West Highland Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gswales, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Gswales

Gswales Member

Having played Train Simulator as well as Train Sim World one line which i think would fit in nicely in Train Sim World is the West Highland Line the line is one of two lines which access the remote mountainous west coast of Scotland. The line would be operated by Class 37 locos hauling both Freight and Passenger and could be supported by a 156 DMU which operate on the line today. Below I have placed a proposed section of the line that could be brought to Train Sim World.

upload_2020-6-4_17-50-55.png
    The line is single track with passing loops and small freight yards where freight trains could be shunted to allow wagons to be dropped off and collected. The line also features amazing Glenfinnan Viaduct which is curved and allows trains to pass over the valley below. Also the line does have gradients as the line goes from Fort William to Mallaig.

The route in Train Sim World would also offer the chance to introduce in the route a railtour service from Fort William to Mallaig which could be top and tailed by either two Class 20 or a Class 52 and Class 66. This would fit in well with the regular passenger and freight services on the line.

One feature which would be of interest if the route came to Train Sim World is the line having RETB (Radio Electronic Token Block) this system is quite different and would make operating the line in Train Sim World interesting this system is electronic tokens instead of a physical token and the line side equipment is much different from routes like GWE and East Coastway.

The system allows a electronic token to be sent to the cab of the locomotive and gives that train authority to occupy the single line and cannot be removed from the train until the driver releases it themselves. At stations and passing loops along the line and the simplicity of the line side infrastructure in RETB areas was reduced by the installation of the Train Protection & Warning System.
    upload_2020-6-4_18-14-28.png
    A train stop loop is provided at each stop board, and is normally activated (So that any train attempting to pass it will be immediately brought to a stop) When the signaller issues a token for the train to enter a section the TPWS loop at the appropriate board is deactivated and this would allow the train to proceed. Indication of the state of the TPWS is provided by a blue light mounted below the stop board. This shows a steady blue light when the TPWS is activated and a flashing blue light when it is deactivated. I have placed two sample diagrams below for the layout at single line stations and stations with passing loops
    upload_2020-6-4_18-21-44.png
    upload_2020-6-4_18-22-21.png
    So the line with its views Gradients and Signalling system RETB and TPWS would I think make a great edition to Train Sim World and would allow use of some UK traction already in the game at present...

• Like Like x 5
  2. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

Sounds nice, I googled some pictures of the line and the route looks stunning. The inclusion of RETB and TPWS would make for an experience different to all other routes in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

if you don't mind i will bring some of the "key features" of the route provided by the TS route:
    • 41 mile West Highland Line from Fort William to Mallaig
    • Eleven tunnels and eight major bridge structures, including Glenfinnan Viaduct and Borrodale Viaduct
    • Radio Electronic Tock Block (RETB) signalling with operating in-cab controls
    • BR Class 37/4 diesel locomotive
    • Mk1 coaches in BR blue/grey livery and Scotrail West Highland green/cream livery
    • Mk3 BR blue/grey livery sleeper coaches
    • Freight wagons including OTA timber carriers, OAA open wagons, TTA oil tank wagons, PCA alumina wagons and YGH ‘Sealion’ ballast wagons
    • (added by me) 156 DMU
    This could be a really nice route. Stunning scenary. Great oportunity to bring out the 156 DMU. RETB signalling. Good re-use of class 37. Class 20,52, 66 (for that railtour idea)

Tho i don't use to like single track routes... i'm into this one, very nice suggestion, it could really fit in TSW!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Gswales

Gswales Member

Thank You to Both took me a few days to get information together but happy how it turned out and indeed it would be a good route and bring a new challenge to TSW with RETB

• Like Like x 2
  5. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

Very Good Suggestion A change in signalling is great

• Like Like x 1