X

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by PomPomCookie, Sep 2, 2018.

?

Would you buy this route for TSW?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2021.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. PomPomCookie

PomPomCookie Member

x

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I have TS not TSW but the interest is obviously there and one day a route is going to come out which will break down my resistance and start me saving so I do have an interest in the route proposals. Not this one though- I've just voted no but I think it's only fair to say why.

I was raised in Stourbridge and have fond memories of "the Dodger". It goes past my old secondary school and I rode it several times once in the cab with my dad and an obliging driver when we were the only passengers- imagine that these days. It is an interesting line in spite of being recorded as the shortest branch in Britain. It used to carry on past the town station to a canal basin at least for freight- the line was double track but seems to have been operated as two single lines with one for passenger and one for goods. Historically it has been used to test new systems like GWR autocoaches and railcars and now the PPMs (although they're been running for what- a decade now? Is that still a test?) and has been the scene of some notable accidents it being pretty steep. I well remember going to see the result when a Class 121 IIRC tried to carry on past the station to the canal basing in spite of it no longer being there. Neither was the bridge it needed to cross so it came to a stop with almost its front half teetering on the old abutment and its leading bogie in the road below.

From that you'd gather I'd love to see it in TS or TSW (though preferably TS because I'm a long way from buying a new system) but as part of a DLC running from, say, Worcester to Birmingham though that's still a bit short. Dad worked in Birmingham and we took the train to New Street much more often than the Dodger in fact. As you mention yourself the Stourbridge Town line is a three minute hop in a vehicle with a top speed of 20mph and no other traffic. It'd wear thin pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JJTimothy

Glad you took my comment as it was meant. The area could be the basis of a nice network DLC like my current favourite in TS the Weardale and Teesdale (where I live now incidentally not that I'm easily led)- branches could even include the Severn Valley at Kidder'. Yeah- probably not. I read that trains from Stourbridge run into Snow Hill now (which was closed when I lived there) rather than New Street. I can't remember what class of DMU's served the line in the '70s- they were compartmented slam-door cattle trucks but of course I loved riding them anyway and always tried to get the seat behind the driver.

Look what I found:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/7755281968/

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJTimothy

I went for a ride on the Weardale Railway a couple of weekends ago in a Class 122 now resplendent in green. It was the first time I've ridden in a Bubblecar since I rode the Dodger 40+ years ago but it wasn't just any Class 122- the one in the photograph survived that crash, went into preservation and is now owned by a chap who keeps and drives it on the Weardale Railway! It almost makes me wish I was one to note down numbers- I'd love know if I'd ridden it then.

I know this adds absolutely nothing to the discussion BTW but I find it interesting.

5. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

While the class 139 is, as Vicky says, "the cutest train I've ever seen," I think this route is a bit short. Unique rolling stock or not, the entire route is less than a mile long, takes three minutes to traverse, and only has two stations. I don't think I'd pay for it, even at a low price.

6. cosmo

cosmo Active Member

I reckon this could work as an extension of the Birmingham Snow Hill - Worcester line via Kidderminster (about 1 hour journey), since the only passenger trains on the line are class 172s (and possibly 168s, I'm not clued up on my southern rail routes!), it would add variety for sure to be able to run the little PPMs as a portion of the whole route :)