Wishlist: Amtrak On American Freight Routes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dan29496, Aug 10, 2022.

1. dan29496

dan29496 New Member

I dream of a day when we see the Amtrak license used to bring us the Pennsylvanian on Horsehoe Curve, the Capital Limited on Sand Patch, and The California Zephyr on Sherman Hill. Anyone else feel the same?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

At least with more and more freight routes added it increases the amount of route for Amtrak LD trains to sub in. And Cajon is the only freight route at the moment with three Amtrak stops on it, most other Routes only have 1 or no stops.

Sand Patch Grade
    -Capitol Limited (Cumberland only)
    Horseshoe Curve
    -Pennsylvanian (Johnstown and Altoona)
    Cajon
    -Southwest Chief (San Bernardino, Victorville, Barstow)
    Peninsula Corridor
    -Coast Starlight (San Jose only)
    Cane Creek
    -California Zephyr (No stops in Modern era)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Now we don't have loco dlcs tied to routes the possibility for Amtrak LD services has certainly increased. Let's hope we see a constant stream of loco DLCs

• Like Like x 5
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Being able to drive passenger trains on those freight routes certainly ups the value of these routes for me. It basically makes one-trick pony into a two-trick pony which is a massive improvement and a better reason to spend money on these routes.

• Like Like x 3
  5. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Like your thinking OP.
    Always enjoyed running Amtrak on the old TS.

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For Pennsylvanian P42DC P40DC Cajon Pass DLC compatible with ACS-64 Amfleet I II coaches on Horseshoe Curve. the Entire set can run on Sand Patch Grade Basically you drive it from Cumberland Station to Rockwood Junction with the Somerset and Cambria Railroad the line leading to Rockwood Mine eventually joining Horseshoe Curve

• Like Like x 1
  7. dr1980

dr1980 Member

I was think the same, hopefully this is the case as I’d love to operate Amtrak on these freight routes not to mention having them operating as AI.

8. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Just yesterday I noticed that 7FDL-16 has produced a superb P42DC Amtrack 'Empire Builder" superpack enhancement for the TSC P42 and checked out the U-tube demo - that is what we need on TSW3! Would be near-perfect on Cajun.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The P42 does make glorious sound!

10. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

Yes! I don't particularly like the US freight routes because I'm more into passenger trains, but if you were to add the possibility of running an Amtrak with several stops, that's a whole new ballgame.
    Agreed. After the F40, it's my all-time favorite in terms of sound. The horn is as close to ideal as you can get.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Anthony Pecoraro

I love the HEP sound too.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The problem is, outside NEC Boston there are no routes in the game which have "several" Amtrak stops.

13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Not in the game, yet, but the " Hiawatha" has 5 stops between Chicago and Milwaukee and runs 6 or7 round trips a day. Plus at about 90 miles, it's now within TSW3 range. It also is a CP ( Soo Line ) freight route.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  14. Anthony Pecoraro

Cajon has 3.

15. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

I like the thought but there are exactly two services Amtrak would add to the Horseshow Curve timetable. One in each direction per day. Same for the Chief Zephyr etc on other routes. The only way to really do Amtrak justice is on the NEC. I'd love to see the full NEC from Boston to Washington with all commuter services (nj transit, metro north, septa, marc etc) included. Not sure how many routes that would have to be but I'd love to see boston sprinter become Boston to NY and then a new route NY to Washington. I fear the length of the routes may not make it possible. It would be even better if some spurs like the new canaan line raritan valley line or north jersey coast line were included.

If you want true passenger US passenger services like you see in SEHS or London Commuter or the German routes the NEC is the only equivalent route here in the US. We simply don't have the rail network here that is over there.

I've also seen people wanting subway services. As cool as the NY subways are most of them are underground until you get to the outer boroughs. If you want an iconic American subway route you gotta go for the "L" in Chicago. I would think DTG could easily do the entire system in one route.

16. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

It would be nice to just have something as simple as seeing the odd Amtrak service layer in as AI on routes like HSC and Cajon Pass.

• Like Like x 2
  17. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

As previously stated, most of these Amtrak services would be once daily in each direction. However, I could be interested in an "Amtrak trainset" DLC that was decoupled but added timetables to some of these routes, and future routes. Nice that something like that is now at least possible.

• Like Like x 2
  18. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Oh Yes.
    Love the idea of an "Amtrak trainset " dlc.

Just how difficult would it be to have two hidden timetable slots written into each new American route.
    Once you buy the Amtrak set the routes become visible to use.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

That's the nice thing about loco DLCs particularly with this whole TSW3 decoupling, they don't need to be bound to specific routes. It's perfectly reasonable to have a loco which gets layered into the timetable of any and all appropriate routes, and then is available to drive off the rails in scenario planner however you like.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I think this probably the only financially viable way for it to happen. Really hope we'll see an Amtrak diesel pack sometime in the next year.

• Like Like x 3
  21. solicitr

Exactly: decoupling would enable loco/rolling stock DLCs which couldn't be justified on a single route, but which could appear in a limited way on many (Amtrak P42+Superliners or Amfleets as appropriate; 101 + IC coaches across multiple German routes)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blacknred81

Think it would be more efficient to add the Superliners to a P42 pack vs the Amfleets, since we already have a few Amfleets already, and more routes that would require the Superliners over yhe Amfleets. However I think ideally a pack should include both. Since the pack would cover most regular Amtrak trains. (Aside from those that use Viewliner stuff or the Autotrain)

• Like Like x 1
  23. solicitr

I had taken the Amfleets as read, since Boston is a core Rush Hour route; but you're right, it won't be a base TSW3 route. Still, it's something DTG can toss in at no cost to themselves.

24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

When The Racetrack came out in TSC, the Super Chief appeared as AI. Although it was non-driveable, just its occasional appearance added some luster to the route.
    If we we're able to somehow add Amtrak trains to existing routes as AI, it would be a real plus. But that would need a real scenario editor in TSW.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

There are also Amfleet IIs that would need to be made.

26. Blacknred81

You also have to remember those pieces of stock were Very low poly models, and weren't really suited for anything else besides AI and yard filler.

27. solicitr

In theory, yes, but considering how similar they are I wouldn't consider it a priority. (There also aren't all that many of them; and they're only used on long-haul services where height restrictions preclude Superliners)

28. Blacknred81

Yeah, I would consider the Superliner I/II more of a priority over the Amfleet IIs Also the Viewliner II Baggage cars as well.

Personally I think inly the Superliner IIs should be the focus, as those cars include the Transitional cars.