Ue5.1 - No More Tree Billboards

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mr JMB, Nov 20, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Another big step forward, also the maximum map size is much bigger and glass reflections hugely improved. Still to come nanite landscapes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

OMG yet another one of these threads by people who don't understand why particular decisions are made in videogame development for particular circumstances and that no engine is a magic bullet....

3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am curious if the new Cyberpunk will be @ 5.x. Looks promissing. Everything that could solve TSW graphical issues look promissing. I bet on year 2024.

4. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

I think the bigger deal for TSW is the bigger worlds, that start at 7:50 in the video. Right now TSW most likely has to do rebasing the world center, so the world isn't bigger than the recommended 22km. That isn't necessary in UE 5.1.

5. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

???

• Like Like x 1
  6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think it's cuz Princess saw the title of the post and interpreted it as you are pushing for ue5 in tsw to solve the tree billboards instead of just generalizing it

7. rich.minty

rich.minty Active Member

If you could use magic, would you need bullets?

8. Princess Entrapta

Indeed. For one thing, all the games currently in development in UE5 just got a massive headache of deciding if they throw away two years of work in this field (no pun intended) and start from scratch on their foliage systems, or just stick with the existing tech they were using, so we won't see this implemented fully for some time yet. For another, a developer still needs to determine when developing a game in UE5 if all of these systems are usable for the target range of hardware they want it to work on. Some of them will be CPU limited for example, leading to a range of commonly used hardware among the target audience not having sufficient performance to run the finished product, and therefore won't be seen as viable by some devs working on particular games. It's all on a case by case basis.

Frankly, I'd imagine one of the advantages of DTG spinning up a team to do stuff like boardgames adaptation is that it's a simple enough field where they could get to grips with the fundamentals of UE5 and try stuff out in that environment to see how it scales, learning what will and won't work for them, building up experience among devs with a less hefty investment before trying to prototype a build of something like TSW in it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

To answer directly, maybe... depends on what the magic does

To answer obliquely, the phrase can also be related to the shooting of JFK where there was one bullet that hit a lot of things, not all on the same path so a "magic bullet" in this instance could mean one hit that finishes a lot of issues however unrelated

10. Princess Entrapta

Having just finished showing a friend classic magical girl series Madoka Magica, I can confidently say that while you may not need to, it all depends what you need to do, and if the bullets would be more efficient.
    steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.gif

11. The Bus has moved to Unreal 5 and i must say its way wau way better now all stutters are gone and is detailed to the core sorry but dovetail drop the ball not going to unreal 5 this year

12. rennekton#1349

It would be a big task for dtg since every route would have to be updated to be compatible in ue5. There's like 60+ dlc. The only way dtg could move to ue5 is to create a completely new game from scratch which would mean you would lose all your routes and convincing people to buy a whole new game and get brand new dlc for possibly a higher price wouldn't be easy. And ue5 wouldn't solve any of the bugs in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

And how quickly would the people dumping on DTG for not going to UE5 begin dumping on them even louder for adopting it when that reality happens?

• Like Like x 1
  14. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

I think Dtg should start a brand new Tsw4 with Unreal 5,1 or later. The old routes is still in TSW3
    But now they can really use the new possibilities with this.
    Don´t know if it so solves headlight problem. but many other problems seem to be solved.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rennekton#1349

Not any time soon. Ue5 requires a lot of work by dtg and they said they won't go to ue5 until it's more mainstream. And just cuz you go to ue5 doesn't mean bugs and stuff will be fixed. And trying to convince people to buy another tsw might be difficult tbh

16. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i wondering if older consoles support it maybe new ones can. but i like the new features. you know how amazing tsw game would look with nanite features. yes the draw distances wouldn't change cause of older consoles but no wall trees in training center that flash in the distances.
    also if the license can change if DTG tsw game move to unreal 5. DTG should ask 343 industries or bungie how they made forge work for consoles. maybe 343 could let them copy ui interface idea and stuff.
    there talks that next halo game will be on unreal 5 and since halo has forge.
    who know maybe dtg making unreal 5 tsw in background while making tsw3 content. that good move.

17. rennekton#1349

Tsw would still have a lot of bugs. Visuals and lighting don't matter if there are game braking bugs. And an editor will never come to tsw so asking them how they created forge mode would be useless. Also, completely different genres

• Like Like x 1
  18. We already have bought another tsw, oh wait... that's just tsw with a 3 added to it.

19. Princess Entrapta

And completely different engines, the slipspace engine is 343's proprietary one.

20. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

That won't work. Once TSW 4 would be out, very few people would buy the the old DLCs anymore, and none of new players would buy old DLCs, becasue they would not own TSW 3. This is a big chunk of the revenue stream gone. You would have the problem that TSW had 2 years ago - very little content available.

Also, that DLCs keep working, and get atleast some use of the updated core functionality is one of the reason why TS Classic is so sucessful, and also has a blooming 3rd party market. I personally would be more hesitant to buy DLCs if I knew they would stop working in new game iteration.

21. ARuscoe

When TSW2 came out it got all the TSW2020 DLC bar one route and a loco add on, probably over 20 DLC at the time... It also came with three new routes (which remained core until TSW3) so I wouldn't say it have little content let alone "very little"

22. rennekton#1349

Initially it was not a lot cuz the preservation routes had a staggered release and didn't launch on release day. Some of them weren't that great and it was some time before we got dlc

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  23. rennekton#1349

Hopefully in the next tsw, they figured out a way to build routes and trains even more efficiently, possibly making longer routes possible, the autotester would be useful in finding bugs and stuff, timetables become busier, etc. And hopefully we can have like a busy network, giving lots of gameplay opportunities. This is a big ambition and dream of course but it would be nice to have.

24. ARuscoe

I'd forgotten that some DLC didn't come out til later

25. I think it's time for a new game engine.

26. rennekton#1349

Matt has said other engines do have their limitations and wouldn't necessarily make tsw a better game lol. A lot of work had to done to even make unreal do the stuff tsw needs.
    Unreal turned out to be the best option for them

27. I remember matt saying. They chose unreal 5ish years ago and it's never been smooth gameplay. Is it still the best engine for the job today? And is it starting to reach its limitations? Are we gonna end up in the same boat as railworks, with outdated graphics for several years before we get some better eye candy?

28. rennekton#1349

I think ue4 still has a lot of potential and stuff dtg can do to make the game look better. Some ue games out there look great.

• Like Like x 1
  29. If dtg put a stop to the stuttering I'll be convinced. With a few mods and ini tweaks it can look nice but that stutter is a big problem.

30. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

So you saying they can never change. I dont agree at all. First Trainz do it all the time.
    Second I think 90% of sold routes trains is when it released or soon after in a sale.
    Not many would buy several year after. Maybe then in Sale. but this is not where they make money
    In any case, I don't think we'll see old routes in Unreal 5.
    They did a upgrade old routes in newer version of unreal 4 for maybe 2 years ago, and they had such a hard time getting it to work
    Ts Classic successful. Is it. For me it looks its dying. Not so many things are made to this comparing how it was.

31. rennekton#1349

Mostly 3rd parties are responsible for making stuff for tsc. After all, there's still a good amount of railroads to cover. And tsc has tools tsw doesn't like the route editor, consist creator, detailed scenario creator, so people will still stick to it for a long time. Tsc won't die any time soon as long as people still make content for it.