Why A Loco Bundle?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paintbrushguy, Sep 28, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    Now that DTG have officially announced the 'New Journeys' style pack I pose this question to you:

Who actually wants this?

A quick search around the forums would reveal people want more metro lines, upgrades to routes (like RT), not buying trains they possible already own.

What is the point of this pack for someone who already owns the MRCE 182, for example? They can get a livery off this amazing thing called Creators' Club and run with that instead!

Just to summarise, with this pack you get:
    • Another Class 66 (which PC users can already use here), when more often than not RHTTs run with 73s in the southeast, or so I am told.
    • Another BR182, just in yellow this time.
    • Another F7, only this one doesn't haul period-appropriate freight cars, instead uses the existing ones for Cajon Pass.
    Please, someone give me a reason to buy this pack.

Rant over, have a nice day!

• Like Like x 23
  2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I will reserve judgment until I see the stream this Thursday 29th, however at £11.99 it is hardly going to break the bank but I agree with your comment that it seems like buying trains we already own. There is a limit to how much time we have to play the game and a price of £8.99 would have been more appealing, especially as you will soon be able to pick it up in one of the many forthcoming Steam sales, which I am sure many will do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BleenTrean

BleenTrean Member

The worst part is the 182. I mean sure, you might not have Hamburg-Lubeck or the 182 addon for RT, but the only use the locomotive has on SKW is as a freight locomotive. This means that with PZB and LZB, you're limited to 120 kmh, and even without the safety systems, most german freight wagons have a top allowed speed of 120 kmh anyway! They could've instead tried representing it as a highspeed train that 182s are seen heading, the nightjet for example... yet it's stuck doing the exact same thing that the 185 does. It's a real waste of money. It's another damp log to add to the failing fire of SKW.
    I'm sure it won't be anytime soon that you'll recieve any sort of recommendation to get the pack lol.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The F7 feels more like something you would see on a model railroad layout....

A historic loco with modern cars on a modern route? Alot of us hard core NA fans are defiantly not a fan of it.

• Like Like x 17
  5. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Hey, I'd say the 182 was a good one to have. If you're able to purchase it without having to own Kassel-Wurzburg, it seems like a very nice way to own that specific locomotive. Just a cheap and convenient way to get a 182 on freight trains without having to purchase an entire Hamburg-Lubeck route, or enduring Rapid Transit's add-on.

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct but for the 182 running Nightjet you only drive that up to Rohrbach from Wurzburg making it sort of useless because in real life you go to Main Spessart Bahn via Nantenbach Lohr connector line. The Nightjet 182 is configured as first 8 carriages are Wien Hbf Brussels Midi via Aachen and Wien Hbf Amsterdam Centraal via HDU
    Hollandstrecke Duisburg Utrecht
    Last 4 are Innsbruck HMA Amsterdam Centraal carriages.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Well the creators club liveries doesn't apply to all trains, you don't get scenarios or new timetables. You can't get the new features and gimmicks and what not from just downloading from creators club. I see this more like a scenario pack from tsc. We've seen stuff like this from tsc. I'm probably not going to get it since I'm not interested in them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Some people will want it. Everyone else can have a rant because it isn’t the toy train they want. They can go into numerous reasons why it shouldn’t exist and why DTG are devils for making it and blah blah blah. I’m not going to try and convince anyone who doesn’t want it to buy it, there would be no point. My advice to you is don’t buy it, it’s clearly not for you.

• Like Like x 14
  9. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Pointless DLC, they should fix bugs in older locos but as we know... not gonna happen

• Like Like x 19
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I just like to have it all when I collect something. I collect virtual trains and virtual tracks. The mere fact of seeing new acquisitions in the collection makes me happy. Like collecting stamps.

Another potential reason: someone may not have these trains but want have these trains. BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I don’t want it. At the moment it’s £12 that can be saved towards another TSC route in the hopefully upcoming seasonal sales, or maybe the DB BR103 pack that I can thrash the full length from Dresden to Leipzig, or along the Rhine Valley with some UIC stock. Also got my eye on SSS as Stainmore gets glowing comments and a route we are unlikely to ever see in TSW.

If they want to do this sort of thing, then do as people are asking and take an existing route and extend it - GWE as many times requested, TVL to Boulby or Bishop Auckland or even as noted above Dresden Riesa finish up to Leipzig. Now any of those would be genuinely worth buying and not the “cash grab” that these livery packs with a few scenarios come across as.

• Like Like x 11
  12. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Just hate the recycling aspect.
    Paint jobs and an extra wagon.

I bought the Gwr pack.
    Was fun for a couple of play throughs, but never touched subsequently.

I hope Dtg registers our disquiet and will try to make this sort of addition more interesting and varied in future.

• Like Like x 6
  13. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

It's only a matter of time until more "micro-DLCs" are introduced... liveries, station enhancements, new outfits for the Zombies...

• Like Like x 17
  14. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Hhmm i think it is so familiar. EA!?!?!?!?!

• Like Like x 14
  15. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

People need to get out of the ‘Because I don’t want it, it’s bad’ mentality. Packs like this are great for me. I like to play scenarios so it’s worth it for me if I get some new ones. I also appreciate that some people won’t want it and that’s also fine. I’ll buy it and they don’t have to (unless they are the type that has to have everything, but more fool them for buying stuff they don’t like - I used to do this myself until I realised I never touch American stuff).

There maybe some disquiet on the forums, but DTG has all the player data, so I’m pretty sure they know this will sell, better that people speculating on the forums.

Personally I’m looking forward to it. It could be a lot better and it could be worse, but it has sufficient value for me, just treating it as a scenario pack.

• Like Like x 8
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

be my guest
    PS
    Excactly, this is not a compulsion :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2022
  17. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

The loco's are sold separately which is a good thing. If you want one of the loco's you can buy it without having to buy another route. More options to buy DLC I can only applaud.

• Like Like x 3
  18. I was disappointed that the f7 come as a freight loco and not passenger.

But 11.99 isn't a lot of money. And the extra services makes it worth getting I guess.

19. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

True but it does feel like a cash grab and leaves a bad taste

• Like Like x 6
  20. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Do not buy it so you won't be grabed :D

• Like Like x 2
  21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Extra services? Where did you find this info? The Class 66 would probably feature at least an extra service because it gets new wagons, but the BR182 and F7 might as well offer nothing more than substitution. At least, I wasn't able to find anything in the announcement article that hints towards extra services. I'd be happy to hear if I overlooked any info.

• Like Like x 1
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...o-bundle-coming-soon.60052/page-4#post-546986

23. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

No reason at all. Do what I do. I’m not interested in it so I won’t buy it. Leave it for those that do. Have a nice day yourself :)

24. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Not a cash grab. They can’t grab cash if you don’t hand it to them.

• Like Like x 3
  25. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

9 scenarios and 44 new services are included. That's a decent whack for your cash, and I'll definitely be picking it up at some point

26. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  27. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

We're on the same page.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This to an extent is true... but shouldn't you as a developer try to appeal to the widest possible audience with your releases? I am not a big UK fan, but even some of their stuff definitely catches my interest, the new SEHS being a top. This definitely got a ton of people upset, so something was done very poorly. And the effort put into this means it hasn't been put somewhere else, e.g. BNSF SD70Ace instead of the ATSF F7. So yeah, I don't have to buy it, I won't buy it, but I can be upset at a wasted opportunity, voice that opinion and perhaps get a better loco bundle next time.

• Like Like x 8
  29. orb

orb Well-Known Member

Horse Armour™ or... Donkey Armor.

30. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

We already have multiple dostos that we can't even distinguish in the menu when selecting them. I don't know why anyone would be excited to purchase more locos that they already have. The scenarios and extra services might be great, but imo I don't see the need to release locos we already have re-wrapped.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  31. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Pink color pack for passengers anyone? It can be yours for $13.49 ;)

• Like Like x 2
  32. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Not me

33. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A BNSF SD70 would be practically indistinguishable from the ES44. The F7 is a totally different beast to drive and provides a different type of gameplay rather than a very similar loco that fits better with the time period. I think that’s more important even if it isn’t perfect. Like a RHTT which is something completely different but in a familiar loco. I think it will appeal to many people, my only reservation being a different colour loco to one already in the route to drive in the dark in tunnels for Kassel-W. I wouldn’t be having a rant if it didn’t contain anything I liked though, or if I thought it was a poor attempt at something different. I usually only rant at DTG for things that are broken and never get fixed (and once a year for their latest UI attempt!).

34. Blacknred81

If you can't tell the 2 apart, then someone needs their eyes checked.....
    996-106027v0_20191121.jpg 4761903930_27848937e1_b.jpg
    If they wanted to do something like that, why not put it off to a later date and make a diesel legends like pack for Cajon then? Use the opportunity to make new freight cars and some of Santa Fe's Budd Hi-Levels? Maybe also throw in a GP9 for fun? Would of been a way better idea than whatever they are trying with this pack... Could of also thrown in some alt skins for the F7 as well.

• Like Like x 12
  35. Suryaaji#2369

Can't stop chuckle read this. XD hahahaha

• Like Like x 7
  36. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Just plop a f7 on cajon pass in scenario designer then if you want to play the f7 on that route. This is like saying they should put an mp36 on lirr since it's a different beast

• Like Like x 15
  37. Suryaaji#2369

For someone with minimum knowledge about US freight stuff, perhaps Dash 9-44CW - AC4400CW - GEVO kinda looks the same/indistinguishable. But if they can't recognize 2 completely different engines like GEVO vs SD70, they should go to the Optometrists immediately.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  38. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I feel better about it since you can buy the packs individually. I'll probably get the 182 and the RHTT.

I'm torn on the F7 because it does look quite nice and i'm sure it's a fun drive, but having it turn up in service mode all the time will just look stupid to be completely honest.

Just wish they had held off on that one until they could do era-appropriate rolling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  39. I'm in the middle of a f7 service run now on Cjp, It's not too sad, don't seem underpowered or anything.

40. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Because its cheap and quick and the must sell well based on prior experience.

We literally just got 2.5 new routes and new locos less than a month ago. TSW3 had two entirely new routes and one that is a pretty big expansion of an older route. I am sure people will say "well I don't like US freight so I don't care about Cajon" or "I don't like tunnels/ICE so I don't care about Kassel" but at the end of the day those are still entire routes (and big ones) that took a lot of time to make. And I am sure there are more in the pipeline, but I'd expect some waiting period when it has been like two weeks since an entire game with new routes.

And if anything DTG should be taking things slower, not pumping them out faster, since we already have enough problems with partially broken routes taking too long to get fixed.

Every person doesn't need to buy every DLC. Buy the ones you think are interesting and skip the rest. They aren't meant to satisfy every single person. This one like the other New Journeys one is more of a quick one to get some semi-new trains and new services/scenarios for a low cost of development and low cost of entry. From what I saw in the post it is going to cost less than half of what most new route or loco DLCs cost. Also there is probably a whole world of people out there buying DLC from the store who don't even come close to this forum. Forum comments are only part of the user base and DTG is the one that sees the bottom line and knows what sells. Most people have specific tastes... some only want British, German, US, freight, passenger, whatever... some only want realistic trains on realistic routes... some don't care about having retro stock on modern routes... no point in getting worked up when not every DLC fits your wants.

• Like Like x 4
  41. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Ooh, they’re slightly different lol… I’ll wager that the difference in appearance when together is much easier for people to tell apart than if you showed just one to most TSW players in a blind test and asked which one it was. The F7 on the other hand is very different and the difference in driving it and one of the pictured twins is much bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Blacknred81

So what if it drives or looks different. It's still way out of its era and timeline for what DTG is trying to accomplish with it. Should of held back on it and did it in its own separate pack, and used something else to enhance the existing Cajon Pass route in a more realistic way.

• Like Like x 14
  43. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Why are the people who don't like this pack so excited and upset? It's just a scenario pack that DTG believe some players might enjoy playing.
    Have they wasted your precious time in some way ?
    Have they ruined your day, your life?

I was in the grocery store yesterday. Some food manufacturer has introduced a new flavor of cereal that I will never buy. I've bought plenty of their other flavors, but seeing this one take up space on the shelf really pissed me off. I complained to the manager and he told me it was very popular. That pissed me off even more.

Let those who want this pack enjoy it. DTG can make any train or route they think will sell.

Those who are ranting against it are just being daft.

And if I see the phrase " cash grab " again........

• Like Like x 9
  44. Crosstie

That's just plain arrogant.

I can't tell a 375 from a 377 or a dosto from a schmosto.
    So what? If I were not a US freight loco enthusiast, they would all look pretty much the same to me too.

• Like Like x 3
  45. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Cash grab!

Not the greatest comparison. Not many people can't eat their last box of cereal because it's been broken for months while the manufacturer pumps out new brands of cereal.

But it's amusing to see posters ranting about posters ranting :)

• Like Like x 2
  46. Blacknred81

Because it could of been done better

All we ask is DTG make something at least somewhat realistic with these packs.

There isn't anything wrong with the ATSF F7, if it was given correct stock and ran with period stuff. It should of been pushed back into a retro pack, give DTG more time to make period accurate rolling stock. Maybe some passenger equipment. Some other schemes for the F7. Maybe include a GP7/9. Add UP to that timetable, boom 1950s era timetable for Cajon with correct stock.

The upcoming pack should of enhanced the modern timetable, not do whatever the heck DTG is currently doing...

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. redrev1917

But then the purists would complain that the track layout is incorrect and that DTG should have done XYZ including adding 2 tunnels and increasing the overall elevation.
    If you dont like, dont buy. Personally I'm likely to buy all 3 as the pack, burn through the 10 or services & 3 scenarios on CJP then uninstall that part.

48. Blacknred81

Granted would personally still be annoyed with that, but it is what it is.

EDIT: Also, alot of us NA railfans are pretty stingy when it come to prototypical accuracy and such, so it obvious that it's common that we complain about packs like this.

If there is value for you, then that's fine, but some of us are disappointed or confused in the choices that DTGs makes.

• Like Like x 10
  49. redrev1917

I mean as a UK modern era railfan, I just look at the NA stuff with envy, its been 12 months since we've had a new modern day era UK route from DTG. In that period NA fans have had 3 DTG produced routes & HSC, and we've had WCL and a rehash of SEHS

50. Crosstie

Of course it could have been better. Everything that they do could be better. I'll grant you that pairing the F7 with some 1950's boxcars would have made it much better. But for $14, what are you expecting. Sorry, but that's chump change these days.

Somebody had some spare time and repainted the CRR F7 and made some new scenarios for Cajon Pass. That might be all they had time for. No time to make any Geeps, ATSF stock or Amtrak superliners. They had to get back to their day job of building the next best thing - a new route or two or three.

If it flies, all well and good. If not, well nothing much lost really.

When Diesel Legends was made, the UK purists were up in arms. Oh dear, this train is out of place and time and the wrong paint job. In retrospect it was apparently a modest success.

I suspect this pack will share the same future.

DTG doesn't make stuff for the purists. They make stuff for the average player. That player is probably not posting on the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.