Understanding Cab Uk?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by superkillieboy, Jul 3, 2022.

1. superkillieboy

superkillieboy Member

Please can anyone answer the following to help have a better understanding of the switches that are in the cab, but are least or not used at all, what they do and what situations they are needed.

1: the spare switch
    2:TPWS brake override
    3:Train supply
    4: LED test
    5: Brake test

Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The train supply on the hst turns on the hep which turns on the passenger lights, ac, etc. You just hold it for a few seconds and you should hear it turn on.

I think the tpws brake override is when you're about to pass a red light and you got restricted speed clearance to go through, you press it and won't get ebraked. You have to have tpws on for it to work. I could be wrong tho.

LED test is I guess you test the lights and see if they work.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

1: the spare switch - This switch is not used for anything, hence it is 'spare'. Don't feel silly, it took me ages to figure that one out lol.

2:TPWS brake override - Like rennekton said, this can be used to override and emergency brake application due to the train protection and warning system (TPWS) when passing a signal at danger.

3:Train supply - On locomotives, this provides power to the rest of the train. It could be powering anything from passenger lights to refrigerators.

4: LED test - When pressed, this button will light up (along with other buttons depending on the train) in order to test that the LED lights are working. As most displays in the cab use LEDs, this is quite important.

5: Brake test - Used when stationary and usually at the beginning of the working day for the train. This switch will apply the brakes in order to check that the brakes are reaching their normal pressure.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. superkillieboy

superkillieboy Member

Thank you rennekton#1349 and Mr heff for taking the time to answer. You both have helped my understanding of these switches and why they are there. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. zakbevington

zakbevington Member

Hey guys whilst we’re on the topic of what things are. I’m just wondering what “DSD holdover” is on the 377 electrostar?

6. Mr heff

Assuming you are familiar with what the DSD is, the holdover button allows the driver to stand without their foot of the DSD pedal to look out (head out) of the window whilst driving the train. This is needed for shunt movements when reversing, similar to looking out the window when reversing a truck.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Ive been wondering what that does for a while :D I didn’t take it literally enough to think it’s there as a “spare” switch :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. zakbevington

zakbevington Member

Ah. I always wondered what it was since the 377’s was first in the game on east coastway. Thanks for the help dude.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Victor4815

Victor4815 Member

And the botton signal?

• Like Like x 1
  10. zakbevington

zakbevington Member

7D5C2299-25DC-4863-9F06-4B65ABF51103.png I may be wrong but I think that’s what the driver presses to communicate with the guard (if there is one). The “code” you see in the picture is how many times you would press the signal button.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mr heff

This is correct. Since calling the guard via telephone takes up quite alot of time, this system was devised. It is most frequently used by the guard to communicate to the driver that the doors are closed and it is safe to depart, the code for this is two buzzes. After the driver receives the buzzes from the guard, they reply with an identical message as acknowledgement. Hope this make sense :) P.S. sometimes i like to call for police assistance in TSW when i overrun a station, you can't be too careful around those grumpy AI!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1