1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodhead Route Class 76 How To Drive It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sjmlancs, Apr 29, 2019.

1. sjmlancs

sjmlancs New Member

Hi All

I'm a bit of a woodhead route enthusiast so took the plung & purchased the route pack. I've followed the instructions to drive the loco but I'm struggling to get the loco above 40mph. The brake level is always at 13% & I'm struggling to work out if that is meant to be that way or am I doing something wrong.

I know the 76 is a complex loco to drive & not as simple as a class 47 for instance. I'm using the steam version if that helps.

Cheers

Si

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Active Member

The Woodhead loco's start with the traction motors connected in serial which is best for starting and low speeds. Once you get to about 30mph you should power all the way down, switch to parallel and power up again. In the original route's EM1 and the EM2 (Class 77) you can make the switch by pressing B but I can't speak for the newer Corporate Blue era route.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

A lot of locos have brakes in "running" rather then "off" so it's normal to have them at a small percentage of around 15% in that running mode.

With regards to high speeds, as JJTimothy says older locos (especially the electrics) worked in different modes when working at low and high speeds so I'd re-read the manuals and chekc again as there's likely something you've missed (such as going all the way to power OFF when switching between modes which you don't have to do in other model types)

4. sjmlancs

sjmlancs New Member

Thanks for the reply chaps I shall give it another go this evening & see where I get. I have had trouble in the past with bugs in some routes & wondered if it was one of those hot it's no doubt me driving it wrong.

5. 749006

749006 Active Member

Although the HUD shows around 12% the needles showing the brakes are Off.
    Just try a Free Roam to get used to the Loco
    Put the Direction Leaver to FWD and the SER/PAR handle to SER.
    Notch up until you are on Full Power then move the Handle back to Notch 1 and Change to PAR
    You can now notch up again to get higher speed from the loco(s)
    This might help -

Peter