West Coastway Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jcalmann, Oct 3, 2022.

1. jcalmann

jcalmann Member

Since we have Brighton in two routes, London Commuter and East Coastway, why not add West Coastway too. I mean, doing Brighton - Barnham/Bognor Regis would be cool, but maybe an extension all the way to Havant or Portsmouth Harbour would be nice too.

Class 313's go from Brighton to Porstmouth HBR and the class 377 go from Brighton to Southampton. Both units are already in the game! Plus, London Victoria services could be playable from Hove/Preston Park all the way down to Littlehampton. At night, around 23:40, a London Victoria service to Bognor Regis goes via Hove and Worthing, which would give more vairety.

The Class 166 is already in game and can be ustilised between Portsmouth HBR and Fratton for a short run as they head up to Cardiff Central. If the route was set before the pandemic, then the Class 166 could run from Portsmouth HBR to Brighton early in the morning, then you can take it back to Havant later on with its Great Malvern service.

Honestly, I think Brighton - Portsmouth HBR can be done as its approx. about 50-52 miles, and the London Commuter is 60 miles, if I'm not mistaken. They could possibly extend the route to Southampton Central which is approx. 60 miles. This allows the added possibilty of players driving a London Victoria train from the Arun Valley from Barnham to Porstmouth/Southapton.

I might be a little biased as I live on this route, but if the East Coastway and London Commuter is part of the game, then I don't see why West Coastway can't. Its the missing link.

I would be happy if they done Brighton - Barnham/Littlehampton/Bognor as its a nice route. But doing Brighton - Portsmouth HBR/Southampton Central give more variety in services.

One downside of the Portsmouth to Southampton line is that are no SWR/SWT trains in the game currently, so that portion of the route would be a bit dull and bland.

• Like Like x 5
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Great suggestion.

3. lewielevy

lewielevy Well-Known Member

Pls not another Southern route...

• Like Like x 4
  4. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

And neither another brighton route and Electrostars

• Like Like x 3
  5. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

How about setting this in the slam door era?
    That way you use scenario planner to run new units on West Coastway and old units on East Coastway and London Commuter.

• Like Like x 3
  6. cjp#8580

cjp#8580 New Member

Lime the idea of the westcostway route

• Like Like x 1
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Perhaps in the future but not anytime soon please. Bored of having Southern routes, as we have enough of them already.

Somewhere anywhere OTHER than the South would be a nice change.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree. Wait two years, then set it in the slam door era. Besides it would give a third route converging on Brighton, not linking to the others.

9. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

It would be so much fun to drive trains across bland flat southern English countryside which we already have tones of in game, but don't fear we will get a 377 (part of the absolutely fabulous Electrostar family) to enjoy the route with along with a 313. Spiffing!

I think somewhere in there I am trying to say what others above have said which is that we need to venture away from the southeast and if this does get done do it in slam door days with not one Electrostar in sight.

• Like Like x 2
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

If they wanted to do something Southern England, then maybe part of Bristol to Portsmouth, as that would give a bit of scenic appeal with a few challenging gradients and set it back in the Crompton/Thumper era. But I've travelled across from Brighton to Pompey a few times back in the day and it's basically a tram service, flat as a pancake stopping every couple of miles, about as exciting as a trip to Aldi.

• Like Like x 1
  11. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

I think we have enough southern-based routes in game. We need more routes from other areas of the UK (neither DTG or any of the 3rd parties have touched Wales yet).

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Agree with the others. The UK has thousands of train stations, many of which involve operators which don't go to London. Let's try getting a sprinter or turbostar into the game, or maybe a class 60, 68, 70 etc
    Personally the only route I'd want to see from the Southeast would be Southampton to Reading or Westbury, and that would be mainly for freight

• Like Like x 3
  13. British rail fan

British rail fan Member

Also a route not touched is the west coast mainline I have already done a suggestion for rugby to Crewe wcml Trent valley and it would be good to leave the south for a while as many want Wales north and midlands of England

• Like Like x 1
  14. trainsUK

trainsUK Member

Would definitely like to see this in the modern day to make Brighton station complete . It offers something quite different to BML and ecw as well

• Like Like x 1