Updating & Retrofiting Perserved Content

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by F-Block, Jan 1, 2021.

1. F-Block

F-Block Well-Known Member

In the latest stream the issue of full on readownloads for updates came up again and I after I re-realised that some perserved trains are getting livery designer, I think I should bring this topic up again.
    I of course don't know if some retrofitting is already in happening, but my understanding is that sooner or later the entire perserved collection is getting updated because of the livery designer and a redownload is required, at minimum for the loco-only DLCs, and maybe even some of the TSW2 perserved DLC (Perserved Collection Perserved DLC/Content).

TLDR at the bottom

Now I again want to bring to your attention the huge sound issues which the player-base is very vocal about hating. And now that Doevetail is going in a direction of more community communication, not having heard anything from you guys at DTG about the sound issues is worring.
    There are further issues that take only a few mouse clicks to fix (e.g. The catenary's and catenary-masts' materials on RT, wrong dostos in formations with the BR182, maybe add a small icon which Dostos has the destination boards) which I really hope are going to be fixed for the players that can't install mods. The few-mouse-clicks-stuff propably already is in the dev-builds, but I'm just saying.

Now I also want to bring up feature improvments. On stream when asked about if a new route is going to have working PIS among other features the response is always something along the lines of "the new tech we put a lot of time & effort in will be for all new routes, that includes [the feature that was asked about], otherwise the new tech is going to waste".
    Imo this should also apply to the Perserved Collection, within reason of course. As far as I understand, PIS' on perserved collection isn't feasable, but what about LZB or just please more scenario planner formations (I know many are already in the game because of service mode, they just need to be given a friendly name and set to visible!)? I would personally really like to drive the 182 on MAG with LZB (even more knowing a MRCE 182 is in the works) and not with just stinky PZB, a 146 with it actually saying Munich on the destination board (I know this would also require an update to MAG, but maybe just update it to futureproof) , or - this may be out of reason - destination boards on older trains. And something that I would love is MORE PATHS for Scenario Planner.
    Just take the updating & retrofitting chance ;)

Sorry this got very lengthy and wordy, but I hope I got my point across. Here's the...
    TLDR:
    When updating the perserved collection bc of the livery designer or perserved content in general
    include some "few-click-fixes" that the community has fixed themselves on PC already,
    LZB and destination board retrofitting,
    more formations and paths for scenario planner

2. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

What are you on about? They have acknowledged these issues multiple times on stream, and the roadmap shows they have plans to work on quite a few routes and locos.

My general response to the rest of the stuff you've highlight is that Dovetail have said they'd like to update much of the stock with newer features from recent routes. The reason new routes get it right away is the dev times are already working on it. Old routes need to be upgraded between other tasks done by the core team, preserved team, or any other teams that may be involved such as Rivet. They are aware of these requests, they just need to work out if, or when they can slot it in to their schedule.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think that some of the older content should have layers/substitutions added to it from the newer route releases. Where it makes sense obviously.

If you use the spreadsheet that shows the German content and how it fits together you can see a pattern that the newest routes take layers and substitutions from many older routes. However, the older routes do not take content from any of the newer releases.

This is creating a gap in terms of variety and life between the older and newer releases. So as well as retrofitting PIS and platforms and lanes for scenario editor they should look at enabling some of the newer content to add substitutions/layers/ services to older routes. This would bring the older releases up to the same level of life and variety as the newer content.

• Like Like x 3