What Controller Is Best

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr2mark, Nov 10, 2020.

1. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Hi folks
    Just wondering what controllers you all use for ts2020? I currently use a xbox 360 wired one although its not a official one as my current pc is windows 8. Im going to be getting a new pc in the next few weeks just waiting to see what black friday brings. I know windows 10 allows xbox 1 and ps4 controllers just wondered if its worth switching to one of those as im not a fan of my current one.

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Keyboard all the way for me, and the mouse if i need to change the viewing angle...

I have TSW on my little boys Xbox but can't stand playing with / using the controller...

Eric

3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Train Simulator uses a lot of keyboard commands that don't work with controllers. You're best of sticking with a mouse and keyboard. Train Sim World is a lot better with controllers in comparison.

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I use a combination of RailDriver, TrackIR, Keyboard (with macro keys) and a gaming mouse (has extra keys) thinking of adding my G27 steering wheels pedals just for the DSD/DVD (and maybe doors open/close or other random control)

Not at all true, with the correct software TS is extremely usable with controllers.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  5. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Actually any PC XBox is compatible with the vast majority of DTG/JT/DPS/UKTS DLC.
    Some the Armstrong Powerhouse do not support all XBox inputs.
    I do not know of a DTG Loco that is not compatible with a PC based XBox - can someone enlighten me?
    Look at the system requirements for TS 20XX : TS 2020 Manual
    Game Controller: Train Simulator supports use of the Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller.
    "Additional Notes: Requires mouse and keyboard or Xbox Controller"
    Controller Layout Shows a diagram of usage of the buttons for an Xbox 360 Controller (see Section 4: Game Controller)
    When a scenario is selected, click on the Start button (or press the A button on the Xbox 360 Controller).
    Train Simulator allows control of Trains via several methods - Xbox 360 Controller An USB Xbox 360 Controller pad can be used. and so on

If in doubt read the manual.
    To the OP - I have used an XBox controller since 2012 and it works very well!

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

A mouse and keyboard. I don't understand controllers... they don't look real.. they don't feel real.... I mean, how do any of these controllers help you drive a 87? In what way does it make driving a 37 more realistic? How can you map all the controls to work with every train, as every train is different. Doors on a normal DTG train is "T".. on a AP Class 319 it's "O" and "U". Same for Xbox controllers... what's the point? You have the best controller already right in front of you... a mouse and keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ntypeman

It just bugs me that on the keyboard the keys to control the power are on the left and likewise for the brake on the right... I just wish they could be swapped round but I presume it's a legacy from MSTS days that also had the same keys...

Eric

8. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

It has taken me 5 years to master the Keyboard and mouse so I am sticking with that Lol.
    I only learned last week, thanks to forum members that Conrtol + W turns the loco key on and off.

Mike

9. ntypeman

Varies on what train you have... some use a master key (in TS) others don't, but all use a master key in real life...!!!

Eric

10. Pookeyhead

Or Shift +W.. depends on the train I suppose, most are shift+W not CTRL+W. They're not all the same. For example, the AP 90 uses , and. for speed setting, whereas the DTG advanced version uses Y and something else.. can't remember now - which also makes the DRA different. They're all different.. which is why "controllers" are crap.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A number of locos/units have a way of Isolating the DVD - normally with Ctrl+D
    How do you do that with an Xbox or similar?

12. Doomotron

mr2mark Since no-one's given you an actual answer yet...

Before I start, do you actually have Train Simulator yet or are you planning to get it once you've got your new PC?

While a keyboard and mouse is a lot better than a controller for playing TS (Train Sim World, as I said earlier, is set up far better for controllers), the keyboard controls can be a bit confusing at first. When I started playing Train Simulator seven years ago (wow, that is a lot of time I've wasted that I can't get back) I used a combination of a wired Xbox 360 controller I still have - it's a good controller by the way - and the F4 HUD (that's the big one with the throttle and brake controls). For a long time this is what I used as my keyboard at the time had a French AZERTY layout which Train Simulator wasn't set up for. It took a few years for me to learn the keyboard controls.

I'd say that a controller is fine if you don't plan on playing with any 'advanced' content. The trains included by default should be mostly fine, but anything that's more advanced won't work properly. Some advanced content may have simple modes, but I always felt that what was removed made the trains less fun to play, as they usually took away from quite simple features. For example, the Armstrong Powerhouse Class 90's simple mode gets rid of the ability to have day and night headlight configurations, which is annoying, and I think it deactivates some other simple features, as well as the major ones you might not want to deal with when using a controller. TS Classics DLC (that being a lot of older DLC available at low prices because of their simplicity) will work fine, and assuming you don't have TS yet are a good place to learn the game*. They are also quite cheap, which is good.

Now, onto controllers: Windows 10 natively supports Xbox 360 wired controllers. Every controller that you use on the PC, with some exceptions, are considered by Windows to be Xbox 360 controllers - even Xbox One/SeriesX/S controllers. Many controllers do work, however, without any extra programs, as Steam has a compatibility mode for most of them. This makes them be interpreted as X-Input controllers, but all button icons will be for the Xbox 360 or One, unless your game specifically has a modified UI for different controllers. Train Simulator isn't one of them. It's also worth pointing out that the menus in Train Simulator are pretty dreadful for controllers, so you'll want to use a mouse to navigate them.
    • 'Generic gamepads' like your unofficial one (most likely) will work, but sometimes there might be issues with individual controllers.
    • The PS4 controller (DualShock 4) has no native support on Windows 10, but is incredibly simple to set up if you want to. Steam has a compatibility mode, but it only works for Steam games. If you want greater customisability, you'll need to download DS4Windows.
    • I doubt the Nintendo Switch Pro controller has native support, but is only a bit harder to set up than a DualShock 4.
    • The DualShock 3 (PS3) needs a lot of messing around to work on Windows 10, so if you're new to computers I wouldn't touch it. Even I don't trust myself to get it working.
    • As I said earlier, Xbox One/Series X/S controllers work on the PC fine.
    However, if you want to use any of these controllers wirelessly, you will probably need an adapter. Official ones are very expensive, so I usually just use a cable to connect it. The 8BitDo Wireless Adapter is a cheaper alternative to official adapters, but might have issues with individual controllers. If your PC is compatible, I believe it is possible to use an Xbox One/Series X/S controller wirelessly without an adapter.

The PS4 and Xbox One controllers us Micro-USB cables. Xbox Series X/S, Switch Pro and PS5 DualSense (compatibility with PC is currently not fully known for the DualSense) controllers use USB-C. DualShock 3 (PS3) and Wii U Pro (not supported by default) controllers use Mini-USB.

Now, onto controllers that you should actually use: The controller you're using already should be fine, but the DualShock 4 has four extra inputs compared to other controllers (all using the touchpad) that you can assign to keys on your keyboard. I have set mine up so the touchpad acts as my mouse cursor, and pressing down on the touchpad on either side acts as a left click. The touchpad's extra inputs are:
    • Pressing down on the left or right side of the touchpad
    • Pressing down on the touchpad with two fingers.
    • The 'top' of the touchpad where it wraps around the top of the controller.
    • You can select whether the touchpad surface should act as a mouse, which is what I use, or as for 'swipe' controls, that could use some use in Train Simulator. In cabs and passenger views, you can press the left and right arrow keys to change your seat - maybe you could use the swipe function to do that?
    • You can also use Sixaxis (the motion sensor) but I doubt this will work well with Train Simulator.
    I think that the controller that has the best opportunities for Train Simulator is the DualShock 4. If you're willing to pay for it, I'm sure it'll be useful.

*Talking about learning the game, in older versions of Train Simulator there was the TestTrak route included for free. It was a small oval of track with some sidings that you could test trains on at high speed, and I use it to test and experiment with trains. Unfortunately, despite its usefulness, DTG removed it from later versions, so unless you get access to an account that owns it, you won't be able to get it.

Most things that aren't that basic controls won't work on the controller. Because the word 'consistency' doesn't exist in Train Simulator, every train is set up slightly different in TS and the keyboard controls work in different ways, so don't buy DLC expecting it to work as you expect it to. Also, the controller doesn't have a crosshair like in Train Sim World, so you'll need a mouse to select anything that doesn't have a keyboard command attached to it.
    I don't understand how a keyboard and mouse look and feel any more 'real' than a controller, but okay...

[very minor edit by Protagonist - we don't talk about that here]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Pookeyhead

I never said they did, I said controllers don't ADD any realism, and some cost a fortune. How do you drive the AP Class 86 with a controller (or any other tap change loco?). I'd love to see you drive the 76 from Woodhead in Blue with one :)

14. Doomotron

The Class 86 works as well as on a keyboard. You only have to tap RT and RB like you tap A and D.

And yes, the 76 won't work on a controller, mostly because DTG didn't design it to. The controller support in Train Simulator was abandoned like Simple Controls were. However, if the 76 was in TSW, it would work with a controller, because DLCs for TSW were made with consideration for controllers.

15. Pookeyhead

I can't see how it would.

That's not how you drive the AP class 86.

16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Only game I use an "X bone" controller for is GTA V and then only for driving not whilst on foot or shooting you'll never beat KB + Mouse for shooting.

I can see where doomotron is coming from regarding game console controllers and advanced trains but it is not as doom and gloom as doomy likes to make out, don't forget you can use a combination of any controller and keyboard unless you're planning on playing the sim from 20ft away on your sofa but even that's solvable with wireless KB's.
    No matter how many peripherals any of us have linked up to the game you'll still inevitably need/prefer a KB to control some things within TS, even with all the peripherals I listed I use in TS I still use the KB for a few things.

17. Pookeyhead

Track IR is a good call though. I could get into that.

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

It's literally a game changer mate, first got it for ETS2 years ago, I've also used it in ATS, ARMA 3, DAYZ SA, and of course now TS.

My headphones are wireless so I made a magnetic attacher so I could quickly remove the led stalk (aka the Borg implant) as unfortunately that's USB wired, there is a baseball cap clip that uses three reflective points rather than three led lights but it's less responsive and accurate but it is a truly wireless option especially if you adapted it to attach to your headphones band instead of a cap peak.

19. Pookeyhead

I was thinking also of MS Flight Sim as well as TS. Been meaning to look into it for ages, but didn't see the point until I built a new rig. It will be part of the new set up I'm sure.

20. Peter Hayes

PH
    I drive the class 76/77 with an XBox controller (or a Logitech G18) with no issues - it is no different to using a keyboard. Any tap changer works with a Xbox controller if you use it correctly.

I do recall some issues with I think it is the Class 444/445 the brakes come full on using the XBox controller - reported several years ago to RSC/DTG - never fixed.

21. Pookeyhead

BY controller I was referring more to the actual dedicated rail simulator controllers, but having said that, I just don't see why you'd want to use an xbox controller if you have a full keyboard in front of you. I just fail to see the advantage. I can only imagine it's for those who want to use the living room TV while sat on the sofa or something (shrug).

22. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Yes ive had trainsimulator since it first came out and only recently started using a controller, i originally used logitech controller which was lovely and i loved the way it responded but it lacked dual shock so i bought a xbox 360 controller but it doesnt feel as good as my old controller. So was looking to see what people preffered

• Like Like x 1
  23. Peter Hayes

mr2mark
    I use an Xbox Elite wifi - excellent and also use a Logitech G13 for non-standard locos like the AP versions. Both give good control in most situations in TS.

24. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

I use a keyboard, mouse and the ATS button box and AWS plunger

25. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Actually just set this up and it works well, as a bonus I don't even need to have the G27 wheel plugged into the mains as thats sat in a box under my desk atm and every time you turn on the PC or power to the wheel it does the unavoidable left to right initialization/calibration thing. I do have to have the peddles plugged into the wheel and the wheels USB is then plugged into the PC as the peddles have a custom connector not USB unfortunately but like I say it's in a box out of the way and not 'live' anyway.

Using CobraOnes latest patch of the RailDriver interface I can keep my foot on the peddle (accelerator as it has the least spring resistance of the three) at all times and then lift it to respond to the DSD/DVD alarm.

I'm beside myself.. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

:D
    I push they Q on the same keyboard

27. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

I fully understand what you mean, although since buying the plunger and door box I’m extremely happy with them

28. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

The controller map in TS2012 indicates that pressing down on the R3 joystick enables "crosshair acton".

I have an (official) wired XBox controller connected to my PC - but this button does absolutely nothing, ever. Is the "crosshair" function real - and if it is, does it act like a mouse-pointer....so that you can click on in-cab objects, without using a mouse?

Is there any way I can click on in-cab objects, without using a mouse LMB or trackpad LMB...(or indeed, a keyboard)?

29. Doomotron

As for the crosshair, I don't think it does anything. There is certainly no way I know of to click on things in the cab with a controller (unless you use a PS4's touchpad as a mouse).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. synthetic.angel

Okay - thanks. And can I set up a DS4 to do this under Steam, for TS2012....?

31. Doomotron

Not sure about Steam, but DS4Windows definitely allows you to use the touchpad as a mouse, as well as lots of other useful features (far more in depth than Steam).
    upload_2021-5-28_23-0-28.png
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with DS4Windows, but just in case you're not, here's a rundown. Once you open it, you can modify different profiles. My one, General, is a regular setup, but I've decided that the touchpad should be used as a mouse (hence why I've selected Use as Mouse). Make sure jitter compensation is on for a better experience. On the bottom right of the DS4 box, there's a list of inputs, which you can double click to edit. You'll get the screen below.
    upload_2021-5-28_23-1-21.png
    This is the Xinput setup screen, where you can map the chosen button to any key or mouse output. For example, I've selected TouchLeft (pressing the left side of the touchpad), and I've assigned this input to the left mouse button (the L on the mouse on the right). As you can see in the first image, I've made it so both sides of the touchpad act as a left mouse click. You could make the right side or the top of the touchpad a right click if you want, but that's up to you. You can also record macros, so perhaps you could make a button or part of the touchpad do something like active the master key...

And remember, in the first image, you are able to use the touchpad for controls, which doesn't let you use it as a mouse, but lets you swipe in any of four directions to do something different. Perhaps you could make swiping left and right change viewpoints? It's up to you. You can also still use the touchpad as a button in this mode,

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. synthetic.angel

I think that this is the most useful post that I have ever seen for TS2012 in these Forums. I can't thank you enough*. I have never used DS4Windows - so I will have a look for it and get a copy installed. This will not just give considerable extra life to TS2012 for me (in which I have invested £100s in the last two years), but it will also give my pair of DS4s an extended life beyond PS4, when I get my PS5, for a lot of other stuff...;-D

Oh. My. Google. Thank you.
    --------------------------------------

*I can send you a DM with a bunch of Steam codes from the recent Humble Bundle deal, if you are interested - including a full copy of TS2021 (the three routes), but if I can get a virtual mouse running with a point and click using the DS4, then seriously.... I'll owe you far more than a bunch of TS2012 DLCs.... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  33. Doomotron

Thank you. Another thing; there is also an option to use Sixaxis (labelled Gyro), which could be useful...

• Helpful Helpful x 1