Updated Eu Asset Pack Models

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā, Mar 30, 2021.

1. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Probably will never happen, but some of the stock in the European Asset pack could REAAAAALLY could do with an update. Particularly, the FSA/FTA wagons, Class 165/166 (AP really needs to do an EP or at least a sound pack) and maybe even tidy up the Mk2 coaches.

Probably will never happen, but I can only dream.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

The problem is there is a lot of content using it, and it is meant to be basic. I do agree, but if it breaks any of the old scenarios - and JT in particular uses them a lot - then there is no update possible. These assets also get used in GWML, ECML, Cajon Pass, Ruhr-Sieg...you get the idea.

3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

If the European or US Loco And Asset Packs are updated in any way other than textures, about 15 years of scenarios, reskins and other things will be broken immediately and may never be fixed. A complete non-starter.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dcr raptor

dcr raptor Member

Would be better to make seperate high fidelity verisons of the trains included in the pack, than to update the pack for the reasons stated above.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

We have new stuff for most of the trains included with the pack (for the UK at least). All we really need is a new Class 165/166.

6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The Class 47 doesn't have a new alternative at the moment as the Virgin Trains 47 was withdrawn. The HST also only has the LNER version as a replacement, but it doesn't have the buffered versions. The AP packs only support the old (and inadequate) Kuju HST. I am not aware of a new 7F either. The AP/VP Class 55 is also based on the Kuju 55.

The German stuff unfortunately is still used in the case of the BR101 and BR294. The BR143 has been replaced, but the V200 and BR10 have no new versions from what I'm aware.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclone

Coincidentally, when I go to a German route for the first time, I have plans to get a pack where the 101 and one other train are involved, I think the 294...so that's fine by me. LOL I'll get to the better looking stuff as I go. :D

8. Kyle_Lennard1

Kyle_Lennard1 Active Member

I'm sorry but this will never happen any time soon as DTG have moved on from using assets/stock from the EU Assets pack with the availability of more modern assets/stock.

9. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Regarding the legacy packs, I suspect the best thing to do is to realise new versions of the original routes with updated locos/units as part of the process. The original pack must be retained for the sheer number of things reliant on it.

My proposal:
    • Updated GWML - Paddington to Oxford complete with electrification and extension to Heathrow Airport plus full connection to Willesden Junction area (for freight/railtour scenarios). Updated HST, 166 in FGW and GWR liveries plus 66 and 387.
    • Updated SDJR - Leave the route largely as it is but update the scenery. Updated Black 5 and 7F as well as MK1s.
    • Updated ECML - Leave the route largely as it is but possibly add some more suburban lines in the Newcastle area. Updated HST, 37, 47 and 55 as well as Mk2s.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cyclone

My comments:
    I have seen attempts at electrification and Heathrow that didn't really take off. An official extension would be nice. Original route mandatory, and I also think a Classic Routes Pack to allow easy acquisition of the oldest routes for the purpose of use in add-ons would be brilliant. All three routes discussed here would be part of this pack, and I'd suggest put the fictional routes, Hatchet Hill, Up the Junction, and more in too. But back to this, the extension for present-day would be welcome. The area heading to Oxford has a lot of other routes nearby, with Western Mainlines for example (and let me remind you, with the South Devon and Cornish, it goes from London Paddington all the way to PENZANCE with a detour to Oxford available) having an Oxford to Bicester extension (WML base route required). They could always do their own Bicester dated for today, or even backdate that for the era of the original route (though I prefer today). They could even connect to Bicester from as far away as the West Hampstead Thansalink, linking to London to Brighton, taking all routes to Banbury, but by now we're in new DLC territory.
    BMG already has an updated Black 5. Someone - I think Steam Sounds Supreme? - updated the 7F, and there's also a new 8F over there for those not happy with the RW model (which is now part of the Netherfield bundle as well as three others still otherwise available on their own). Therefore, a new train would be needed if this gets worked on, and with no new route to really add, there's no reason to do much with it.
    Once again, from a train perspective, this is lost. Armstrong Powerhouse has two Class 37 packs and three EPs for the HST that are heavily preferred in the community. Now, maybe DTG can work with them for an HST and a 37 exclusive to this route and perhaps make it the same model as the ones in the packs, thus allowing use of the packs on the Workshop, but I highly doubt this will ever happen. Maybe they can even do the 47 update with AP since the 47 itself doesn't have an EP, so they can provide that as part of this route and not do anything else for a 47 besides a livery pack, if anything (this might finally get those Virgin-dependent 47 liveries a new base model to start over with). The 55 has an AP sound pack, so a new train with the proper sounds may invalidate the need for that sound pack in the future. So updating this route, in theory, means either working with AP on getting exclusive content or directly competing against them, and I don't think the latter would go well for DTG from the review perspective.

Regarding route, the Northeast England line (DPSimulation, freeware!) includes Bishop Auckland to Darlington as a base but also branches, at Northallerton, to Eaglescliffe where the merge from Darlington comes in via Teeside Airport. The line then splits again, this time for good, with one branch to Thornaby, ultimately splitting after Middleborough, the end of the mainline, to go to either Tees Dock (offmap to Redcar Central with a terminus at Saltburn, a name I remember seeing on a route at UKTS from 2019 or so) or to Nunthorpe (offmap to Battersby, which I think was the other half of the UKTS route to Saltburn and also the end of a line to Whitby). The other branch from Eaglescliffe continues to a merge from Ferryhill (offmap) and continuing to Hartlepool, and ultimately to Sunderland; freight merges from the Hartlepool Pipe Mill and Seaham Harbour appear en-route, while the light rail line to South Hylton (not worth doing in TS, but could go with a TSW extension if DTG brings Derek on board to help develop Northeast England for TSW2) has a representation but doesn't go anywhere. The route terminates at Sunderland but would continue to Newcastle. I don't know if the extension is planned in the future or not, as this is stated to really be the last DPS route; if this does continue onwards then it's a good way to go out with a bang, possibly connecting to Edinburgh through ECML North. The point, of course, is that there is no reason to make payware out of this because then it invalidates all the work he put into that line.

So let's look at map connections. They could extend from Newcastle to Sunderland or connect to Nunthorpe from the ultimate terminus of Whitby and make the local line DLC nearby. Those are valid possibilities. There is also the line to Scarborough, but possibly a separate DLC (I wouldn't mind seeing that added). Newcatle to Carlisle is not an option here; this has been requested in fact for both TS and TSW2, and the length would make it a new DLC. I don't see light rail in Newcastle making it in; if anything, that might turn into something for TSW2 since those tend to be confined maps. So we have our options: Newcastle to Sunderland, York to Scarborough as an ultimate terminus...and that's about it. The freeware Northeast England LITERALLY takes care of the rest. You can't compete with free. So they would have to develop some good trains if they don't take either extension. But I would like to see this out of the three presented.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021