Up Sd70m Sound - Sherman Hill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adamant365, Feb 26, 2020.

1. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

Hello All,
    I have a quick question regarding sounds...should there be a difference between the interior sound and the exterior sound with the UP SD70M on Sherman Hill?? It seems to me the cab view sound is identical to the exterior sound.

I added a third party horn to the SD70M (honestly the default is horrendous) and I hear the new horn, but there's no difference whether I'm in cab view or external view. This goes for engine sounds as well.

I found a video that nicely demonstrates how I feel it should sound:

Granted, that's TS2019, but you can clearly hear the more muffled prime mover sounds from the cab view vs. exterior.

2. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

I think I may have figured it out...after doing some research, I found info on the "Cab Occlusion" files. Cab occlusion should "muffle" the exterior sounds when the user is in-cab. As far as I can tell, the structure and locations of the files is correct to use the occlusion, but I think TS2020 is ignoring it.

I noticed also that newer DLC has a completely separate set of interior sounds for the prime mover so I think occlusion simply doesn't work in TS2020. Bummer.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  3. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

I don't think I've noticed this before, I'll have to check. Is it possible that the default horn has exterior and interior sound files, whereas he replacement horn only has one set of exterior sounds?

4. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

It's not only the horn that has the issue. I drilled down into the ShermanHillAssets.ap file and there is only one set of engine sounds. The Engine proxy file (that controls when the sound is played) has the "PlayState" as "BOTH" for all engine sounds. I think the way it was originally intended was to have one set of sounds and to simply use the Cab Occlusion to muffle those sounds when the user is in the cab.

But for whatever reason, the cab occlusion file is being ignored.

Either way, before I started messing with adding sounds, the exterior and interior engine sounds were the same.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

6. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

I couldn't find a patch so I just created my own :).

I basically took all the prime mover .dav files, converted them to .wav, ran them through a low pass filter and a little bit of EQ in Audacity and saved them. Then I made the necessary edits to the Engine proxyxml file to include my new .wavs for only inside the cab and voila. New muffled cab sounds. They aren't the greatest since I'm taking exterior sounds that don't have much low bass to begin with, but they'll do.

Took me back to my MSTS days of editing .eng and .sms files.