Working Gsm-r

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hughmc, Jul 4, 2021.

1. hughmc

hughmc New Member

there should do a working
    GSM-R on all the trains it would be grate

• Like Like x 9
  2. Jetset-James

Jetset-James Member

I agree, as a signaller, I use this daily.

I wouldn’t hold your breath, I think DTG have shown they’ll do as they please. TSW has a huge amount of potential and sadly just fails to deliver far too many times. The routes are far too short, there isn’t enough AI traffic, signals always being green unless approaching the terminus. It needs options to control these on PC so that high end spec machines can make it fully immersive. So many things that Matt and the team fail to acknowledge and do something about.

Rant over

• Like Like x 8
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It would be even grater if this was in the suggestion part of the forums, I thought it was a mod or something

4. rpeterbroughlowe

rpeterbroughlowe Active Member

It's a good suggestion. I'd love random GSM-R messages advising of trespassers, un-timetables stops, reported poor adhesion the list is endless.

I think a better implementation of the current command and control system would be a starting point; approach control; flashing yellows, automatic sections and what not, simulating overlap zones too would a nice little touch also.

• Like Like x 3
  5. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Agreed, although the signalling is getting there, we do have the flashing yellows in SEHS. However, approach control from red does not exist at the moment (apart from approach to a shunt sub signal), and is needed for the slow speed junctions. Hopefully they will be included in the Brighton route.

6. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Iirc Matt said that it isn’t included because it’s simply a gimmick. Pretty ironic since the game is full of gimmicks.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Jetset-James

Jetset-James Member

Gimicky

It’s these gimmicks that are the difference between a game and a simulator. A train doesn’t leave without the GSM-R being set up by the driver.

Perhaps it’s a guise/excuse for not wanting to add it because it becomes too complex for them to build it. Increase the complexity, make the routes longer and simply charge more if it requires greater time investment.

There needs to be a standalone PC version/adaptation and console version that can take advantage of the hardware it’s being played on. Not one version that’s a one glove fits all product. Otherwise it’ll just remain what it is today. I want a fully immersive, busy and, critically, realistic simulator, not a 20 mile route that I can travel from end to end in 45 minutes.

I wonder how SimRail will compare. I can only hope that it’s more akin to an immersive simulator.

• Like Like x 4
  8. londonmidland

I believe this is one of the reasons why they don’t implement it. I mean why develop a realistic system which takes time when you can just make gimmicks which entitles the majority of your players?

Unfortunately the majority of TSW players are casual players, so they are more into ‘fun’ things as opposed to realistic functionality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Well with the current dispatcher and signalling, it'll just be like how it is in TS1 - a thing that you can push buttons on and occasionally goes 'beep' - which is just a gimmick only there to please ultra hardcore simmers. If they're going to implement a GSM-R unit, it'll need a lot more work and research to fully integrate it with the signalling system. I think they could only really consider fully functioning cab radios when they work out how to get the German Ebula system implemented.

Also, given many people who play this are 'casual' players who just want to move a train, would there be much point in implementing it if only a handful of people (relatively) are going to use it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

I would give my vote to an operating Ebula system - a big leap to HUD-less operation. It can be done - there are one or two mods on German sites - cant remember where.

• Like Like x 2
  11. rpeterbroughlowe

GSM-R is a key sub system on all western European rolling stock. In the UK, it is predominantly used for voice data, but it could be a fantastic interface for DTG to start looking into randomizing incidents that you have to react to. That's a major feature of driving - doesn't need to be a major incidents.

it would be a nice building block for DTG for ETCS in future!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

+1 for EBuLa, though the mods you are referring to are just static images, not an actual functioning computer display. It would still be nice if a static EBuLa screen was implemented at the minimum for each train using a similar per-route information system as is used by the newer PIS.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I think the new gradient HUD is a good step in this direction. While it doesn‘t have all of the information required for EBuLa, the fact that it is dynamically created could mean we‘re slowing approaching a point where a working EBuLa is in sight (through a telescope at least :D) or at least more probable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Would be good, but Tsw is an arcade game and dtg doesn't implement realistic features and functionalities into the game... They prefer adding things like the "livery designer" and "mastery"...

• Like Like x 3
  15. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Such as all the safety systems and signalling systems that its famously lacking. Like AWS, and PZB.

• Like Like x 5
  16. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

I agree. I would adore to see randomized events in the game. Of course, events that don't end the game, but create variety. Currently, you can play the same service knowing exactly what to expect. Wouldn't it be great to have to be alert to any differences that occur along the way.

• Like Like x 6
  17. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

I think the best way to do this would be with a sort of slider to determine frequency, as is the case in games such as American Truck Simulator. That way, randomized events would still be available for those who want them, and those who want no delays can avoid them.

• Like Like x 3
  18. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I honestly thought that when rush hour was announced, that randomized events would be a key part of it to give that busy, fast-paced and unpredictable experience. Hopefully sometime soon. But yes, I agree on a slider or turned off as default to be turned on if chosen by the player

• Like Like x 1
  19. helderbrincolas

And the ATC full of bugs on LIRR, you forgot that one( a route released in 2018 btw). And such as the 377/375/395 cctv cameras working, the in board computer full of features and functions, the buzzer of the guard, in board passengers announcements. complexity of cold start, Ebula on german trains...
    TSW has all this features and functions because is very immersive!

20. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

The lack of randomised events has now led me to uninstall TSW2 after investing in quite a bit of DLC hoping that they would come with rush hour. I get the vibe that we are not going to see anything like what you can get on Zusi 3. So I am done for now. If it changes then maybe I will return but I have MSFS now to get teeth into and a personal OpenRails project. I do wish DTG the best of luck with it. I may have hung around if the community could create DLC but alas no. I will call in to the forums to see if any change of direction has happened but I am now doubting it's anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Goodbye :(

• Like Like x 2
  22. helderbrincolas

I left tsw to that reason and some others. The dynamic is always the same and the type of gameplay, so it gets boring very quickly. I play now TS and it ways better do to dynamic events, dynamic weather etc... I just play a scenario with literally firework, because the scenario was simulating the US 4th of July. And people think that "rush hour" is gonna save the game ahahhaha, it's a good bundle, but the problems and issues will still be there and more bugs and glitches will come for DTG to solve them in the next two years

• Like Like x 1
  23. rpeterbroughlowe

Agreed.

The game has been out approaching 4 years and it's advancing in terms of functionality at a snails pace. All the low hanging fruit seems to have been plucked and now they're left with all the difficult stuff which is taking ages to implement. Whereas if they had a firm vision from the start, they could have developed in parallel (perhaps?) Just seems like DTG are just feeling their way rather than having clear goals from the outset they are striving towards.

Having a timetable working in the background and being in 1st person was a huge stride forward in IMO is far better from having 5 scripted scenarios, but there's been very little since in terms of putting the 'World' in TS 'World'

Maybe their goals are restricted by uncertainty of what is possible, or more accurately, what is possible within profitable margins and the self imposed boundaries (console parity & incredibly rigid business model)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  24. londonmidland

This is the thing. DTG still don't know who or what TSW is aimed for. Whether it wants to be a proper simulator or an arcade game. Right now we are stuck awkwardly in the middle of it. It offers some simulation aspects, but not all. Then there's also the topic of points and mastery, which is certainly an arcade-type feature.

Development of TSW has been super slow. The livery designer and scenario planner are pretty much still in beta stages. There's no advanced features, or even things like properly setting up your train or shutting it down in service mode.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Jetset-James

Jetset-James Member

DTG’s home page claims to be ‘creating authentic simulations’

Unfortunately they’re trying to create an ‘authentic simulator’ across many platforms. I know it’s perhaps unfair to compare, but Microsoft/Asobo built FS2020 on the PC and then branched out to consoles whereas DTG just want to sell a product that’ll please everyone on all platforms.

It’s just really sad that they continue to miss the mark when they hype up the new releases. The products are just rushed through, TSW is full of bugs that are never resolved. TS looks like it was built in the 1990s. It needs to be completely modernised to todays hardware and to take advantage of the latest technology, unfortunately it’s just a disheveled and rather dated product now. I remember the latest update with the Euston WCML, what an absolute disaster that was!

26. londonmidland

Ironically, despite its age, TS1 can look and feel a whole lot more realistic than TSW, thanks to third parties and the community.

TS1 also has the advantage of superior rendering, so shadows and other details don’t pop up right in front of you, like they do on TSW. That’s the disadvantage of creating content which has to work on slow and outdated hardware, such as the base consoles. It limits the potential.

TSW really needs a community to help it out, but DTG are so reluctant for any one other than themselves and the selected third parties to create content for it. Hence the snail pace development.

• Like Like x 1