[poll] Would You Pay More If The Riesa - Dresden Branches Are Included?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jolojonasgames, Jul 22, 2021.

?
  1. No extra money

52 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. 0-2 euros

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. 2-5 euros

15 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. 5-7 euros

34 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. 7-10 euros

45 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. 10-12 euros

22 vote(s)
    11.0%
  7. 12-15 euros

13 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. More than 15 euros

17 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all,

In light of the recent announcement that the Meißen and Dresden-Flughafen branches are not to be included with BRD many, like me, expressed that they would rather see that route delayed in order to reinstate the branches. However on stream it was explained that was a decision up to the bean counters. Now extra development time means more costs, so doing that might require a price increase (definetely if it were up to the bean counters). So the question is simple, would you pay more if more time was invested into Riesa - Dresden to add the branches? Arternatively, howuch money would you pay fkr an extension with them? How much are the branches worth to you?

• Like Like x 3
  2. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

A spectacular, unique route like Dresden (with its branches) is clearly more valuable than another ordinary route.

• Like Like x 4
  3. jolojonasgames

Yes, that's totally the way I view it too. I really would rather have one great and unique feeling route than two more mediocre routes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. seatsea

seatsea Active Member

I understand that having consistent pricing probably sells better and helps set targets internally.

But I feel there probably comes a point where people would be willing to be pay a bit more for the difference in value for routes. Especially if they're regulars to the game. HMA compared to RRO for example. The later is a detailed route, but clearly the former is worth more with the length, number of stations and services etc...

A route with more branches is one that feels more alive, and more importantly that is fresh for longer. You have more to discover, and more reasons to play it.

When I first get a route I'll generally do a few scenarios, and then check out the different types of services, there's usually a few unusual ones sprinkled in. This is almost always multiplied by the amount of branches. Like ECW, there's empty stock moves to and from both destinations, there's the ghost Train, etc

So yes, I would pay more for routes with more branches. It's what I've always hoped TSW would have, lively networks.

• Like Like x 5
  5. jolojonasgames

There's a huge added value for me in having branches to explore and to be able to change ends on the end of those branches. I can spend hours doing that, and it does make it seem like a more 'full' experience to me. Those added hours of gameplay I get out of the route with branches are worth more money to me.

• Like Like x 4
  6. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

No extra money. They were announced as inlcuded, then DTG backpedalled and ALREADY increased the price.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

35-40 euros, i would want them that much maby more if i had to

8. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Right hold on, Dresden is currently €30, and you're talking €35/€40 more to get the branches back.

So you're willing to pay upwards of €65 just to get the branches back.

Ok I'm certain you're just trolling now.

• Like Like x 3
  9. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

I'd be prepared to pay more. However, I would only be prepared to pay more after seeing the preview of the route. I suppose it would be risky if the additional cost didn't seem consistent with the additional content provided.

10. Hidden Donkey

its twice the route so twuice the price, it is an option in the poll 'more than 15 euros'

11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m willing to pay more if the content is complete, accurate and free of as many ‘obvious’ bugs as possible.

British Airways once did some research into business customers on Concorde. BA was losing money and when it asked the business customers how much they thought they were paying (as payment was often managed by their secretaries etc) pretty much everyone thought they were paying significantly more to fly Concorde than they were paying, so BA upped the price to match what they thought they were already paying.

Of course, this isn’t the same thing, but has DTG ever asked what we’d be prepared to pay? How did it decide on the £24.99 price point? How much extra development time would DLC at £29.99, or £34.99 or £39.99 buy? How much is the community willing to spend?

Model trains are quite expensive and I’d argue playing with trains in TSW is much more fun.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

But for that money, they would seriously need to up their game. Not willing to pay that for the broken bug messed routes we're getting now.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Oh definitely. The extra time has to be spent near perfecting what we get. I don’t expect an entirely bug free product, but I’d expect fewer issues and for issues to be rectified much more quickly.

• Like Like x 4
  14. trainsimplayer

It's not twice the route.
    It is in terms of variety.
    But not in length.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jolojonasgames

and thus not in developement time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I like to have 'everything' and so a "huge" route/set of routes is worth the extra money.
    If I hadn't bought TSW2020 and NEC was completely new, then I think £44.99 for 3 new routes and ? locos (Rush Hour Pass) would be a good price.

• Like Like x 2
  17. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I responded to the poll not because I'm interested in German routes, but I took it as a route question in general. I would pay more for more complex routes. A simple one like IoT is probably worth less than the retail prices, a complex one like Sand Patch is probably worth more.

It is a good question you've asked, I'll be interested in the results.

Paul

• Like Like x 3
  18. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Considering I am in Canada I have no clue to conversion rates, I would be willing to pay more if it meant a better complex route. For the Dresden route if it meant it would cost a little more to have the branches lines put back in. I would be happy to pay for the extra development time.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Hidden Donkey

exactly twice the content
    having a diffrent opinion is not trolling, i dont call you a troll for having a opinion

20. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

No more money. DTG should be confident that, considering the demand for a route of this nature, increased unit sales will more than justify the extra work involved to create the route. Besides, prices upwards of £30 might suit fans of TSW but casual/new gamers may be put off by those quantity v's cost ratios. The other thing is that as a console gamer I know I can dabble in the physical copy market and pick up a solid AAA game for around £30-£40 - and with money being as tight as it is for a lot of gamers (myself included) at the moment they will always look towards the product that represents the best value for money.

• Like Like x 1
  21. trainsimplayer

I doubt when it came to it you'd be willing to pay the price for a whole new route just for something we were practically promised before now.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

The price has already been increased of 10€ so no I dont want another increase enough is enough.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Hidden Donkey

i buy what i wnt and i would want it so i would buy it i own all german stuff and not promised never seen that word be used for this route by dtg so not promised

24. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

all branch line i very like

• Like Like x 1
  25. trainsimplayer

Ok, so tell me this isn't near enough promising;
    • Putting it in the FAQ
    • "Hyping it up" on streams as the potential "best route yet"
    • Articles showing it as part of a timetable
    • Being on a steam page (Thanks to rules that's practically a promise)

• Like Like x 8
  26. jolojonasgames

Well, with it being on the steam store page (where no uncertain or false information is allowed, because marketing rules etc.) I would say it was actually promised in writing, jut not using the literal word.

• Like Like x 5
  27. trainsimplayer

I didn't actually think about that. Yeah I suppose it is.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Are there any documents on this on steam?

29. jolojonasgames

As steam store descriptions are product descriptions (and thus part of marketing) you aren't allowed to put false information in there, as that would mean that you're falsely advertising features that aren't included.

However, as the item was not for sale, I don't think the rule applies that strictly here. I have no clue on steam's own rules, just some knowledge on the basic laws regarding advertisement as I once had to do a school project on them. I believe that as long as at the moment of purchase, the description is accurate, it isn't really a problem.

• Like Like x 5
  30. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the thing that might have them covered here. I think a bunch of games changed scope before you can buy them. As soon as you could buy it, that's probably where the situation would change.

• Like Like x 1
  31. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay extra money for something that should have been included in the first place in order to make a decent product.
    Alas it would at least make me think about purchasing the route so compared to the current situation it might be about 20€ more...

But I think we all know it's not going to happen anyway.

32. conniethunder

There is no 'contract' until you have paid for the product.

33. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Yeah, but in many countries it is forbidden because it can be used to stop your competition from developing the same thing thinking they can't match your product or prices. This is usually referred to as vaporware.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  34. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Some companies online have been forced to honour their first 'advertised' price when they changed it soon afterwards but then I reckon the actual 'law' is a minefield.

• Like Like x 2
  35. thatleedsguy#8590

thatleedsguy#8590 Active Member

No matter what I say, someone will be upset, so...
    I'd say pay more. 5 euros more at the most? About £4.20 more?

Everyone values things differently.

• Like Like x 2
  36. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think you're not talking business reality into account. Software development takes developer hours. Developers have to be paid.

• Like Like x 4
  37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They can’t charge more money for it, as it is part of a bundle as well as an individual route. Adding more to the already more costly bundle price is not going to go down well with the people buying the bundle for the UK and US routes, so that’s not happening. If they only add extra cost to the individual route price then it becomes closer to the bundle price and people will just buy the bundle and there is no extra money for development. 37 people so far have voted for a price increase that puts the route price equal to or above that of the bundle it is part of. How is that going to work?

So, basically, whatever it may be worth for any individual player, they can’t add anything to the price.

• Like Like x 1
  38. FeralKitty

I don't think that the bundle price is costly, even with, say, an additional $5 increase.
    • $45 for 3 routes that cost $30 each is still a savings of 50%.
    • $45 for 2 (UK and US) routes that cost $30 each is still a savings of 25%. (Customers don't have to install the Dresden route if they don't want it.)
    DTG can make it work however they want if they appreciate that people will pay more for a better route. (Who wouldn't want a better route in general?)

39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

If, hypothetically, DTG were to "give in" and agree to add the two branches to Dresden, it would likely take several months of extra development time. So, Boston Sprinter and London Commuter are released in August/September and Dresden comes out around Christmas. How can there be a 3 route bundle with such a gap? And how will the bundle be priced? There would have to be a 2 route bundle at $39.99 and Dresden separately at, say, $39.99. That would blow a cannonball sized hole through the marketing plan for the Rush Hour bundle. The 2 route bundle would still be a bargain for many, including me, but the whole notion of Rush Hour would collapse. I can't see this scenario happening.

• Like Like x 2
  40. thatleedsguy#8590

Being fair, a gap doesn't necessarily matter when you offer something similar to a Season Pass. You'd be entitled to all 3 if you paid the price of the Season Ticket, no matter what time they release. DTG have your money and are contractually obligated to give you what you're entitled to for said money.

There isn't a bundle anymore. It's now going to be a Season Ticket which is a hybrid of a season pass and a bundle. The routes will be released at separate times. If you bought the Season Ticket, you're able to download the route as it comes out.

Even if it took until Christmas to get Dresden up to what was promised before, I doubt anyone would mind this gap. At least we'd know DTG were on the case and would deliver.

• Like Like x 4
  41. FeralKitty

Despite it still being a bargain, I don't see how DTG could remove a route, yet still justify the $40 price. I suspect there'd be more criticism than what we've seen over the Dresden branches having been removed.
    Plenty of other games have done passes with content that has taken longer than 4 months to be released.

• Like Like x 2
  42. FeralKitty

Yes! I think many people wouldn't mind waiting for something much better. (Apologies to anyone who would prefer a branchless Dresden with no delay.)

• Like Like x 2
  43. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

And, if the bundle price were to be Increased again to pay for the Dresden revamp, what might that price be? And would people be willing to pay yet another increase, especially those who are not so enthused about the extra branches or German content in general? It gets very complicated. The whole Summer plan would have to be scrapped. I simply don't see it happening.

We need a definitive statement from DTG to end this debate.

44. thatleedsguy#8590

Well, delays are the only way to get Dresden done at this point. I'm not even interested in German content, but I get why the community is discussing this for hours on end. If you really want to know my honest intentions as far as RH goes...BML is the only thing I'll be putting down money for. That is to say, BML is the only aspect of RH I'm interested in.

If it were to be increased then...so be it? The cost of each route is £25. If you bought Boston and Brighton, you'd be paying a total of £50.
    Versus, for the sake of argument, £40 for the bundle. You might as well get the bundle if you want 2 of the 3 to save that £10.

I also explained why the first price increase we saw makes logical sense.

But as someone explained earlier, to see another price increase is very unlikely.

The idea of all 3 coming out at once was scrapped, as was the original price tag. I don't see why scrapping the Summer plan would be a tragedy.

Release Boston and Brighton on time.
    Delay Dresden until it's fully realised.

• Like Like x 4
  45. FeralKitty

Why would DTG want to end this feedback/discussion? I thought they prefer hearing what people have to say.

• Like Like x 4
  46. thatleedsguy#8590

I think they were referring to a statement to say they will or will not delay Dresden to work on it.

• Like Like x 4
  47. 1003523721

1003523721 Member

Pay more for a thing that was promised before is ridiculous:mad:. If the branch line was not contained when the Rush Hour first announced, I may willing to pay more

48. conniethunder

Like I've mentioned, if you consider NEC a 'freebie' because we never got it as part of the preserved bundle from TSW2020, then it adjusts the pricing for 2 new routes and several locos.
    It is still a cheap deal and is why I would pay more to wait for a better German route.
    ...and so what if Epic buyers get the game for free. How many times have you bought a game to find it discounted or even free 12 months later? It's just life and the world we live in :)

• Like Like x 1
  49. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Agreed. We don’t want a Hamburg - Lubeck 2.0

• Like Like x 3
  50. FeralKitty

But Boston/Providence is a different part of the route than New York.

• Like Like x 1