West Cornwall - St Ives Branch Linespeed

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by lcyrrjp, Dec 24, 2021.

1. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I did a search and couldn't find it.

In the game, on the St Ives branch in the Up (St Ives to St Erth) direction, the line speed is 20mph from a point just after Carbis Bay, to St Erth (i.e. most of the branch). In the Down direction this section is 30mph throughout.

In real life there is indeed a 20mph speed restriction just after Carbis Bay in the Up direction only, but it's very short, and is there for sighting for a foot crossing. As soon as the train is over the foot crossing, the line speed returns to 30mph for the rest of the journey to St Erth.

I've had a look at a cab view video of the branch, and it appears that there is no sign after the foot crossing telling the Driver that the line speed has returned to 30mph. As is often the case in the UK, the Driver's route knowledge is relied upon.

I suspect (and this may be completely untrue, but it's a theory) Rivet have taken the line speeds from a cab view video (maybe the same one) and seeing no 30mph commencement sign have assumed that the line speed is 20mph for the whole of the rest of the branch, so have re-created it that way.

However it came about, the result is that, as well as the Up journey being very slow and boring, it also takes much longer than in real life (in real life it's only 11 mins - the same as in the Down direction).

Is anyone aware of this issue having been flagged to Rivet previously? Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Just experienced it myself, it’s clearly not right.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Bear in mind this is a historic route what is the case today may not have been the case when the route is set.

4. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Fair point, but why would it be 30mph in one direction and 20mph in the other? It’s definitely odd.

5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The gradient would effect things.

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

If I can find my old WR Sectional Appendix I'll check, but sounds like an error/oversight to me. Think it's in the garage (of all places!) so I shall do a trip with the recycling and take a look - back shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldVern

Sectional Appendix extract attached. Definitely looks like Rivet got it wrong and assumed the LC restriction applied to the rest of the run. 94B15C56-A2BA-4030-BD6E-1487A3A10A6F.jpeg

Edit: This is from the 1997 SA.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lcyrrjp

Thanks Vern, I appreciate you digging in the garage! I’ve put a request for this to be corrected on the relevant forum on the Rivet site as well. With your permission, I'll add that image to it so that they have the evidence.

9. OldVern

Permission freely given!

10. lcyrrjp

Thanks Vern.