PC What Did You Do On The Rails Today?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Gascan, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Maybe this place could use a story telling section describing some of the particulars of what you've been working on in game. I figure this might help folks who are new to it learn about some elements of the game they weren't aware of? Worth trying anyway.

I'd been reading about this "free mode" for awhile but wasn't really sure how to do it. I stumbled into it by accident when I was humming and hawing over how to do it while looking at the locomotive selection- there's an option to walk around or something to that effect... never knew it was even an option- I just thought it was showing my chosen driver. Apparently you can click on it- who knew (other than everyone but me).

It took me two and a half hours last night to work around the Cumberland yard to lash up 4 AC4000CWs with the intention of building a varied consist and just take the setup out for a spin. I had ambitions to grab a couple SD-40s as well to just deadhead them around for looks but time became a factor so I saved the game and just left my 4 locos idling but properly configured. There is rolling stock scattered around the yard I intend to pick up but that's going to take some time to build.

This original effort took soooo long for a couple of reasons- one being a lack of familiarity with where they all were and how to get them together. There were two relatively close together by the turntable- I think both were turned off so I had to get them started and since it was my first time not only starting them but also configuring them for combined service I'm sure I can trim time down there in the future. I had to use the turntable which I'd remembered from before so that was reasonably quick- though I had to do this combination a couple of times on account of coupling at 45km/h on at least 1 occasion. A couple of other earlier times I'd missed a step in the startup- kind of an important one I realized later- and started over again. Finally, I'd polished off my process and was able to get a loco started and configured for its proper place in line reasonably quickly.

Two others were a little further north and east of the turntable- and with some switching through the map function that was a relatively painless process once I realized you could just click on them on the map as opposed to having to get out each time. I like how the map shows which way the track will take you when you cross the switch... certainly makes it easier for the lay person.

Then I forgot what side of the map I was on and was going the wrong way for awhile... yes at that point I think a plant could do better.

Ultimately I'd like to get a somewhat unique consist set up and go looking for neat screenshot opportunities for the screenshot of the week. I've seen some really well thought out screenshots and if nothing else it will distract me enough to wait out updates and new content.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Just bear in mind you currently can't take your custom consist out onto the main lines.

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Okay then. So basically this thread is pointless since all we can do is exactly the same thing everyone else does.

Thanks for telling me... at least I won't waste any more LOVE time lol.

Yeah. Love time.

That's it.

4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

On NEC, I like to hop on the last car and watch out of the back door (with it open)!

• Like Like x 2
  5. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Well in spite of the limitations I've recently learned about with my custom consists I took the CW4000AC out for a spin on a clear autumn afternoon looking for interesting bodies of water that are "wonderful."

So while I had some time I located the Sand Patch route on google maps and ran the route on google to get an idea where I wanted to focus my attention along the route. I found a location just north west of Garrett that caught my eye.

[​IMG]

I was pleasantly surprised to find these pilings in game...

[​IMG]

Though I'm not sure the water in that area is quite "wonderful" enough for a screenshot submission in this week's competition, it was cool to see such a landmark captured in the game.

Any "off to the side" landmarks catch your eye in your travels?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

TSW_Matthew_1541270064_00.jpg
    Was walking around on Ruhr-Sieg Nord and found this little lookout. There's a couple of them dotted around the route, some with collectibles. You can even walk across roads and into a few industries. Here's hoping the LIRR will have this level of quality!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

I think this will be a feature in all routes from now on. ;)

9. Anthony Pecoraro

Here is what I like to do.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I can see why you enjoy doing that. It is a really neat perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Anthony Pecoraro

12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I’ve been running sand patch looking for interesting green signal features from weird and different perspectives. I’m really getting to know that route well since it’s the only one I have.

Started using different locos though to be able to better blend times of day on the route.

I’d like to start a thread just for people to post screens based on the theme of the week so that people who post photos can get a sense of which of their photos they should post in the competition thread... good idea? Meh?

Let me know.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1