Weird Gfx Glitching On Fife Circle Only

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Aryffordd, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

So, as there's a sale on, I finally picked up the TS21 Deluxe edition. But I'm having very odd graphical glitching on the Fife Circle route:

Screenshot_Fife Circle Line Edinburgh to Dunfermline_55.93987--3.24419_11-12-29.jpg
    Screenshot_Fife Circle Line Edinburgh to Dunfermline_56.00871--3.39255_17-33-26.jpg

Now, I have a *very very* unusual setup, so I'm just pleased to be able to run TS at all, but what's odd is that this is *only* happening on Fife Circle, not on any of my other routes, new or old. I've tried messing about with the graphics settings, removing and redownloading the DLC, and even totally reinstalling the entire game, along with Steam, from scratch, with no luck.

It's not the end of the world - sadly the route's undrivable for me, but at least I can use the rolling stock on other routes.

What I'm wondering is, is there something specific about the way the Fife Circle route has been built that makes it different from other routes? Does anyone have any insights?

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes. It is a Graphics problem with ONE item in the route just on Your Computer
    If the problem affected everyone other people they would have said something.

So why reinstall the game?
    Do a File Verify and see if that fixes it

3. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Oh it’s definitely my system, Peter. That’s why I didn’t request a refund or put in a support ticket or in any way criticise DTG or the route builders, or indeed why I didn’t imply that, or ask if, anyone else had had the same problem. There’s no expectation on my part for DTG to fix an issue caused by my running their product on an unsupported platform at all!

Quite the reverse. If there was something different about the way Fife Circle was built, and that difference was something that a route builder could have explained, then perhaps there was the possibility that I could have had a crack at trying to address it myself.

But more importantly for me, if there was something different in the way that this specific route was built, I could put it down to “one of those things” and just carry on building my collection. But if it’s no different to any other route, then in future I should probably stick to purchasing strictly on Steam, where I have the insurance that if something doesn’t work (for me, because I’m using an unsupported platform), then I can get a refund and buy a different route instead.

Why did I reinstall stuff? Because there was the possibility that a file could have become corrupted, somewhere in the installation, perhaps in Steam, TS core or the route, or the graphics drivers in my Crossover / WINE installation, and that that could have been causing the issue rather than something inherent in the route itself. I wanted to remove as many potential variables and causes as possible.

Anyhow. Thanks for the advice about running a file verification check. I’ll give it a go.

4. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I guess we need to know what video card and driver are you using, and what graphics settings being used in TS.
    Is the monitor resolution used in TS the same as the Windows recommended resolution?
    Any temperature issues with the video card?

You seemed to have carried out a file verification already, (you say: "reinstalling the whole game"), - but have you cleared the blueprint cache inside TS itself? (ie deleted the blueprints.pak files in the \STEAM\SteamApps\common\railworks\Assets folder)?

Does this occur with every scenario included with Fife Circle?

5. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Thanks for the blueprints.pak advice - I gave it a go and no luck. I've not tried all the scenarios yet but it does it on all the ones I've tried, around half, plus QD with various traction. I've also tried fiddling with various resolutions and graphics quality settings both within TS, and adjusting various settings on my computer and Crossover / WINE.

It's just one of those things, and just to repeat, there's no blame on the developers at all - as mentioned, I'm running on a very unusual and unsupported system, it doesn't even have a x86 processor! So the fact I can run the game so well and that my other routes work is a bonus for me, and I'm grateful to be able to do so.

If there had been something unusual in how Fife Circle had been built, then it kept the door open for DTG sales in the future, but I think I'll stick to Steam purchases from here on in, just to be safe.

Many thanks to both of you for your advice. Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi!

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Somebody else was reporting a problem on a different route but with similar Graphics problem.
    That turned out to be a problem with one of the older assets on the route.
    But as this is just the base route without any modifications I'm not sure what could cause it.
    Although I did have a similar problem with Doncaster Works
    Donc 4_1.jpg
    That was caused by some of the track being out of date.

Not quite sure I understand that?
    If you purchase something from DTG's website then you get a key to use on the Steam website.
    If you purchase it from the Steam website then its the same
    Either way there is one version of the route installed

Try removing the route via the Steam Client
    Click on Library > Train Simulator 2021 > Manage my DLC on the rh side
    Find the Fife Circle and untick the route and then click on Save
    Go in to \railworks\Content\Routes\ then find the 00000094-0000-0000-0000-000000002019 folder and Delete it.
    Go in to \railworks\Assets\DTG and Delete the Fife Circle folder (EDIT)
    Back in the Steam Client go back to Manage my DLC
    Find the Fife Circle and tick the route and then click on Save

That will install the route again from scratch

Peter

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  7. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Really interesting - that’s very very similar to elsewhere on the route for me (near Edinburgh Gateway). I should screen capture a little segment of video to show what’s happening really.

The difference here is the refund policy between Steam and DTG. If you buy a code from DTG then redeem it on Steam it is unrefundable. If you buy directly from Steam, they’ll refund you providing you’ve been using the route for less than 2 hours.

Regarding the uninstalling method, I had only been removing the DLC from within the Steam client, not doing the additional step of deleting the folder within Railworks too - I’ll give that a go too tomorrow then - No harm in trying! Thanks for the tip.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I just got Fife Circle yesterday so if you still have the problem l will give the route a run

Peter

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Did it work?

10. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Ha! No, sadly not. I think I've given up. I've tried a few more different settings without success. Here's today's latest fun glitch:

Screenshot_Fife Circle Line Edinburgh to Dunfermline_55.95199--3.19039_12-16-33.jpg

Such is life using unsupported platforms. I've got plenty of other lovely routes to drive, and I can still make use of the rolling stock :) But I know I have to be a little careful in future, that's all.

(Apologies for the delay in responding)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2020