Western Maryland Railway- Cumberland-connellsville

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by prrsteamfan, Oct 3, 2020.

1. prrsteamfan

prrsteamfan Member

01D786AE-B603-4C6B-BF8E-B1C32A9F6D82.jpeg The Route:Something I’ve thought about for quite a long time is a transition or early diesel era rendition of the WM’s Connellsville Subdivision. Logically speaking, Maryland Junction and the P&LE yard in Connellsville would serve as endpoints, besides the connection towards Dunbar for the WM’s own Bowest Yard. On this journey, players would experience the legendary Helmstetter’s Curve, numerous tunnels, Keystone and Salisbury Viaducts, and the natural beauty of the Allegheny Mountains.

Rolling Stock: Since the route could easily fall under either a steam or diesel theme, I suggest a sampling of both. The WM’s beefy H-9 2-8-0s could often be found working in tandem on heavy coal trains of 55 ton coal hoppers. Freight duties were commonly delegated to the unique Baldwin-built 4-6-6-4 Challengers or the lengthy I-2 2-10-0s, pulling anything from boxcars, to flatcars loaded with military equipment. In the name of diesels, the road’s numerous F7s are an absolute must have, as they existed from the early 1950s, right until the end of service in the 1970s. These versatile workhorses could be found anywhere, doing virtually any purpose. Other credible choices include GP35s, SD40s, the four ALCO FAs the railroad rostered, and for switching potential, the GE 44 tonner, which the WM owned two of.

• Like Like x 4
  2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Is that Helmstetter's Curve or a very similar looking one?

3. prrsteamfan

prrsteamfan Member

Sure is!

• Like Like x 1
  4. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

N O I C E.
    sqrlYES.png

5. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Nice route idea prrsteamfan, why do you like this route and how many miles would the route be?

6. prrsteamfan

prrsteamfan Member

It's a fascinating, scenic journey through the mountains, featuring iconic locations that haven't truly ever recieved justice in a simulator before. There's also the potential for a wide variety of freight operations between the two yards that I'd place on either end of the route. Coal traffic, early trailer train service, manifest freights, they're all here. In addition, there's the Maple Festival trains that would run annually to Meyersdale, wye at Rockwood and then return to pick up passengers. As for the length, it's about 86 miles not including any of the transfers and connections along the route.

• Like Like x 1