Us New Route Speculation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by MAX1319, Nov 3, 2022.

1. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I’m so excited to have an US route in the roadmap. I haven’t had the chance to look and see if we can narrowed down the route and start speculating. Any ideas?
    I would love to see New Jersey transit from Trenton or the new haven line

• Like Like x 1
  2. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Happy it’s ohle and after 2011 ngl.
    Hopefully not a fully Amtrak route. NJT would be great
    But at the same time Philly - NYP would be great ;)

I’m hoping for a NJT route
    Or a Philly - New York route with the Acela (if it’s not the dlc

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm also hoping for a NJT route, Morristown would be good.with an ALP 46 and some Arrow III's.

Alternatively the " Keystone " from Philly to Harrisburg, which is less than 100 miles, with the ACS 64 Sprinter, which is already in game.

Worst case: NEC Baltimore - Washington ( Yawn).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  4. jack travers

We definitely need a break from Northeast Corridor, but Imo It still wouldn’t be bad.

5. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I mean in terms of us passenger content, dtg has mta, amtrak, mbta, caltrain, njt (not sure where dtg is with licensing with them and stuff). I honestly would have loved for mbta with a new loco which could then layer on Boston Providence if appropriate. But with many licensing issues with different operators, the content for us passenger will be limited.

6. max1313

max1313 Active Member

I definitely don’t want the Washington to Baltimore section of the NEC .

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. max1313

max1313 Active Member

Agree that would be the worse case. But they wouldn’t need to many resources as is a section that doesn’t have much going on

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, as far as I know, they don't have the MARC license and I don't think they would include unbranded stock, so it would be very quiet with just Amtrak.

9. jack travers

I wouldn’t say We because there will always be someone obsessed with once specific Route (NEC) but a different type route is definitely a must have/want

10. max1313

max1313 Active Member

True your absolutely correct on this

11. Whippy107

Whippy107 Member

I'd LOVE to see Soldier Summit come to TSW3 one of these days, complete with the Amtrak P42 DC. I know it will not be this new route, but it's the first on my wish list so had to say something!

• Like Like x 1
  12. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

NEC is a good bet. Because of what US rail is like in real life, there are only a few places they can do if they want a route that feels anywhere close to "alive" like the European ones, and the NEC is one of those places.

We know its not going to be a diesel or third rail. And to be honest as much as I like the P42 in real life and there are a few places to slot them into the game, most aren't exactly interesting runs or busy timetables, because in real life they are used for long routes (a lot being essentially tourist trains), at least as far as Amtrak is concerned. Route length is beyond the scope of the game and we'd be lucky to even have 2 stops for one of those trains fit into a TSW2 sized route. From a TSW point of view the most likely place to see them I think would probably be in the commuter form/NY area but I am not an expert on those services at all.

FWIW current US electric rail systems, only a few possibilities for overhead AC:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_electrification_in_the_United_States#Current_systems

Looking at that list, overhead AC power where we know DTG has licensing:
    - Amtrak NEC (ACS-64 and Acela) or Philadelphia-Harrisburg main line (ACS-64). We already have the ACS-64 in game and part of the NEC in the Boston route.
    - MTA Metro North New Haven line with M8. We have the Metro-North Harlem line so the current M7A/M3A would layer onto the shared parts to GCT (and vice versa for the M8 showing up on Harlem Line). Only issue with this route is that depending on how far they go, like half of the route might be identical to the Harlem Line we have since they run together from Fordham to GCT.
    - Various NJT with ALP45 or ALP46.
    - Caltrain with their new electric Stadler EMUs (not even in service yet so I highly doubt this).

I think an NJT route involving the ALP46/45 (would be cool seeing the North American take on the DB 101), with the ACS-64 from Boston layering in would be great. Then have an Acela loco DLC that works with Boston and this new route. If they are doing an Acela DLC like a lot of people think it would be a good business move to have two routes it could be available for.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jack travers

I’m hoping dovetail don’t go back to their 40 mile route and have the route either from
    Washington - Wilmington (111 miles)
    New York - Philadelphia(97 miles)(preferred)

14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I dont see either of those 2 being options.

The former DTG doesn't have a MARC license, so no go there.
    The latter I doubt it due to them having to make the New York and Philly skyline, on top of having Trenton as well. And that line has both SEPTA and NJT, which terminates at Trenton, NJ. I dont think DTG would do a middle road like that if NJT is included. So I would assume that line would only go to Trenton, and no farther, and feature Amtrak and NJT. Still about 60ish miles so some decent running.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MAX1319

I think it comes down to time and cost. We have been told ECML an WCML won’t happen anytime soon do to the time and money it would take to make. When we got the Harlem line we all expected to go to at least southeast, we the only got it to White plains, 18 miles long. So if they go with their current trend ,and if the next US loco is the Acela ,they are going to need a route that’s cheap, not many stations, not that busy, and easy to make. We have high speed trains for Germany and UK with the two new routes with just got with TSW3.The only one that’s missing a proper high speed route is the US. This is why I believe the next route that can really showcase the Acela thats fits what their are currently producing is Washington to Baltimore. It’s about 40 miles long.Has about ten stations Top speed is 125MPH which can really show off the Acela. Since they are making the route for the Acela and the don’t have the license or the local train and don’t expect to see the MARC trains.Just like we didn’t get thameslink on the BML. I know that alot of us keep asking for the NEC Philadelphia to penn and penn to new haven. But I believe the fall in the same category as the WCML and ECML. I really hope they prove me wrong but My expections are low since don’t want to be disappointed. The will probably layer in freight from other routes and use the Depot near Washington to fill the time table. All this is speculation on my part.

Attached Files:

16. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

To be fair, if the Acela is being made, then the sections of the NEC that would really show it off are Boston to Providence (which we already have and is ready for 150MPH travel), the other part of Rhode Island that's currently unrepresented (20 or so miles of 150mph territory between Providence and Kingston), and the area of New Jersey that was recently increased to 150MPH.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jack travers

I’m praying for an Acela route that has distance to stretch the train out if a NEC route is the next route we get

18. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Passenger - smash-enger: to no one's surprise, I'm hoping for another freight-based route -- one with lots of switching activities; but an all-traffic route would make me nearly as content, if not exactly happy. As I have stated before, I think, my preference would be the St. Louis, MO Union Station in the 1940s or so, with whatever connecting rails needed to fill out a complete TSW3 route package. Why this choice? Simply and selfishly because I grew up in South St. Louis County (Afton, specifically) and remember family excursions to Union Station to watch the long passenger trains reverse through a huge wye into the passenger platforms and the view of the vast yard areas.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  19. MAX1319

Thanks for the info. I’m hoping for the area in NJ but the two stations that the Acela might operate, Philadelphia to Penn, would definitely be out of reach of TSW3. But who knows we might get surprised with something totally not expected

• Like Like x 1
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I agree, we need another US vintage route. There just isn't enough variety with modern freight or passenger. But (insert area here) in the 1950s, with glorious combinations of liveries on E-units, F-units, Alcos and Baldwins, maybe steam traction, the PRR with its GG-1s......

(But for now, I'd be happy with a GP9 for Clinchfield.......)

21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

GP7 over GP9s, CRR had 2 GP9s to their 17 GP7s.

• Like Like x 1
  22. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Although I haven't checked my Amtrak timetable recently, there have been times when Acela called at Trenton, so NEC Trenton-NYP is definitely possible, although with "longer routes" in TSW3 Phila-NYP should also be possible, although I would consider it highly unlikely. It has been written many times that Trenton-NYP with SPG and NEC-BP layering, and whatever NJT stock you might like, could be a popular choice. You could even use the ACS64 as a faux ALP44 with some MBTA cum NJT coaches for pretend Clockers and an NJT F40 with coaches for AI North Coast Line Hoboken services, depending on your selected era and willingness to stretch credulity. If it does ever happen, I'm just hoping for a Joethefish timetable. Respect.

23. MAX1319

I agree. Trento to Penn would be a great route. Also think of all the freight that can layer in. There’s a lot of freight hat can be added for all the freight fans and is a win win for all. This could be on the busiest US timetable to do date if they done properly with hopefully thinking long term. If they add the Hoboken station and yard that would add tons of more services.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

My hope is the Raritan Valley Line for some reason. It can contain stuff like NJT GP40PH-2's with Comets and maybe ex-Conrail CSX GP38's and SD40's on CSAO jobs. We'll see tho.

25. MAX1319

I know the US route they announced is overhead AC

26. its clear its NJ Transit or NEC

27. solicitr

NEC has the advantage that they can re-use the Acela, which will drop soon as a loco DLC.

28. MAX1319

If it is the NEC PHL- NYP or Trenton to NYP next US route, Do you think Hoboken Station would be included?
    I played the NJT:Morristown&coastline on TSC and it was well done DLC.The Hoboken station looks great with the NYC background. In my opinion if it is a NJT route they have to include Hoboken terminal station

29. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Hoboken would not be included for either of these routes, since it is only peripherally related to the NEC. Even if it was in the game, my guess is that the NYC skyline would be "beyond the horizon."

30. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

i Agree with you, its about time for TSW3 to get NJT, it is already long overdue, and i think its about we should get it. But imagine they do the New Haven Line, that would also be awesome because we finally get the M8 :D:cool:;)

31. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I really think that now they have the technology for the team to make a full route line for the New Haven Line, as well in the future they should add on to the Southeastern for the Harlem Line. :D:cool:

32. MAX1319

I looked at the potential NEC- PHL- NYP route and here are the potential number of timetable routes for it.

From Newark/broad street to Penn statio-56
    From Penn to Newark/broad street-56. These are from the Montclair/Boonton,Morristown/Gladstone lines

Ratitan Valley line from Newark Penn to NYP 16 both ways, 8 and 8, 20 AI trains that terminate at Newark Penn

The NEC line from Trenton to Penn- 94
    The NEC line from Penn to Trenton-94
    North Jersey line from Rahway to Penn- 38
    North Jersey line from Penn to Rahway-38

Amtrak- PHL- NYP AC64-33
    Amtrak-NYP-PHL AC64-33
    Amtrak -Acela Penn to PHL-12
    Amtrak-Acela PHL to Penn-12

Total services 482 not including any AI trains or freight layers
    The LIRR can be use for layering trains at penn for AI
    The sunnyside yard is a must

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  33. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

You could add septa services from Trenton to Philly to this list

34. cantonn100

cantonn100 New Member

I wish there are more Canadian routes for Train Sim World. Some Canadian routes on my wish list for TSW3 are Rogers Pass on the Canadian Pacific and the Canadian National Albreda subdivision.

• Like Like x 2
  35. MAX1319

I didn’t add Septa services since i don’t believe DTG doesn’t has their license

• Like Like x 1
  36. solicitr

While any part of the NEC would be fertile ground for a route, in practice DTG are at present limited to the northern end if they include commuter rail (as they must), as they have licenses for MBTA, MTA and NJT, but not Septa, MARC or Metro.

37. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I am hoping NJT to get one of their Americanized versions of the DB 101 (either the electric ALP-46 or dual mode ALP-45). One of those paired up with the ACS-64 along with the rumoured Acela would make for a fun route.

• Like Like x 2
  38. MAX1319

What type of freight action can we expect from NEC- PHL NYP?

• Like Like x 1
  39. solicitr

Philly all the way to Manhattan? Way too long for TSW- that's 100 miles.

40. MAX1319

How long is the extended SEHS? But if not PHL then from trenton which is around 57 miles

41. rennekton#1349

Sehs is like 90 miles. But remember around half was already laid down from the original. They still had to update assets and environment and stuff but the track was already there. They had to build the rest from scratch.

42. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

NJ Transit NEC Trenton to NY Penn because routes like NJCL and Morris & Essex lines have 25kv 60hz sections which means Code K Dual Voltage.
    This is the New Brunswick to Trenton section At New Brunswick station the 1930s headspan poles are there. This is visible on the dual carriageway that runs under the New Brunswick Raritan River Bridge which is Route 18.

43. kobo

kobo Active Member

with the discussion of NJT, and maybe RVL, hoboken terminal would be included as there is one eastbound train out of raritan yard that goes to hoboken, and there are a few trains that turn at NJT meadows complex in kearny. but given the route code suggests it won't be rvl, i hope i'm wrong.

44. cantonn100

cantonn100 New Member

Some US routes I would wish to appear in TSW3.
    1. Part of the BNSF Seligman subdivision featuring Flagstaff, AZ which is a popular railfan spot.
    2. BNSF Marias Pass in Montana.

45. applesnax#6064

applesnax#6064 Active Member

Dunno how y'all feel about the Amtrak Auto Train, but I would love to ferry passengers and their vehicles.

46. pilly to new york is in the ball park no such thing as to long

• Like Like x 1
  47. MAX1319

I hope DTG learned from BCC. I hope they do it right with the next US route. They have an opportunity to really make a great route with a variety of different services

48. rennekton#1349

Well that would require the right trains which the game might or might not have. Then they also need someone like Daisy who can really capture everything and get good reference material, sound recordings, new features, etc. It was like a work with Daisy and the team at dtg that made all this possible.

49. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

NEC Trenton to NY Penn via Rutgers College Ave Campus New Brunswick Station and Newark Airport ALP-46A Code B AC electric ALP-46 NJCL code K dual voltage due to the 25kv 60hz Matawan Long Branch section since 2002. ALP-45DP RVL code E dual mode

50. MAX1319

Now that the BCC is out, when can do you think we will get the official Us route announced?
    Do you think the route would be announced first before the loco?