Who Here Is Watching Beijing 2022 Games

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by driverwoods#1787, Feb 13, 2022.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Hi guys it's me Driverwoods#1787 and my question is this is anyone in TSW 2 community watching the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. I have been watching this game on NBC Olympics on TV 5pm PST (SFJ) 8pm EST (SPG NEC LIRR OST Time) 1am GMT (UK Routes) 2am CET (Swiss German Routes RRO LGV France) 9am Beijing Perth Western Australia Manila time
    Some highlights
    US NBC Olympics 4x5km Womens Cross country gold medal footage
    https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/roc-surges-womens-4x5km-gold-sweden-takes-close-bronze
    ARD ZDF Germany Silver Medal 4x5 km Cross Country silver medal
    https://www.sportschau.de/olympia/langlauf/staffel-frauen-peking-100.html
    NOS Netherlands Ireen Wurst Notes: Both ARD ZDF Germany NOS Netherlands have Geoblock enabled
    https://nos.nl/peking2022/video/241...innende-olympische-1-500-meter-van-ireen-wust
    US NBC Olympics 5km Gold Medal Netherlands speed skating
    https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/irene-schouten-sets-olympic-record-womens-5000m-win
    US NBC Gold Olympics Gold Medal Nathan Chen Free Skate Gold medal run
    https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/nathan-chen-earns-gold-stunning-21863-point-free-skate
    US NBC Olympics Mila Valieva short program
    https://www.nbcolympics.com/videos/kamila-valieva-lands-triple-axel-team-event-short-program

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Mathematicians have yet to discover a number large enough to express the quantity of f***s I do not give about the Beijing Olympics.

• Like Like x 5
  3. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

As a Canadian I am morally obligated to say I watch the Winter Olympics, however have taken a pass for most of this one. Have some issues with the amount of money being spent on hosting the Olympics in general, along with some issues with the behaviour of said host country.

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

You're in the same boat as me and there are Chinese Canadians competing for China instead of Canada. One of these is Vancouver, BC region, Kimberly Newell. Americans competing for China are Eileen Gu and Beverly Zhu since locals tend to criticize their choices. The article Source is United States NBC News.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I haven't really been keeping up with the 2022 Winter Olympics. I have watched some highlights and the medal ceremony but that's about it really. I don't think it should've been in China though due to the government's behavior but hey money talks in these games more than the athletes.

6. driverwoods#1787

I have been watching them recently here's the thing yesterday United States won silver and gold medals at the Monobob single person bobsled.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have a dear friend who also works for me who was on the 1980 Olympic decathlon team when the US boycotted the Olympiad because of some political BS with Russia. He was on with Bruce Jenner but unfortunately couldn’t qualify 4 years later (he was 31 in 84) and so was unable to reach a goal he had worked toward most of his adult life. I watch the games to support the participants, not to worry about the political BS others want to associate with the games. They work hard and have dedicated years to get the chance to compete and I cheer them on because of that dedication.

I am sure my friend has always wondered what might have been if he could have been able to compete the year he was qualified.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

With all the Bad News of the last Days, it's kind of hard for me to focus on such a "Happy" Event.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Agreed about the focus on the athletes and the competition rather than the politics, whilst I haven't been closely following these games (despite them being Australia's most successful WO so far) I still keep an ear out, one of my mates from uni competed in the bobsled back in 2014, and my grandmother competed in the Javelin in the Summer Olympics back in 1956 (didn't make it past the heats so technically didn't "qualify", but she made it there and that is what counts).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I couldn´t care less. The invocation of the " peoples unifying Olympic spirit" is a puke provoking hypocrisy. That spirit is long gone and has been killed by commerce and corruption.

• Like Like x 4
  11. driverwoods#1787

thanks for telling me about that

12. driverwoods#1787

You mean Kamila Valieva's doping Scandal and I'm wondering what country are you from? If Germany the linked ARD ZDF videos can be opened. US Men's Ice Hockey team crashed in the Quarter finals against Slovakia

13. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

No, that´s not what I meant.

What I meant is the fact that the IOC has become a corrupt flying circus which invokes the once noble "Spirit of the Olympics", but in reality leaves scorched earth in their wake. The costs are stemmed by the locals, the (huge) profits go to the IOC and sponsors. Search for Abandoned Olympic Venues and you´ll understand what I´m talking about. I´ve seen my share 2016 in Brazil where unf.....believable amounts of money were deviated from the state´s treasuries. Meaning: The People´s Money. Apart from the real construction costs, of course. Look at these venues now!

Sustainability goes differently in my book.

IOC, FIFA and alikes are like locusts! And they´re shameless hypocrites when they come up with that "Olympic Spirit" BS. Just SAY it out loud: It´s all about the money, looooots of money.

Not my cup of tea, sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  14. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Same

• Like Like x 2
  15. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I mean, at least the World Cups / Continental Competitions in football actually do bring people together. Even though FIFA, UEFA, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, AFC and OFC all monetise the competitions heavily, there is still a strong passion for the cups. I can say that safely from Scotland, where football is a major part in our culture. Everyone is behind the team when we're playing - everyone wants us in that world cup.

Football means more than the money. To FIFA, it doesn't, however, to the fans, they make it more than money.

"Football without the fans is nothing"
    - Jock Stein, 1922 - 1985; Celtic & Scotland.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tallboy7648

The cost is why there are many cities across the world that really aren't interested in hosting the Olympic games anymore which isn't surprising. Cities and countries spend billions of dollars to build facilities to host the olympics but once they are over it cost millions to preserve the things that were built which some countries simply aren't willing to do so they end up abandoned. Host cities have actually lost money hosting these games because of how expensive it is. Sometimes I feel like it's better to host the winter/summer Olympics in one place or in the same host cities to save money and Olympic villages that were built should be preserved by the ioc so that they don't end up abandoned. I agree that the Olympics is about the athletes but unfortunately it's become a place where money is king like the FIA Formula One World Championship. The Olympics certainly have lost their charm with overspending, corruption and money seems to what matters most to the IOC in my opinion.

The costs are so high that the IOC choose Los Angeles to host the 2028 Olympic games due to the sheer lack of cities interested in hosting the games due to costs. Paris was the olnly other city interested in hosting the Olympics and that will happen in 2024. That's how you know the costs have just gotten to high

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Yes, the fans. I hear you. And agree completely. And that´s why I feel sad for them. Because there´s real passion, I know.
    But in the hands of these vultures they´ve become nothing else than a target for an overturned marketing and merchandise vehicle. Football, or call it soccer, is just a meaning to an end to sell more, more, more and faster and profitabler.

World Cup in Khatar? I mean ....... REALLY? WTF.

On a beautiful Sunday morning I walk my dog to a nearby park and watch the kids or some seniors playing the ball with real passion for the game. There!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

The idea to host the olympic games in one dedicated place I find attractive. Greece?

• Like Like x 1
  19. driverwoods#1787

Good point but for some cities that previously hosted them they have the option of Refurbishing an existing Olympic Venue that was constructed for the previous Olympics example is 1964 Tokyo Games stadium rebuilt for 2020 Tokyo. Los Angeles will do the same by refurbishing the 1984 venues for 2028 if applicable.

20. solicitr

You mean the 1932 venues refurbished for 1984....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. tallboy7648

Greece would be perfect tbh :)

22. Hiro Protagonist

As much as Greece/Athens is the archetypal Olympic host, it _might_ not be the best from a financial standpoint given the last ~15 years...

Sydney 2000 (#notbiased) is a great example of a Games whereby it may not have turned a profit on its own, but pretty much every new permanent venue is still standing and in frequent use.

23. solicitr

OTOH, the Olympic stadium from Atlanta 1996 has already been torn down: poor location; couldn't sell enough tickets even though the Braves were the terrors of the National League.

24. Hiro Protagonist

And that was a stadium deliberately built to be converted in to a baseball park after the Olympics were over...

Although Turner Field didn't end up getting torn down after the Braves left, to turn it in to Center Parc Stadium it was significantly re-configured though (apart from the obvious baseball-to-football differences)

25. driverwoods#1787

So in the case of 1996 Atlanta Games the stadium had to be rebuilt twice for MLB then NCAA. 2028 LA will use Super Bowl 56 stadium in the case of 2022 Beijing it's the 2008 Games stadium opening/closing

26. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I just wonder if UP will do torch running duties again for 2028, as they did in 1996 and 2002.
    7607.1568523210.jpg
    img_up_heritage_oly_arizona.jpg

Or someone could do a special one off paint, like SP did in 1984.
    4236.1590404540.jpg

27. solicitr

A summary of the Worst Olympics Ever

• Like Like x 1
  28. driverwoods#1787

Good point and here's the thing all the Russian female Skating athletes share the same trainer Eteri Tutberidze a survivor of Oklahoma City bombing. Here's a NBC Philadelphia article about her