When A Wash Isn't Really A Wash, Are You Dirty?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Feb 12, 2022.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Just catching up on some of the scenarios I haven't completed as yet this morning and came across an ICE one whereby you run through the train wash.

I was thinking it would be really nice if the trains were dynamically dirty/clean. I guess it might not be possible unless another layer could be enabled momentarily over the livery.

I think these things are great when they work. When I drive a train through the train wash and it comes out bone dry and equally dirty or clean I think 'what's the point?"

Do we need to clean our dirty trains or do we need to fix our washes?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Technically it could be done with the dirt/weathering layer being a separate texture with adjustable strength, yeah. Similar to how GTA games do with dirt on cars. I agree it would be fun to see, I mean even just trains appearing in different dirt conditions would add a lot to realism and variety to a run.

But I wonder if the licence holding operators would even be happy about that, considering many of the current rolling stock in game is very clean, probably to give better representation to the operators. Maybe some of them don't want to see their trains represented dirty? Of course, that would at least give even more importance to the train wash scenarios/services!

But in my opinion it would require way too much work currently. First you would have to set up your train models to have dynamic dirt and wetness effect, and I mean, even just setting up snow accumulation seems to be an issue for them sometimes... But then you would also need to make timetables where trains actually use the wash.

But I do agree it would be a very great and fun mechanism, but I wouldn't expect them to do it in the near future.

• Like Like x 3
  3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Doubt we’ll see incremental dirt.
    All my life the majority of trains I’ve travelled in have been tastefully distressed, but I wonder if the licensing of liveries restricts the degree to which they can be weathered.

Unlike the days of steam. There are anecdotes of Stroudley of the LBCR using his handkerchief to check whether an engine had been properly cleaned.
    They took pride in their jobs in those days.

4. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You can't have it all. Post your idea in the suggestions forum.

5. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I agree. I thought that the train wash was actually a working one with water and soap coming from the machine, but instead it just only a brush that go through the train and nothing else, which was so sad to see. I really hope that the team would add a fully working one which would be really amazing to see. :|

In regard to the train wash, it was also on the Bakerloo Line, the South Eastern Line, and the Pennisula Corridor route as well but doesn't wash the train at all. I thought the train was going to look so shiny and sparkle, with little water droplet, when it comes out of the train wash but that wasn't the case. Hopefully, they will add a working one in the future.:cool:

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You might need to consider this also exist in East Coast way One of the services that use the Eastbourne train wash is 5G03 which becomes 2G03 to Brighton but is late due to a Brighton Eastbourne Ore service due at Hampden Park