Workshop Items Icon Mess

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Feb 20, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I've been subscribing to more than a few scenarios from the Steam Workshop, but when I go through loco selection in the Standard tab, I've got one to two dozen blanks and gaps.

Is this normal when you add scenarios?

I've done a file intergrity check, doesn't clean it up.

It's not as though they don't work - the blank to the right of the 27 is a Class 08 shunting scenario.

Or maybe scenarios are intended just to select from the list?

blanks.png

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. inversnecky

I took a screenshot properly this time, not just a Q&D pic of the screen with my phone :)

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

It's usually when you add scenarios that you don't have all the assets for. It puts an icon there, even if you don't have it. I've got some blanks too... I just figure they'll sort themselves out as and when I obtain that asset.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Same happened to me when I bought a new unit and I did not have the route for the scenarios.
    You will find in your Content/Routes folder some routes that only have Scenarios and no route.

5. inversnecky

Just noticed that no such ‘mess’ exists when I do this on my laptop, only on the PC. Strange....

6. Pookeyhead

Do you have all the same things installed on both?

7. Pookeyhead

Are you keeping your laptop and desktop in sync? Do you have all the same things on both machines?

All the blank icons I have are because routes have installed scenarios that require locos I do not have. Unless it's a DTG route, most 3rd party routes will install at least one scenario you are missing an asset for. No one has everything.

Same here....

20210221062359_1.jpg

I have both the DTG and AP class 150/1, and I have the AP 150/2 but here I have empty icons. It's because some routes installed scenarios that ask for a specific 150 with a specific reskin that I do not have most likely. I suppose tracking down the scenarios and swapping out the 150 for the equivalent AP version will sort it... but I'm not really that bothered.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  8. Pookeyhead

To demonstrate, take that 150/2 ATW Refurbished icon as an example. If I DO track down the scenario...
    20210221062754_1.jpg

I can see what it is looking for... which is a Arriva Train Wales Refurbished livery class 150/2.

Checking in TS Tools....
    Screenshot 2021-02-21 06.38.32.jpg

...sure enough. there it is as a missing asset. The class 150/2 ATW using the discontinued DTG 150/2 which I do not have.

Swapped it out for the AP version which I DO have....

456745674567.jpg

Reload TS and now the offending icon has gone...

7878.jpg

Another way of course, is to just delete the scenario folder in question if you have no intention of ever running it... that will also fix the problem.

The fact is though, if you install 3rd party routes and locos, you WILL end up with scenarios you won't have a loco for, and this is what these blank icons are... my advice is to just ignore them, as for some of them, you may one day get that asset, and then you have another scenario to use. Scenario folders don't take up a lot of space, and doing what I just did above for every blank icon I have will take a depressingly long time... and even after doing that, the next time I install a 3rd party route that requires an asset I do not have, I'll have more blank icons again :)

You're chasing your tail if you go down this road.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  9. inversnecky

Apart from JT's SEML, which is only on the PC, yes.

10. inversnecky

Thanks for the replies. If it's just a matter of missing certain things, that's ok. I was just worried things had got "broken" somehow. The only scenarios I've got are through Steam (and Strathspey/Northern Lines), so it's just odd that the blanks aren't on the laptop. I gues it might sort itself out over time....

11. inversnecky

If the differences are on Steam subscribed scenarios, do I need to do somethingmore? Thought Steam took care of keeping all right and up to date?

12. Pookeyhead

It will keep items obtained from Steam in sync, but nothing else.