Using Google Maps To Create A Route

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cameron1977, Dec 18, 2020.

1. cameron1977

cameron1977 New Member

Hi all, Since I'm on furlough I thought I'd use the time to try a route build.

I volunteer as a signalling engineer for East Lancs Railway in North Manchester and would love to build the route for TS21.

I'm sure I once read that routes can be built on images from google maps, but cant really find much info about it, has anyone here tried it?

2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Surprised no one has answered your question, I watched a Just Trains twitch stream and believe I saw Tom using Google Maps. I have never attempted designing, so cannot give you any advice, but come on guys, there must be someone on here that can help our new member Cameron1977

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

4. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Keep in mind that you MUST have valid billing information on your Google Developer account in order for the Static Maps API key to function

5. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Its pretty simple to do once you got your google account set up go into the google console and set the api maps up then request a key and copy and paste it into train simulator under the tools section.

6. Articuno

Articuno Well-Known Member

7. barspeed

barspeed New Member

Just went through the Dovetail guide to set up the Google Maps Api, ensured my billing account was up to date and set it all up and all I get are the blue circles spinning. On the Google back office I got a 100% failure rate whatever that means.

8. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Do you have internet security?, i found when my mcafee expired and windows defender took over my google maps stopped working but as soon as i renewed mcafee it worked again

9. barspeed

barspeed New Member

Google Maps via the client is working, I have no additional security and no Defender, no firewall settings etc

10. Sharpey

Sharpey Member

Try my settings:
    Map resolution: 1280 x 1280
    Map type: Satellite
    Zoom level: 75%
    Tiles displayed: 7 x 7