Tvm: When And How Hard To Brake?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by solicitr, Mar 9, 2022.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I am still trying to figure out the braking curve, on both the Javelin and the TGV. Unlike LZB, which gives you a moving bug to follow, TVM just jumps downward in big increments, which gives you little idea whether you are braking too hard or not enough- so I either get a penalty braking, or slow down too hard and fast and get behind schedule. Any suggestions?

2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I made a post a while back that went into the logic behind TVM and how to understand the driving procedure.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. solicitr

Yes, it's a helpful thread, but I pretty much understand how TVM works. I was looking for hands-on advice, like "What dynamic brake setting, how many newtons of air brake" sort of tips.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aldarion

Aldarion Member

well, usually, I take 0,5bar when slowing down to a new speed restriction and 1bar for slowing to a stop.

5. solicitr

Air only, no dynamics?

6. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

Depending from train expetially if dynamic and air brakes are combined or not. However remember that every repeater blocks is ~1500m and when you approch the change of speed you are adviced 1 block before so you have ~3000m before the first detection. Also tvm doesn't have the breaking curve calculation like Pzb/lzb and acses so you can for exemple continue at full speed for the first 1000m and than apply a full brake for the last 500m of the block. Just you need to stay at "that speed at this point" + 15kph of tollerance over 160kph. However for javelin: fist detection, wait a bit than start with the minimum and increase a bit if you are on downhill. After the first detection, do like a normal speed signal, as soon as it change, brake to the new one and than wait up to the detection. 30 - 50% of braking force is ok with it. Maximum 1.0 bar. For tgv is a bit different, dynamic works yes but only with the first detection, than you need to brake with the air ones too. Start directly with 70% of the dynamic and increase it up to 100% if needed expetially at 200kph or above. The general rule is always the same. Better 30 seconds of delay than an emergency brake.

• Helpful Helpful x 2