What Does The Deadman Pedal Cut In Do?- Lirr

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tokatails08, Feb 2, 2020.

1. tokatails08

tokatails08 Active Member

On the wall of switches there’s a deadman’s pedal switch, I’ve looked through the Lirr manual and it doesn’t mention it.

2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

It is the device on the ground which you need to keep depressed at all times when train is in motion. If you release it then the brakes will automatically apply. So it doesn’t really affect gameplay because by default the deadman pedal will be depressed. If you want to release it, you can by clicking (and holding down) on the deadman’s pedal which you will see on the ground- and as expected, the emergency brakes will apply. I can’t attach a video on here unfortunately.

I get the impression that it is like the Driver Safety Device (DSD) in the UK but without the vigilance part. So whilst in the UK the vigilance and safety device are implemented together, in the U.S. it is separate because you have a Deadman’s pedal acting as the safety device and the Alerter acting as the vigilance.

For those of you that don’t know, the DSD on Mainline trains in the UK needs to be depressed at all times when train is in motion. Every 60 seconds or so, it will start beeping and you need to release and depress it again thus also acting as a form of vigilance. If you isolated the vigilance such as on the class 377 or 166 then you would essentially just have a Deadman’s pedal.

853C4AD8-E1BC-49A2-84E7-7DED97B1D099.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Essentially the only change when you enable the deadmans pedal is that if you stand up the brakes will come on :)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. christopherbailey160

christopherbailey160 New Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  5. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

-Unrelated- I beleve that TSW haw one thing missing well two actualy. 1st being that there should be dispatchers at principle stations and the guard giving the right away. 2nd is that I belive that there is on type of train missing; Sprinters (and the class 175)