Who Operates The Doors On Ice Services?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mr heff, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

I was just on Köln-Aachen and noticed that there were no cameras for the driver to see the doors on the ICE 3, does this mean that a guard operates them? If so, from where?

2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Generally I think high-speed is almost never driver-only (at least here in the west - no idea about Japan and China).

Here in Italy we have the train conductor (or Guard) which gives the driver the command to close the doors. Using a square key he blocks one of the doors from closing, he gives the driver the departure signal, he closes the doors. After the doors have closed the conductor gets on the train, closes his door and as soon as the driver has the interlock signal he departs.

Given the high level of standaridation between current generation of high speed units I don't believe it's going to be too much different for DB, SNCF, AVE or even Eurostar

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mr heff

This is what i had assumed, but I haven't been able to find a door control panel or interface that the guard might use on the train anywhere.

4. severino#7139

severino#7139 Member

perhaps guards in DB may use the same door controls in the rear loco? or maybe there is a hidden panel in every coach in the consist, but DTG does not implemented functionality since your only role is the train driver. i'm just assuming. ;)

5. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

ICE trains are always dispatched by the guards on the train. Multiple of them will guard different doors along the train and check that they are clear to close. Not a 100% sure on this, but I believe they can control the door opening and closing for the whole train from every door with a special key, and the main guard will do that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr heff

Thanks for the reply!