Vr Expansion Wanted

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by stevenc, Nov 3, 2021.

1. stevenc

stevenc New Member

Will there ever be a route / loco available to make use of the PS4 / PS5 VR? Being a simulator this is the ultimate immersion. VR is highly desirable for all the PSVR headset owners out there but it never seems to get the attention it deserves from Dovetail Games.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

See the other VR threads. In surveys in what the community wants, VR has come bottom both times.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw2-vr-support-release-date.33150/

So while Matt (Executive Producer) is keen on VR, it’s unlikely to happen soon.

From my point of view, TSW2 is already quite a niche product. When you look at those customers that also have VR headsets. The number is probably pretty small.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. stevenc

stevenc New Member

Thanks for the info Tigert1966, especially so as I'm fairly new on the forums, although been playing the game for some time. I'll need to keep an eye out for the next survey so my vote counts. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Keep making noise and asking the question though stevenc

welcome to forum!

5. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

IL-2 Great Battle's also niche, frankly seems to be way more niche considering it's player numbers are less than TSW2 even with just the PC player base. And TSW2 has Xbox and PlayStation consoles that from what DTG have said have similar numbers to those on PC. Yet IL-2 has had VR for years, if it has the player base to warrant it frankly TSW2 should have a big enough player base for it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I think it's worth looking at it the other way round: People with VR headsets actively look for VR stuff to use on them. The opportunity to get a driver's eye view in a train, or better yet, a steam train, could actually pull in quite a few VR owners who would never otherwise look for a train sim to play. I own all sorts of random games purely because they were in the VR section.

Similarly, I bought Ace Combat 7 purely because it had a highly rated VR experience, then spent quite a lot of time playing the rest of the game, even buying into additional DLC. If you build it...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  7. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

VR would be a big mess. There's a lot of stuff in this game we simply ignore because that's the way it is. But in VR you would not be able to ignore it. This game is all about realism so when you literally step in that virtual world everything has to look realistic. There is a difference between the realism of the trains and the world around it in this game. The trains are way better modelled than the world. In VR it would look like a train made out of steel in a world made out of cardboard. You would need a much bigger studio to make this work as you would need much more detail in the world itself.

A few weeks ago I read something about a plane at Gatwick not looking like a plane because the way the engines were portrayed. At the moment I think that is not a problem because I still didn't get the opportunity to gaze at the planes engines but this is different when you are in VR. When in VR exploring becomes more of a thing and you look at a world differently.

In VR sound becomes even more important. When you hear birds on a beach you should be able to spot them or they become ghost birds. Getting out of a cab when it's raining is already immersion breaking on a flat screen in VR this becomes even more noticeable.

I think this game would not get raving reviews if it was in VR because people would look at the game with a different set of eyes and ears.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Factor41

I agree that sounds would be important because you have much more tendency to respond to their direction in VR with headphones in. The scenery, I'd disagree with though. You'll be looking at distant scenery with a slightly lower resolution through VR so the experience becomes much more about your immediate surroundings - in this case, the train itself.

In GT Sport, for example you're seeing far less detail through the small area of your view that makes up the windscreen, so it's not as easy to anticipate opponents or hit apexes as it would be using bumper cam on a 4K display. Sitting in the seat of a race car and looking around at the detail in the car itself is where the real feel of the VR experience comes from. The textures and the proximity of controls, dashboard, roll cage elements. That, along with the scale of things, which you don't really get at all on a flat screen, is what people would be looking for, particularly the difference between those big US locos and the more confined cab space in a tube train.

As has been said in other threads, it's one of those things that's hard to convince people of. Much like the PS5 itself, everyone who's got one thinks it's great, everyone who hasn't thinks it's not worth the effort... Until we get an actual VR demo to see it for ourselves, it's going to be impossible to judge.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. antwerpcentral

I don't like GT Sport in VR. It's too gimmicky. Played it 3 times and done. And that is probably what I want to describe. VR works for me in a fantasy world. But when it's realism you need a lot of power to make that work. PS4 Pro did not have enough power to make GT Sport enjoyable in VR. Transport the gimmick that is GT Sport VR to a world with a track length of 50km and you gonna need a lot of power to provide realism.

10. AVeryFatElf

AVeryFatElf Well-Known Member

This makes absolutely ZERO sense and is frankly bit of an odd take on VR in my opinion. I've heard nobody else make such a statement from using any other sim that has implemented VR. Whatever your view is based on seems really misinformed and completely misses the point of VR. Sure we're still a little bit off from insane photo-realism in VR due to computing requirements for rendering each eye at high resolution with high FOV but how come a train sim is different from anything else?

Also your view on sound, it really puzzles me. There is no issue with sound with the game or unreal engine regarding headphone usage, what makes you think its going to be dramatically different with VR? The basis of sound mapping persists into VR as it does with 2D gameplay, can you elaborate the problem you're pointing out?

If there's a problem with rain and if it looked weird in VR, I'm sure it would be a somewhat easy fix surely. There's already fan made mods that are addressing rain and other weather elements, I'm sure DTG could fix this if it was a major issue for VR.

Sorry if i come across volatile but I'm really puzzled with some of the odd views (IMHO) surrounding VR for this game. I've seen so many people making misinformed statements about VR which is a dire shame as it creates unnecessary bias against VR when its an exciting and rapidly growing tech area. We have so many sims implementing VR, including what others would perceive to be niche yet DTG are shooting themselves in the foot (again IMHO) by not at least developing this on the side. I've said it before but I would settle for even just an active headset so i can at least view the game in VR. If implementing the controllers with the environment is problematic then I'm happy for that not to be included for the time being but a lot of people would be happy to sit with a controller or keyboard for controlling the locos etc and playing the game with.

Lastly, I am persistent about this because it was said WAY before the game was released that VR, amongst other items, was to be included in the game yet as we have seen it has been cast aside. I also keep hearing about polls that supposedly keep taking place but I've never seen anything about this. They should really be advertising major polls in-game so that all users get a chance to voice what they want. If they are doing it locally within the forums, that's poor show as not everyone will be looking on the forums, especially console gamers.

• Like Like x 3
  11. AVeryFatElf

PREACH!

I've said this to many many others. Not only would it attract new and current VR owners, there's people who like sims regardless of if its a train, truck, race car or tram etc etc. Derail valley has been a big hit but it lacks the realism of TSW and feels too arcade despite being pleasent to play though, especially being able to gauge distance when shunting etc

DTG need to stop just basing every major decision off of polls and lead! They are the only major creator of a domestic railway sim and yet are failing to stay current, falling behind when the likes of other sims are already implementing VR.

• Like Like x 2
  12. antwerpcentral

So none of what I said made zero sense but you start using mods to plug the holes that I mentioned? That makes zero sense! I'm on console so there will be no mods for the TSW VR experience. Sure if you dream and dream you can have the best train VR sim experience but its one thing to be passionate, it's another thing to be realistic.

13. Factor41

AVeryFatElf literally said, "I'm sure DTG could fix this" - he's not expecting mods to sort any issues with rain – if there were to be any.

I'm not sure how much experience you have of VR, but the viewpoint position is the same as you'd see on screen, but with a wider field of view. If the detail in TSW2 is good enough for a 4K display, it would be plenty good enough for VR where your display pixels are effectively spread thinner across your wider view.

The added depth perception you'll gain from having a true 3D view works whether you have a photorealistic environment or basic flat blocks, and many Unreal titles make use of the built in VR functionality with the same environments as they use for non-VR play, to brilliant effect.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it would be "a big mess".

• Like Like x 1
  14. AVeryFatElf

What's not realistic about VR in a game that, by genre, is common to have VR implemented along with the fact the game engine it's built in natively supporting?

• Like Like x 1
  15. antwerpcentral

It's about the big picture. Look at the performance issues today and that's only one screen. Sure this game would be ideally for VR but the game needs to be fixed a lot before you can even really dream about VR. VR is all about immersion and DTG aren't yet there in creating that ultimate illusion.

16. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

MSFS has worse performance issues, there's been a lot of performance updates and my rig still can't deliver 30+ fps, or indeed even 20+ fps in some scenarios. Yet they still added in a VR mode, and I know there's quite a few people that have used and enjoyed that despite how high end MSFS is. Fact is TSW's not the extremely high end game it was in 2017, hardware has gotten better, and TSW itself has a lot of performance enhancements. If MSFS can push VR despite how much of a rig you need to pull it off then TSW's almost certainly good enough to do so at this point.

17. cptainnevica#6145

cptainnevica#6145 Member

IMHO, the argument that VR features low in the wish list of players is that VR hasn’t broken through yet and therefore has no significant user base. What’s needed is “The Killer VR Experience”. DTG - You have it !!! Sony have new PS5 VR technology on the way. They MUST be looking for something that no other console has. Surely it’s worth talking with them. They are investing in all sorts of genres to secure PS5 sales into the future. Only a blind mass of entrepreneurs would miss the opportunity of TSW2-VR. Sony sponsor a freebie on PSPlus for the intro, make your money on the additional routes, locos etc. They will come piling in. I needed a prod from a mate and a discounted intro to TSW2 in order to get involved. Since then I’ve spent a few more pounds than I ever expected.

18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It’s a chicken and egg thing, this whole people don’t want vr so we focus on what people want first I’d the commercial way to say “ the board are unprepared to see if it’s a hit because of it being unadapted technology”. Where’s musk when you need him with his weird electric car that would never take off

19. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

If PlayStation wanted something to really expand VR's appeal there's a lot better options out there. For example Valve's very open to porting their content to other platforms, for example they're bringing Portal 1 & 2 to Nintendo Switch, even though it's the main competitor to the Steam Deck. Honestly I could see Sony convincing Valve to port Half Life Alyx to PSVR, that would be a truly massive wins for them, and they'd appeal to a far larger audience than TSW.