What Add On Do You Most Regret Buying?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by james64, Jan 30, 2023.

1. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Important- This is NOT due to a lack of quality, or bugs etc. I'm talking about any route or loco you bought but simply didn't enjoy for reasons that were not the game's fault.

There's two that come to mind for me. First is Tharandter Rampe. I normally stay away from German content (apart from the ICE), but I had a really silly reason for buying this one. The DMU has the same engine used in Voyagers, Adelantes and Class 185s in the UK. All three are trains I desperately want in TSW, and I wanted to drive a modern DMU- something which is shockingly sparse in TSW. I struggled to drive it, I can't remember why. I feel like the brakes were a lot weaker than I expected or something. I could be remembering wrong. That, combined with a route I have literally no knowledge of, has meant that I've never come back to this route.

The second one is Cane Creek. I bought this because I really wanted to try and enjoy American freight, and the idea of cruising through the desert in the big American diesels sounded fun to me. I played a tutorial, then loaded up either a scenario or timetable (can't remember which), and couldn't figure out how to get my train moving because it was so heavy. I thought "oh well, I'll come back to it later". That was about a year and a half ago now.

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is about TSW so it should not be in the Off Topic forum but in the TSW discussion forum. Off Topic is for things that are not TSW related.

3. james64

Does it really matter? I see plenty of discussions about things to do with TSW in off topic. If a moderator wants me to move it I will.

• Like Like x 3
  4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

For me it’s basically any US freight route, it’s something I desperately want to like but good lord, surely there are different locos out there?

They are all very, very similar in both looks and driving, every freight DLC seems to have the same 2 engines but in a different livery & a slow speed route with almost no AI.

I have now learnt my lesson and stopped buying them.

A close second is LIRR & Harlem line, both have the same inherent issue of NYC feeling, well not very NYC, but also the M3 & M7 are a pretty poor experience.

• Like Like x 7
  5. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The one I regret buying the most is Sherman Hill, even though I got it at a discount. I like American freigt but the sound on the SD70ACe in my opinion is terrible, the scenery is boring and tedious and the performance very bad on ps5, most of the time switching between front and rear camera causes the game to crash.

There are a few that I don't regret buying, but I do regret paying full price and not waiting for a discount:

-Oakville Subdivision. I bought it because we were shown a large playable area and then realised we had been cheated because most of it was not accessible.

-Arosa Line. Although it's a route I like, its many bugs and Rivet's neglect make me feel like I paid far more for it than they deserve.

-TGV. Although it's a route I've played for dozens of hours and have amortised the price, I could have expected a discount for what it offers. Somehow I wanted to thank with my wallet the addition of a new country in TSW (as with Arosa).

-Muchen-Ausburg. Although now on ps5 I enjoy it with layers, when I bought it at full price they were not available because I played on ps4. I should have waited for a discount.

And nothing else, from the rest I'm happy with the purchase, the ones I bought at full price like Tharandter Rampe or Bremen-Oldenburg I would do it again because they are among my favourites (although BRO I waited for them to release all the patches).

• Like Like x 1
  6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

For me probably LIRR as it doesn't seem busy enough. It wasn't really the immersive, busy commuter route I was expecting.

• Like Like x 3
  7. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

There isn't really much I have bought that I haven't enjoyed, but I don't have much. The only thing that comes close is the New Journeys Expansion, but the silver 72 stock did make good content for a video, and the DB BR423 I like to drive. But I keep forgetting I have it so... yeah probably this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Mine is the French LGV route; it looked interesting at first but I lost interest after doing a few runs in each direction. Plus the TGV has a complicated set-up process which I always forget and usually have to replay the tutorial every time I revisit the route!

• Like Like x 1
  9. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

LGV - Just a very boring route
    CRR - Low speed restrictions and i don't really like the locos

10. james64

I feel like the only person who really enjoys LGV. It's definitely my favourite non UK route (although once Boston Sprinter gets it's signalling fixed and the Acela added that might change). It's great for a quick high speed run, and the TGV is one of my favourite trains in the entire game.
    Amazingly even after long periods away from it I still manage to remember how to start the TGV up and do power changeovers, which is quite surprising as I often forget the procedures for less complex trains like the ICE and ACS 64.

• Like Like x 2
  11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I do like the TGV duplex, it’s a very nice model and has a good sound set.

Unfortunately the LGV route has some atrocious scenery, I don’t mind the services, but there are sections on that route that wouldn’t be out of place in Fallout New Vegas.

Ultimately I don’t regret buying that one, the TGV makes up for it.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well since I didn't "purchase" LIRR (it was a TSW2020 base route), I would have to say Luzern-Sursee. I knew going in that it was short and just one train- but then that's true of GCC, which I enjoy. What I was not expecting was that the safety systems are so bollixed up as to render the route undrivable.

• Like Like x 3
  13. heliomass

heliomass Member

Not just you, it's one of my favourites too! In spite of its length, I tend to see it as a "shorter" route like Isle of Wight or Luzern. Would love to see an extension to Lyon though.

14. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

East Coastway: It's a dull train on a dull route with a dull timetable and I have probably done one round trip to Eastbourne and never touched it again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Spirit of Steam/ TSW 3 deluxe edition.
    I don’t know what was going through my head when I was picking it over the standard edition knowing I would never play it. Guess I just had a lot of money to waste and decided to buy it.

16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Probably WSR for me (although it came in a bundle when I first bought TSW 2020). I love the route, but just find it a bit slow and the AI timetable is too demanding for a chilled out line.

17. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

WSR, Arosa, HSC, CRR since they were too slow for me. They are great, but I like going fast.

• Like Like x 2
  18. james64

Absolutely agree with that. I hate crawling along the line with 47s and Westerns, it's like seeing a tiger in a cage. You just wanna unleash it. I think it would need some steam traction for me to care about driving on it more.

Despite this, I wouldn't say I regret buying it. I have a lot of personal attachment to the WSR. Every summer as a kid we used to go to Butlins Minehead, and most of the days involved a trip to the railway in some capacity. Most days we went on a train, even if it wasn't for the full length of the line. One of my earliest ever memories is standing on the platform at Minehead and seeing Virgin's old HSTs being stored in the sidings out of use after being displaced by the Voyagers. That would have been around the summer of 2005 I think. So I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it simply by wandering around the stations in free roam mode and reminiscing.

• Like Like x 3
  19. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

There are one or two candidates for me LGV being one and cane creek being the other.
    This one was bought as part of the original TSW in 2018. It's Rapid Transit. Its just so boring, lifeless and well meh.
    Not even bringing the BR 182 and Dostos to it did it any justice. Although West Somerset is close but the fact you can use so many heritage BR locos on the route is its saving grace, that's about all for WSR. The last time I played Rapid Transit was trying out one of Tom Fresco 's scenarios on it.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  20. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

I don't regret having bought LGV, it's not a line I'd run on a daily basis, but I often come back to it to run one service. I think it did great on bringing the southern French atmosphere to the game, puts some challenge on the driver (switching power system, not being able to go full flat on the throttle without overspeeding: energy management is key on this route) and at around 30-40 minutes per ride, it's ideal for the occasional ride during lunch break. I only see two downsides: the clearly visible scenery edges while driving northbound and no AI traffic around Marseille. I surely hope DTG brings out another French route in the future!

I regret buying RRO the most: when driving through the cliffs it always bothers me how unrealistic they look, and I've never learned to appreciate the timetable. Also the route feels extremely short at just 42 km including the diverging lines (so maybe 30km tops for one ride). I must admit that my aversion is so large that I didn't bother coming back to it after its timetable got an update.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Anything by skyhook

• Like Like x 3
  22. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

Rapid Transit is my biggest regret. The route while being a decent distance is boringly tedious to drive and nothing they've done to it has changed that! WSR is a close second because it's the only route that manages to make driving at 25mph seem worse than diving at 5mph

• Like Like x 1
  23. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Long Island, find it very boring, there’s hardly any AI traffic, Jamaica is the deadest station when it’s meant to be the busiest, I don’t think a joetable would save it

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

You can see it either way. Everyone can choose their favorite routes and nobody is obliged to buy every DLC. Of course there are routes that are very varied and more interesting than others. The German routes in particular are stuffed with layers, whereby mostly only individual locomotives are exchanged. If one draws a conclusion, the older routes cannot keep up with the newer ones. Which is logical, since the developers also learn new things and new things are built in that were not possible before. For me, LIRR is also the weakest in the overall package, but sometimes the oldest routes are also the best, which can be seen on SPG. Rapid Transit is close to my home, so it's a must have for me. You could have saved yourself an IOW version, since the 2022 is better. Cane Creek also looks great, but suffers from variety. While the small but fine Training Center has become so popular in such a short time. The implementation of the Christmas Elf DLC was also a brilliant idea from DTG and is more fun than some real routes. ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  25. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

The real-life route is actually very beautiful in reality, and it's a real shame it never went as far as Hastings/Ore as you would have had stunning coastal views like such:
    Bexhill 1.jpg SL 2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. trainsUK

trainsUK Member

I’d probably say arosa or Dresden chemnitz- arosa is boring and slow, and I just lost interest quickly in Chemnitz because it is so repetitive

27. barryr21

barryr21 Active Member

Peninsula Corridor. Never warmed to it.

28. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Though it would still be a boring train and timetable most likely.

29. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Probably Canadian Oakville Subdivision, I think I paid it at its full price, I’ve used it about 3 times, it never pops into my head when I’m debating which route to spend time on, and I think I mostly got it back when I did because it was a change of country.

I’d probably still say Cane Creek is a very close second though, I think I got pulled into the pretty marketing of that route a bit too much

neither routes are my go to primary type neither (High Speed Express)

30. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Rapid transit. It was very boring and I still do not like it much. the new timetable may help a bit, but now most drives are very short and it looks like they have badly chosen the starting and endpoints of the route.I am probably not doing justice to the route, but no ....

• Like Like x 1
  31. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

I'd have to say Pinnesula Corridor, I find the scenery very boring and repaditve, and it feels like the services take much longer then they actually do.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

WSR. Its just too slow. All you do is crawl along. I just can't seem to get on with it.

33. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

DB BR 187!! The biggest scam in TSW history. :mad:

34. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Arosa Line.
    TSC version is much, not, MUCH more capable. I was happy when took my money back.

35. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I don't regret buying any of the routes I have - CJP, Oakville, CRR, Pen Corr or the MP15DC DLC - but I do have some disappointments and frustrations with each of them though that is not the topic of this conversation. I enjoy them all for their own unique characteristics.

I guess if I had to classify a regret it wouldn't be anything to do with the actual routes or services but rather paying full prices for older ones with known and long unfixed bugs in them. Particularly when I see other platforms getting the discounts we typically don't get on Xbox. And then to top it off CRR going on sale the month after I buy it full price after waiting and watching and contemplating! That ticked me off just a little. Seems the stuff never goes on sale or it only does after you give in and buy it full rate. I waited a year for Oakville to go on sale and it never did during that time! Paid full price.
    On a side note to this.... IMO the older routes should already be permanently discounted to increase interest and sales. Everybody loves a sale and many would be more inclined to purchase something they normally wouldn't at full price if they got a better deal on it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  36. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Caltrain Peninsula Corridor comes with TSW 2 Deluxe Edition as a standard route. My problem with it was that the F40PH Caltrain & Cab Car have broken Alerter and MU control valve if turned on PCS valve is opened therefore you can't move. Unlike the Boston F40PH and CTC cab car which have them working.