Will Doing A Verify Integrity Of Files On Steam Put Back An .ap File If I Have Opened It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ex_railwayman, Sep 28, 2022.

1. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

If I extracted the contents of several .AP files in my Assets folders utilising TSTools, if I did a verify integrity of files on Steam, will it then put back the .AP file accordingly for each one already opened, does anyone know please, and don't ask why they have been opened, that's not the question.

Cheerz. Steve.

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I suspect it will Steve.

3. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

There's no real need to do the verify thing these days fortunately.

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

It will only update the actual .ap file if you've changed anything within it, this does not apply to anything you've extracted or added outside of the .ap

The game will prioritise the extracted/external files over the .ap file so if you want to return anything to its vanilla state delete any files not in the .ap file.

No matter how many times you verify integrity it will not return the route/rolling stock to standard if you leave the modified external files in place.

5. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Plus - as Reef states, it will only update any .ap file that is different from the same file on the master database,
    If you haven't edited the .ap file, or it has been 'corrupted' in some way then it may not usually be changed (however, the .ap file will be changed if the date/time/attribute are different from the steam master db).
    What's worrying me is what has caused you to have to verify the game files now. If the problem is with any of the extracted .ap files then verifying the game files will not fix that. Likewise if is due to a 3rd party add-on/DLC then again that won't be fixed either.
    Steve it would be great to see what error you are getting.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  6. ex_railwayman

I'm not verifying an .AP file, Peter, I could want to verify my very old RailSimulator Kuju folder, however, I don't want to verify anything if it is going to install brand new .AP files for stuff that I have already extracted to run freeware routes with extra asset files attached in each folder. I have over 200 .AP files installed, everything from routes to asset folders from the last few years, I don't want Steam to install clean uptodate files again as they aren't required, and it would take hours to re-install them, but, it appears you have no choice to re-download files that you don't want as Steam doesn't work that way, if you understand me. I wanted to be cautious before I attempted anything, but, now you guys have explained things I think it best to not bother verifying anything now, it'll mess all my files about, especially, as I always archive the .AP file after extracting all its contents onto another separate hard drive, so, it isn't physically in its relevant folder any more. When I was in TS Tools I wanted to swap an excavator on a route, but, as all the excavators are buried deep inside .AP files, which TSTools cannot read, I have to extract the contents of .AP files to allow me to swap out various scenery assets, etc, whenever I want to on any route in TSTools, that is one of the biggest problems with this invention.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There is no *.ap files in my Kuju folder.
    Recently I was having problems with some of the locos in the Kuju folder and I renamed the folder to Kuju Old and then unticked/ticked the folder in the Steam Client Library. That cause the default set of files to be installed. I could then copy those assets I wanted.

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Then you do not have the US Loco and Asset pack installed, Peter. It comes in .ap format.

11.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2022
  9. ex_railwayman

I think the majority of us have done something similar Peter, I divided my folders up into UK and German, as I have hundreds of reskins, and different signals etc, and was fed up scrolling through pages of locos and wagons on a British route and having to wade through all the European content in the editor that was all in the way was an absolute nightmare. Of course, the more folders you have the more chance of a file or texture getting corrupted and then you have to find it and sort it out, which is another massive headache.
    The RailSimulatorUS folder is an .AP file now, although it obviously wasn't back in Kuju days.

Cheerz. Steve.

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I do have it installed but I only looked thru the European files on my computer - my bad