Train Sim World 3 Wmata Yellow/green Lines: Greenbelt-huntington/branch Avenue

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by seb77, Mar 12, 2023.

1. seb77

seb77 New Member

Background info on WMATA.

WMATA Metrorail is the subway of Washington D.C. with 6 lines, 97 stations (1 more expected in May 2023), and 128 miles of route. There are currently 4 types of rolling stock running on the system. The system was opened in 1976 and features a brutalist design. The stations have a very unique design unseen in other metro systems in the USA.

This suggestion focuses on the Yellow and Green lines which both run south from Greenbelt, Maryland before diverging at L'Enfant Plaza to go to either Huntington, Virginia (Yellow) or Branch Avenue, Maryland (Green) (It is set before the opening of Potomac Yard, unless the developers choose to include it)

System Map:
    [​IMG]

There are 29 stations with both lines combined with 14 of them being above ground. There are 3 railyards which are the Greenbelt Yard, Alexandria Yard, and Branch Avenue Yard. The line also features a bridge that crosses the Potomac River called the Fenwick bridge. Currently there are 4 types of trains running, but I will only suggest 2 for this suggestion. The Alstom 6000 Series and the Kawasaki 7000 Series.

These trains were both made in the 21st Century and are WMATA's newest railcars. They feature ATC Cab Signalling as well as ATO, which has not been used much after a deadly collision in 2009. Afterwards, all trains were operated manually. The cars are 75 feet long, 10 ft 1+3⁄4 inches wide, and 10 feet, 10 inches tall. They utilize a narrower gauge trackway of 4 ft 8+1⁄4 in which is only a .25 inch difference from standard gauge.

The 6000 Series uses Alstom ONIX 2000 IGBT–VVVF Traction Motors. It entered service in 2006.
    [​IMG]

upload_2023-3-12_16-12-0.png
    upload_2023-3-12_16-16-28.png

The 7000 Series uses Toshiba IGBT–VVVF Traction Motors. It entered service in 2015
    [​IMG]
    upload_2023-3-12_16-17-6.png
    [​IMG]

Here are some notable/interesting stations and locations on the lines.

Greenbelt (Northern Terminus)
    [​IMG]

Hyattsville Crossing
    [​IMG]

Fort Totten
    [​IMG]

Gallery Place-Chinatown
    [​IMG]

L'Enfant Plaza
    [​IMG]

YELLOW LINE:

Fenwick Bridge
    [​IMG]

Pentagon:
    [​IMG]

Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport:
    upload_2023-3-12_18-17-36.png

Huntington (Yellow Line Southern Terminus):
    [​IMG]

GREEN LINE:

Southern Avenue:
    [​IMG]

Suitland:
    [​IMG]

Branch Avenue:
    [​IMG]

That is all. Please show support for this, as there should be another subway in the TSW franchise, and I feel WMATA Metrorail would be a good way to start especially with American Rapid Transit.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  2. necrailfan#8191

necrailfan#8191 Member

I feel like this would actually be a very good route, but they better add in CSX trains as layers south of the Potomac and North of College Park

• Like Like x 2
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Let me guess the American version of Glasgow Subway post 1980 modernization an ATO system on the Subway. Since this is a space age Metro System it needs to use the Edinburgh Waverly to Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High working lift features on all stations due to it being ADA accessible from Day one. DTG might do NYC Subway like Queens Blvd

4. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

I haven't rode the DC Metro(visiting from New York) in a while..Yellow line goes to Greenbelt??I thought it ended at Mt Vernon Sq/Fort Totten(I think that's the station).

5. cmadonna1998

cmadonna1998 Active Member

Personally, I would love to see a US subway system implemented in TSW and I think WMATA would be a great fit. I love the architecture of the stations and it would be quite cool to see it implemented in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  6. necrailfan#8191

necrailfan#8191 Member

Yeah it has been going to Greenbelt since at least 1991ish (that’s what Wikipedia is telling me)

7. seb77

seb77 New Member

The yellow line was extended to Greenbelt in 2019 (I think) but is currently shut down to rehabilitate the bridges and tunnels that cross the Potomac.

8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Here is the most recent station map.
    upload_2023-3-15_9-12-23.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That includes the Silver Line to Washington Dulles Airport. From this NBC Washington News Report the Metro System might be going back to automatic train operation this is done too improve energy consumption and service patterns. If that were to be done on the WMATA Green line how will the training centre handle a fully automated Metro like Washington DC Green Line. Otherwise you would have two training levels the basic occurring at the training center and the specific signaling ends up occurring at the section of the Green Line. This is How SEH and Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg Kassel Wilhelmshöhe Würzburg Hbf segment works basically you have basic training at the training center and specific ones on the route themselves.

10. seb77

seb77 New Member

Theres a very simple solution. Just base the route on operations pre-ATO. So between 2019-2022.

• Like Like x 1