Winter Contest Multiple Posts? Vent.

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by vogelm10, Jan 15, 2021.

1. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

I know this will most likely get me in hot water with admins, but maybe some hot water will help cool off the ice I'm feeling right now.

Firstly I don't want people to assume this is just someone who is being a sore looser throwing shade at others. Absolutely the opposite. I'm afraid that people are going to be similarly turned off from wanting to participate in future contests so long as the following goes unaddressed.

The issue I bring up is multiple posts.

When someone goes through great lengths to try and not copy anyone else, they research a topic, spend hours working on trying to make it look nice, then post it and feel great about their end result it's a giant slap to the face when another member can make multiple posts (some of which are VERY similar in design and theme to others) as it makes for an unfair contest. Why would someone want to spend hours of their life doing something when someone else can flood the contest with entries?

Now I know people will say with a set theme we will have similarities. Yeah, sure we may, but it doesn't mean that a spring theme forces everyone to draw cherry blossoms and daffodils. We have seen plenty of really cool and unique entries into this contest that all are in theme without being so blatantly obvious as to where the inspiration came from.

It seems like the way the rules are currently set up the sure fire way to win this is as follows.

Wait for previous winner to post, take that idea and copy it while making the smallest changes and also incorporating aspects of other posts that you like, then post and let the good times roll!

Now I know being vocal about this isn't helping my case with winning any favors from those judging the contest and that most likely has played a role in this, but I am not one to be quite sorry.

Please consider for the spring contest to do something about this issue, not for me so much but for the others who work so hard for this and won't speak up because honestly I am not making any entries again after this.:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

So what is your issue? Is it people copying others or is it multiple entries? Neither cancels the other out. If they put a limit of two entries, that won’t stop someone being inspired by, or indeed copying, someone else’s entry.

The winner of the winter theme contest didn’t copy anyone this time, that’s in your imagination. Their entry was as original as any other. You claim it was someone else they were copying but be honest it’s your entry that you think was copied. I don’t think you can pretend you’re raising this issue on behalf of anyone other than yourself.

I agree that there should be a limit on the number of entries, which will allow people only to enter what they think is their very best work, and to add clarity to the competition, but that’s not going to stop what you actually think is the problem, which is copying. I could still follow what you claim is a sure fire method of winning, and stay within my allowed number of entries. Follow your own method to guarantee a win next time, if that’s what you really think is happening.

Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear, but I saw every entry on the forum (but not any that were entered on social media) as they came in, and although there were similarities across designs, I didn’t see any evidence of foul play, and neither it appears did the judges. They would have also read your initial reactionary complaint in the competition thread, and yet they still chose the one you were complaining about as the winner. It won on its own merit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. vogelm10

Nope it was Manticor he copied look at the background how the trees were made, look at how he drew the wolf and how the shadow of it lies on the snow, look at the overall theme of the silhouette with the animals. If you don't see the visual similarities of that then I don't know what to say. Theme wise yes he did take from mine but that was the more minor issue as you mentioned. Also take into account the timing it was posted and it isn't a coincidence. Also if he says he is a professional graphics arts person he should surly know better than to be so similar, that isn't excusable. But you always like to stand up for the admins so honestly I am not surprised in your reply.

4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Now I'm not sure how you can stop copying. There will always be some that will copy or take inspiration from other designs. I don't use livery designer but I agree that perhaps there should be a limit on how many designs you should enter so if you make several different designs, you can choose only one that you think is the best instead of plopping several different entries in. It could make it more competitive

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  5. vogelm10

The real issues with multiple posts are that let's say I want to toss in 20 designs. Even if only one will be judged, the simple odds are that my 1 in 20 is better than 1 in 2. Also by flooding it it will be like a DNS error where other entries will get swallowed up and lost so people won't see them potentially.

Also, my design skills are pretty damn good, so if I am chucking in a bunch of really advanced stuff someone who is just getting started with this or who may not have an artistic background would potentially see these and think "well I can't make this so why bother?" This isn't what you want in a contest, the more people in it the better it is for everyone. By discouraging new entries and beginners it sets this up to be something where over time the number of entries may be the same but the actual participation drops considerably.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tallboy7648

I see what you are saying mate. I personally wouldn't partake in a contest like this but I do think that one entry does make sense. If you put countless entries that are all good, you increase your odds of winning which is not good. I'm not sure how you could prevent copying though

7. vogelm10

See you should enter because they are super fun and livery designer is pretty cool once you figure it out and actually a lot of us who do this contest are really friendly in the other thread. Manticor taught me how to make my handrails stand out, sparmi has some really sick designs for the br shunter, like we all help each other out with it. But yeah people just need to be more creative in their designs and not take the lazy route by being so similar.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tallboy7648

I may give it a crack at some point

9. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

So that's why they never attempted to do some serious competitions with some serious rewards... hopefully there will be a spring contest, don't take it for granted.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1