Wcml South Weird Evening Lighting.....

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by paulc, Apr 11, 2022.

1. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Is this normal/bugged or is it something wrong with my setup/install??

WCML South 21:30 summer time.....
    Load in 30 mins before/after and all is ok.

Screenshot_WCML South_51.91470--0.67795_21-41-33.jpg Screenshot_WCML South_51.92367--0.67607_21-41-56.jpg Screenshot_WCML South_51.99392--0.73593_21-46-33.jpg

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I can't help you with this one because I have the Armstrong Powerhouse Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack and also RWEnhancer 2.
    20220411235746_1.jpg

20220411235756_1.jpg

But yeah there's definitely something wrong with yours, have you altered the brightness slider (Main Menu/Settings)?

• Like Like x 1
  3. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I'll be getting RW Enhancer, all lighting settings are default. I'll probably get the AP Weather :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

paulc Just seen this same issue posted on Facebook, Turn off Adaptive Bloom if it's on, see if that fixes it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It's the silly boosted TS2020+ Adaptive Bloom shader.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look for Adaptive Bloom.

7. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Tried the same route/train/time ect & its sorted! Thanks :) I`ll cancel my order for a new GFX card!

• Like Like x 1
  8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I posted this a long time ago.

DTG Jamie
    As the AdaptiveBloom is boosted way too much since the 2020 update, would it be possible to ship TS Classic with the old shader file? It looked good, gave a much more decent bloom and colour saturation.

And I do not like the look without AdaptiveBloom, looks too aged and colourful then.

I am aware of 3rd party Enhancers but that's not the point here.

I'm still using it, but reading the disclaimer I'm not allowed to upload it here for fellow players.

File: dev\Shaders\train_post_bloom.fx.o

Thanks.

Original Suggestion post:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/fix-adaptive-bloom-revert-to-pre-2020-shader.48574/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Torf
    What is the date on the dev\Shaders\train_post_bloom.fx.o file mine says 15th April 2022 suggesting it may change for whatever reason? (I suddenly realised the reason mine changed was I loaded RWEnhncer 2 yesterday to update some files, etc).
    I would be interested in knowing the date of the file that works for you so I can compare it to the newer file.
    Thanks

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

RWEnhancer probably overwrites the default shaders and has its own backup system. (I used it back when it was the freeware OldSnakeMod. You had to manually copy the shaders and create backup folders. Because of that I still have the pre-2020 shader. Thx OldSnake :) )

The file date of the current (boosted) train_post_bloom.fx.o is Sep 9, 2019, 28 188 bytes. It was released with TS2020. I am still convinced this happened accidentally because no Dev ever commented on the issues for years. Paulc's image is a perfect example what a high contrast situation in the evening or morning hours cause!

The file date of the previous (nice) train_post_bloom.fx.o is Sep 22, 2015, 28 988 bytes. That is when I installed TS2016.

AdaptiveBloom is the only shader that has changed in the last 7 years. (New ones were added though, for the screen filters)

Note: The .fx is files are just like xml are to bins. TS uses the compiled .o shaders. Just modyfing the source .fx files does not change anything if you're not able to compile them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Peter Hayes

Thanks - I will have a look at that old 2015 file to see if the old file gives a better representation of the ToD.

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

This is most certainly a 3D weather with Dynamic Clouds shot from PaulC, I guess "3D 1.Clear" quickdrive, it has a brighter sky than the 2D ToD weather.

I'll try to recreate a similar shot comparing both shaders again.

Summer, Jul 1, 2010, 3D 1.Clear, default settings, current Adaptive Bloom shader:
    newbloom.png

Same situation, old Adaptive Bloom shader:
    oldbloom.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2022
  13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

And this is probably the most striking example. Ruhr-Sieg, "Sleep Tight"
    Again: All Graphics settings (contrast, brightness, ambient light) on Default

Current Adaptive Bloom - over the top!
    newbloom2.png

Old Adaptive Bloom
    oldbloom2.png

Peter, as the shaders are cached you need to restart TS after swapping the shader file. You'll probably know already... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2022
  14. Peter Hayes

Torf
    Yes, I did - Thx! (I will also set RWE2 to default before comparing!
    Great descriptive screenies - show the difference between the old and new,