Using Decals In Reskins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by solicitr, Jul 26, 2020.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There are a ton of tutorials on repainting rolling stock, and I've done my first livery changeover. But while all the tutorials cover the elaborate business of file conversion and channel manipulation, and some go into basic Photoshop/Gimp, not one, that I've found, covers or even mentions what should be a major tool: the use of decals. Certainly I can open the decal texture file, and I can substitute a new decal for an old one in the same location... but I have no clue by what method decal positions are placed, or how one can add and subtract them from the model.

Any advice?

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Easiest (and dirtiest) way of removing a decal is to paint the alpha channel to make the image transparent, the only way to remove or move a decal is by opening the model in a 3D modelling program (not even sure what programs are used for TS models tbh as I haven't delved into it with this game yet)

To paint the alpha channel follow these steps:

1) Find the correct .TgPcDx file (I recommend using RSBin Tool for this)
    2) Convert .TcPcDx file to .dds file (using RSBin)
    3) Open .dds file in either DXTBMP (my preferred program) or with a Plug-in for whatever graphics software you use.
    4) Open/select the Alpha channel in graphics software and paint it all black
    5) Save file in graphics software
    6) Refresh and save file in DXTBMP (if you went this route)
    7) Import .dds into existing (please make a copy of original) .TgPcDx in RSBin Tool
    8) Save and exit RSBin Tool
    9) Clear cache in assets folder
    10) Run game

Not saying this is the only way or even the best way it's just the way I do it, and I haven't even gone into making your edit a standalone that requires even more additional steps.