Will Riesa-dresden Activate The Relevant Layers On Köln-aachen?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sgt. Seymour Skinner, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

Sgt. Seymour Skinner Active Member

Hey all, sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but I had a look around and couldn't find a definitive answer.

So yeah as the title says, the only German route I own is Köln-Aachen so I was wondering if the Riesa-Dresden DLC will activate the BR 143, BR 146.2 and BR 185.5 layers on that route?

I originally thought this would have to be the case, but after hearing that the BR 143 & BR 146 were re-mastered for the new route, I'm starting to become very doubtful considering my experience of DTGs limited focus on backwards compatibility.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

No, you will still need to buy MSB

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  3. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Probably not. These trains have originating in other routes already. I think it would make things much more complicated.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sgt. Seymour Skinner

Sgt. Seymour Skinner Active Member

Hey thanks for the answers. It's a bit of a pity though, getting a new route with this pack and enhancing one I already owned was sounding like a good deal to me and might have increased my interest in the German content. I'll probably just give it a miss and buy Brighton when it goes on sale.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

No, but the Köln-Aachen route will enable the BR 406 layer on Dresden, adding 14 services for the ICE.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think it may be partially down to the locos being 'gutted' and rebuilt, but probably also because the Dosto coaches are specifically branded for the Dresden S-Bahn, which would make little to no sense on all regional services on the other side of the country - it's a similar issue with putting the Munich 423 on Koln - it'd still be branded for the Munich S-Bahn.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

You can pick the Riesa - Dresden locos if you have the layers active from the other routes by using the "livery" select option, I did this to drive the newer MRCE 185.5 on SKA. Not sure if Riesa - Dresden unlocks the layers by itself though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

Could anyone tell me please if there is a table or a web page somewhere which shows how each DLC interacts with the others? It might sway me (and others) to buy a specific DLC if I can see that DLC A adds significantly more traffic to DLC B.

9. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In general -and to date Rapid Transit as rebuilt recently is the only exception- routes only have layers for locos/MUs which existed at the time the route was released. In other words, Koln-Aachen had layers included for the then-extant German trains, from MSB, RRO and RSN, but could not have looked in a crystal ball and added layers for trains that didn't exist yet, like the Dresden versions.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Blu

Blu Active Member

I was just doing a scenario on MSB, and a 143 turned up So looks like the new route may add stock to other routes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Do you have RSN? It layers from there.

13. Blu

Blu Active Member

Maybe what route is that?

14. Blu

Blu Active Member

Oh i know what you mean no. I don't have that. It was the last Journey on the first chapter if that makes scene. At Gemunden

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  15. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Yes. It is a great resource put together for us by breblimator.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Clumsy Pacer

Substitution does sometimes work back, but it won't add any services.

• Like Like x 2
  18. solicitr

Yes; substitution is not layering. A "layer" is a group of new services not available in the base route, which only unlock if you have the appropriate train (such as the HRR 425 on HMA). Whereas substitution just allows you to swap one train for another on existing services.

• Like Like x 1
  19. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

It doesn't add services to other routes and rightly so. It would be unfair.

20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Why would it be unfair??

In an ideal world there wouldn't be dependencies for locos based on routes and neither would there be multiple versions of certain locos and stock. There is only one version of each route, but the locos being tied to routes mean they are all essentially route specific.

One creates the other, because each loco is tied to a route, changing one will not change other copies. I hope this is something that changes in the future so the whole experience is more like owning a train set and we don't need to wait for a separate team to put new technology on older releases by hand.

• Like Like x 1
  21. fabristunt

It would be unfair towards long time supporters and people who bought all the other stuff. People who have all the other routes required for the layers have been around longer, or invested more in the game. Already including the 363 is a bit of a Richard move, but giving all the layers would be even worse. It would lower the value of the other DLCs.

Anyway it's not like it's ever gonna happen: as you pointed out, all locos are tied to routes and are different from each other. Using the new 185 would probably create more issues than DTG is willing to deal with because of the differences with the MSB 185 and so on for the other locos.

22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

For layers to be given we need all involved content to be given (for free!).
    This means most content is to be given (for free!).
    I think the chance is very tiny small ;)
    363 is a nice RH bonus \o/

23. fabristunt

Yes, nice bonus, but in my opinion it should have been a layer for those owning the 363 DLC, not a half-assed- last-minute addition.

24. solicitr

Apparently tying locos to "home" routes is a Steam thing; I don't know why this is but according to Matt in a stream some months ago Steam can't handle "independent" locos.

25. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard that (although it could be true obviously). I remember Matt saying recently that a problem with locos not having a "home" route is that there is nowhere to put the tutorial. In TS1, the Academy has simplified standard routes inbuilt, but there is no such functionality in TSW and so no way of creating a tutorial that will work regardless of which routes you have.

26. Clumsy Pacer

I think you may be confusing that with the 'depot' system he has mentioned on here, which Steam couldn't handle (can't remember the details on it) - if Steam couldn't handle loco DLCs not being tied to routes, then why are loco DLCs in TS1 independent of routes?

• Like Like x 1
  27. solicitr

It has seemed to me that DTG could create a phantom "route" with no content, which is part of the base game, and which is the pseudo-"home" route for all rolling stock.

28. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I wonder if would be worth DTG’s time to create a training ‘mode’ for each country?

They could take a simple Station/Depot from each country and always include that in the base game, loco DLC’s could use those as their home, the mini route sections could have all the available power options and the training module could be placed there.

Then we get rid of the home route issue, we will get more variable scenarios for the new loco DLC’s.

The 2 issues really are that it would probably be a significant chunk of work to get this in place initially, and we may encounter the issue of needing a new training map for each new country, however I can’t help wonder how much better this type of system would be in the long run.

• Like Like x 1