Tyne And Wear Metro?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by dantherailwayman85, Jan 1, 2021.

1. dantherailwayman85

dantherailwayman85 New Member

Hello matt and sam so i have been wanting to see this route for tsw2 for ages. I know that me mentioning it isnt going to necessarily make anything happen but in the future i would love to see the tyne and wear metro on tsw2. There are 2 lines to pick from: the green line which is south hylton to Newcastle airport, and theres the yellow line which is south shields to st james in Newcastle. In total the whole network has 60 stations in total. Freight services pass through sometimes often being a br class 66 or a br class 60. The metro that runs on the line is a british rail class 994. Please consider this route as it is a great one.

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The Metro was still being built when I moved to the Northeast and much attention was being paid to the new infrastructure for it (tunnels under central Newcastle and the bridge across the Tyne) but it's an interesting hybrid with most of its mileage being made up of commuter lines that saw steam and electric trains long before BR days. Metro services would inevitably be a bit predictable, they're all going to be stopping passenger trains, but should still be interesting. In fact a Newcastle area route set in any era should be interesting- I wonder if Forth Street works could be a feature...