Other Uk Signals- Please Develop Approach Control

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by bescot, Feb 17, 2021.

1. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I hate to keep going on about the lack of approach control in TSW, we've been waiting for 2 years now.
    I like to drive prototypically, with the HUD off - this is still impossible.

Let me use SEHS as an example:

The only approach control that works is into the loops at Newington (flashing yellows).

There's nothing into Platform 0 at Rainham, Platform 3 at Sittingbourne, Platform 1 at Gillingham. The one at Sittingbourne is especially dangerous. I was on 6G11, and doing 60mph. Green signals all the way. Then a left hand feather to platform 3 - a 15mph set of points. Hit it at 60mph.

The GWE and NTP routes also really need it in places. Please, please can this be given more of a priority. If you don't have the tech to do approach release from red yet, put some flashing yellows on instead - at least it's something.

Oh, Sam and Natalie (I won't tag you), but in a stream last week you said you'd try to mark these threads as some way of showing an issue had been read and logged. It would be great if that would be possible. Some times I feel like I'm talking to myself. I understand though, you're a relatively small team and currently working from home!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Approach release doesn't exist in a drivers world in real life.

They aren't referenced in the rule book for a reason, and drivers are taught to obey aspects as they appear in front of them.

Route knowledge is key, but I will agree with your point about hitting slow junctions at speed because of poor signalling.

GWE would need a full signalling rebuild to include flashing yellows according to Matt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

I'm real life traincrew and yes, they're not in the rule book, but they are in route knowledge and in S&T diagrams, and are essential in route control signalling.

I know if I approach Sittingbourne and get greens I'll obey them to the line speed/stopping pattern. Approach control brings you to a safe speed - you don't assume you'll get the signal come off - but a signal with a route indicator before a slow speed junction coming off a large speed differential will not step up to a less restrictive aspect unless the timing circuit knows you're going slow enough. My point being that this is not happening in TSW anywhere; there is no prior warning of a diverging route until it's too late.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Was originally raised, and they've not done anything about it until adding flashing yellows for one section of the route in SEHS.

You're preaching to the converted here bescot as I too am train crew.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 37114

37114 Active Member

This 100% Why this is not implemented is beyond me. You do not get a green on a diversionary route if the line speed is slower until you're right up to the signal and the route is clear. It's in TS. Why not this? Is this a route builder issue or is it just not supported? If it's the former it's easily fixed.

6. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I was always wondering, especially on GWE, how the heck am I supposed to know where I switch lines to get to the appropriate speed in time if all I get is the feather signal and the switches 50 yards behind it. But it seems like there are some procedures in real life to not have this situation, so that should definitively be more widespread in the game. Maybe with the first implementation attempt in SEH it might get added to more routes once Adams team gives them some love :) but then, i think signalling has never been touched by the preserved crew so far, so for that point, have to keep my/our fingers crossed, maybe higher chances for new routes at least if that tech doesn't get "lost"

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Didn't yet exist in NTP's time frame. Drivers were simply expected to have memorized the route. No flashing yellows, no TPWS, not even Morpeth boards.