What Program Is Best To Record Tsw2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dave55007, Mar 15, 2022.

1. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

I'd like to record TSW2 and my Trainz 2009 for uploading to YouTube. I've used D3DGear before, but it creates strange effects with the sky!

Any suggestions for other free Video Capture programs?

Dave

2. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Nvidia Shadowplay

• Like Like x 2
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Or use the built in Windows Gamebar.

4. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

OBS works well, even though I haven't used it for TSW specifically.

5. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I used to use OBS but have switched to Xsplit (as I also use that for streaming.)

6. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Nvidia Shadowplay. It’s extremely easy to use and produces flawless quality over a wide range of bitrates. Sadly Gamebar doesn’t, and can be very pixelated at times.

Vitally though, Shadowplay has virtually zero impact on gameplay & FPS (I have games on an SSD and Shadowplay recorded to a standard HDD). You often hear YouTubers saying ‘those stutters are not the game, it’s my recording software’. Never once did I see that with Shadowplay.

Just bear in mind that if you intend to upload to YouTube that Shadowplay uses a variable audio bitrate which YouTube doesn’t like, meaning the audio can go out of sync after uploading. I used to run the files through HandBrake before editing a video together which solves the problem.

I also used the freeware version of DaVinci’s Resolve editing suite, which is pro standard yet easy to learn. Amazing quality given it’s free!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

That's what I use as well, on the rare occasions when I have to record the game.

8. kaosfere

kaosfere New Member

This is the right answer for anyone using an NVidia card that supports it. Given a fast enough disk it has next to no effect on frametime, which is something no other encoder can offer unless they're configured with NVENC. The one downfall for Shadowplay is that it doesn't support games running in HDR mode, which is unfortunate.

But that's not an issue in TSW2's case, unless you're running a recent enough machine and OS to be using Auto-HDR with it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with OBS personally, its free, its open source and it does the job.

10. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I use OBS for recording and streaming.; Does the job great. Note get OBS not SLOBS. It does all sorts of nice things like recording and streaming at different resolutions and frame rates simultaneously. Works very well with YouTube and Twitch. I use another open source project KdenLive as my video production software. It also does the job pretty well. It can do very complex production which means it does have a bit of a learning curve but you'll get it pretty quickly.

https://obsproject.com/
    https://kdenlive.org/en/

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  11. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have a play around with those. My use is more amateur than professional, but even so, its nice to get a good result. Paul, I always try and avoid SLOBS! :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1