Vogelfluglinie Lübeck Hbf - Puttgarden 1985

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SpDrS42, Aug 31, 2022.

1. SpDrS42

SpDrS42 Member

Hello all,

even though there is already a thread for the "Vogelfluglinie", I am creating a new one, as for me the period from 1980 to 1990 is clearly more interesting than the year 2011.

The Vogelfluglinie is a - for the most part - single-track line connecting Germany with Denmark and Sweden. It runs from Lübeck via no less than 20 stations to Puttgarden. The line bears the route number 1100 and is 88.6 km long. The maximum speed on the line is 160 km/h, although only 120-140 km/h can be reached on most of the route.

The stations on this route are Lübeck Hbf, Bad Schwartau, Timmendorfer Strand, Scharbeutz, Sierksdorf, Neustadt( Holst) Gbf, Neustadt (Holst) Pbf, Hasselburg, Groß Schlamin, Beschendorf, Lensahn, Grüner Hirsch, Oldenburg (Holst), Göhl, Heringsdorf (Holst), Neukirchen (Holst), Lütjenbrode, Großenbrode, Strukkamp, Burg (Fehmarn) West and Puttgarden.

Between Lübeck Hbf and Neustadt (Holst) Pbf, the Vogelfluglinie is also referred to as the "Bäderbahn" (seaside railway), as the line in this section lies directly on the Baltic Sea, at least between Timmendorfer Strand and Sierksdorf.

In Neustadt (Holst) Gbf, today's branch line branches off in the direction of Pbf, and in Neustadt (Holst) there was also the railway line in the direction of Eutin. However, this was already out of service at the time mentioned above.

Shunting took place at the stations Lübeck Hbf, Bad Schwartau, Timmendorfer Strand, Neustadt (Holst) Gbf & Pbf, Lensahn, Oldenburg (Holst), Heringsdorf (Holst), Lütjenbrode, Großenbrode, Burg (Fehmarn) and Puttgarden. This consisted on the one hand of passenger trains, which were prepared and parked, and on the other hand of the much more interesting services of the local connections.

The stations Lübeck Hbf, Bad Schwartau, Timmendorfer Strand, Scharbeutz, Haffkrug, Sierksdorf, Neustadt (Holst) Pbf, Lensahn, Oldenburg (Holst), Großenbrode, Burg (Fehmarn) and Puttgarden also had platforms for express trains (so-called D-trains) as well as for local trains (so-called E-trains).

As rolling stock, the classes 216, 218, 290 and 360 (at that time called 260) would be fantastic and would reflect the original traffic well. Of course, matching passenger/express train carriages and freight wagons would not be amiss.

I, at least, would be willing to pay more than 30€ for this line, if it really reflects reality well and the freight traffic does not only consist of interval timetables.

Finally, here are a few pictures (to see it click on the image):
    [​IMG]
    The original tracks from Bad Schwartau
    [​IMG]
    The exit signals in the direction of Timmendorfer Strand in Ratekau
    [​IMG]
    The port area in Neustadt (Holst) had a railway siding. The tracks there are still there today. To the right is the passenger station.
    [​IMG]
    The exit signals in the direction of Hasselburg in Groß Schlamin
    [​IMG]
    Presignal repeater in Lensahn. Track 1 was on the left, track 2 is on the right (direction to Grüner Hirsch)
    [​IMG]
    The old route between Heiligenhafen and Lütjenbrode, by now used as a cycle path
    [​IMG]
    Presignal of the entry signal in Großenbrode (between Lütjenbrode and Großenbrode)
    [​IMG]
    The famous Fehmarn-Sund-Bridge, in Germany also "Kleiderbügel" called
    [​IMG]
    InterCity in Burg (Fehmarn)
    [​IMG]
    The big station Puttgarden. Yesterday it went out of service. At the very back on the left side, the goods trains arrived at that time. The tracks here were used for loading onto the ferries and, of course, also for passenger train stops.

Feel free to write your opinion about this line.

Many greetings from Germany

• Like Like x 4
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

DB BR290 & 260 (363) are needed at Puttgarden Ferry terminal to Shunt the IC Coaches onto the ferry. DB BR218 has white and blue paint job

• Like Like x 2
  3. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Including the ICE TD would make it much more awesome

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I remember being shunted on and off the train ferry on a number of occasions.

Fully endorse this route and era - would give us some DB and possibly DSB UIC coaches to play with. The DB ones only had hard plastic seating in second class, while the Danish coaches had plush cloth upholstery!

5. SpDrS42

SpDrS42 Member

Unfortunately, in my opinion, this is not the case at all. The IC 3 of the DSB and the ICE TD of Deutsche Bahn make the service very monotonous and boring. As an additional DLC sometime later with a newer timetable, I would like that, but in my opinion the focus should really be on the 1980s, simply because you can shunt so extensively there and the route was much more interesting at that time than after the turn of the millennium.

6. OldVern

Indeed - I did Kobenhavn to Hamburg after the IC3 "White Worms" took over the service and, while comfortable, very boring - for a DMU you couldn't even hear the engine inside the passenger saloon.

7. SpDrS42

SpDrS42 Member

Not only for Puttgarden. The class 360 can also be used for shunting traffic on Fehmarn in the direction of Landkirchen (branch in Burg).
    The class 290 would be practical for shunting traffic in the remaining railway stations, i.e. Lensahn, Oldenburg, Heringsdorf, Großenbrode, etc.
    While the 360 actually loaded the wagons onto the ferry in Puttgarden, the 290 had (almost) nothing to do in Puttgarden.

8. driverwoods#1787

How about the old coaches which required the DB BR363 to shunt them onto the ferry.

9. OldVern

I already mentioned that further up the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think we've got enough ICEs already. They start to look alike, pretty much like all the Electrostars and Talent 2 units we have with their minor differences which all look pretty much the same.

11. driverwoods#1787

ICE-T and ICE-TD have a less pointed nose than a DB BR403 & DB BR406. ICE-T Riesa-Dresden is it's home end destination Wiesbaden to Riesa but Dresden Hbf from Riesa. ICE-TD Max Speed 200 kmh 125mph.

12. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Don't care. Differences are still too subtle and I'd rather see a new train that's notably different.

13. raph#6037

raph#6037 Member

The more you know, those trains are almost completely different. The cab itself is pretty similar, but that's due to the fact that more modern MFA cabs all have a similar layout. But what do I know :P

• Like Like x 1