Like Like x 4
  7. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

Yeah this is a major flaw in the design of the training center. Can't expect people to have to crawl through the forum and seek for help for something that should have been explained within the game itself on first place.
    I guess that some functions on the ICE 1 got implementet AFTER the tutorials was finished already.

8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

We all have to agree these days it is super ez to find answers. I would not expect to see all 1000 tutorials to be there day 1. It is true, this one is an important missing one. BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2022
  9. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

I didn’t succeed to recover after an emergency stop. I keep pressing HLL fill but the pressure doesn’t go up. I’m on a PS5. Scenario: Würz winter. I was stopped just before Würzburg (987 m ), because I failed to acknowledge PZB. So frustrating, also because we can’t save. I also noticed that all the screens in the train turned off automatically. How can I recover from this?

UPDATE: I found the solution. I pressed the Cab Change button. After this the pressure went up with HLL fill.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  10. DTG Matt

Yes, unfortunately these details went in after i'd written the scripts and they'd been recorded - that's the major downside of having Voice Over's recorded (particular professional ones) - it's nye on impossible to change afterwards.

We'll get a video recorded and later look at getting a new tutorial added for this aspect.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Matt, I have a lot of respect for you and what you've built here, but I have to find myself saying "Hmmm, really?" when I read your reply. Not only the content but the jury remains out on whether it will ever get updated. Oh the intention is clearly there, but we all know how many issues still remain in front of it. I say that because omissions like this are systemic, even predictable. It's like the same base set of instructions are used every time, with only scant attention given to particularizing it for loco or route of the month.

For example, why do the base tutorials not teach turning on passenger/saloon lights? Why do they not consistently set headlights and check tail lights, set destinations for trains that need them? Why do only some locos teach recovering from an emergency stop, while with others there's nary a mention? I note that in this iteration of SEHS, the recovering from an emergency stop procedure has changed in the 395 - one no longer has to hold the handle far forward a few moments as we used to. It was with not a little schadenfreude many streams ago that I watched you struggle with this very thing, momentarily flustered why it wasn't recovering because you'd forgotten that aspect of it, just as I'd had to figure out on my own a few weeks previously.

(Speaking of SEHS - I see some tutorials asking for the reverser to be set to neutral when changing over the power, others to forward. I recall you telling us long ago that the game had been updated to reflect real life, where they changed that. Apparently, the tutorials weren't updated, though).

I get that there are always 1,000 more things that need doing, but if tutorials are going to be in the game then they need to be crafted, not just written. They need to be constructed with the rookie in mind who doesn't have years of trainsim experience to fall back on. And, most importantly of all, IMO, they need to be consistent. Right now, they give the impression they're each written by a different person. Just like some stop markers, for example, are hugging the red lights in front of them, while others are a healthy distance behind, and no one is checking for consistency. Just like with speed boards - some are clearly missing and always have been (Hello, speed board out of Strood to Rochester, I'm speaking of you...) while others are there. No one appears to check for consistency...at least not consistently.

I've never understood the no-manual, no-instruction mentality - and certainly not after a year's worth of work has gone into lovingly creating a route. What a shame to think of someone who had a real interest just turning away out of frustration for lack of instruction. Teach and they will come.

I'm very happy to see the Training Centre and am excited about the possibilities. Please take the time to do it right, from the ground up, building layer after layer as routes, safety systems, and locos build up. You guys have put such incredible detail into the trains - fuse panels full of fuses that can be clicked. Engines that can be started and shut down. Teach, and we will do.

And hey Adam - an EMH wouldn't go amiss either (Emergency Matt Hologram)...

And another idea - why not let the community contribute to writing the scripts? Why do you guys have to do everything yourself? Create a thread where we can add things we think should be there, and you will have many hands helping with the task. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Waffle

13. Bertil Persson

Thanks to Matt and JD who answered a direct question. I found a video link in
    TSW3 Early Access Feedback
    That helped me also.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Bertil Persson

Yes! Looks like we've been heard.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

That's obviously your opinion but just what did that reply contribute to the thread? Personally I thought there were some quite good points in the reply you disparaged.

16. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The broader issue is that there are many undocumented features. This is an important one. You cannot only rely on some videos, because videos are not very well searchable. I think the game deserves a concise manual describing the procedures, key bindings and essentials for all engines.

17. DTG Matt

There's a manual coming, one of the team has been hard at work on it but it wasn't ready for the EA - I gather it will be done very shortly and will then go out.

In truth you can't just rely on manuals either because a lot of people don't look at them - the full answer is that all mediums should really cover these things so that wherever you look you get the answer, relying on any single is always going to under-perform.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
  18. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Agreed. I like to have a combination of both, personally. I'll watch videos and complement them with reading. Some days my mind absorbs one method better than the other.