Introducing Mastery For Train Sim World

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Are you logged in to DTL in TSW?

2. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Mastery looks like nice feature but it don't work for me!
    No data tracked to DTGLive, and game don't remember my login, so I have to login manualy every time I reboot game.
    PC version, and I own only MSB from now supported routes.

Hope this initial problems will be fixed soon...

3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im just going to forget it exists as a feature, maybe check back in a few weeks, see If anythings being counted.
    Might have found the fix...... see ps4 bugs section

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

I think it's clear from my posts that this is, indeed, my default position on most issues. If even I think this is a waste of time, that should tell you something.

But not literally at the same time, unless they're typing on two keyboards at once like Rimmer taking the Holoship exam.

5. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Note for consoles. Got it working!
    On your dovetail live profile accessed via phone or pc laptop. Click on your profile name in the top right corner. Then select the console that you are using. It will then prompt you to sign into xbox live or psn. Complete that step and you should be fine.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There's more than one team (and person per team) in DTG so yes, they can literally be working on many things at the same time
    It does seem that the "front end team" has been the most prolific in outputting new content though given we've had a front end overhaul in TSW2020 in September and now a minor update to this in the "Mastery" update

Nothing much from the route making or bugfixing teams obviously

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Hi Rob39!

I try this after first tutorial gameplay that hasn't been tracked. Done one more and three services since then (185.2/145.2/Dosto) but I'm still on zero.

8. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Youre connected on ps4 and your dtl account is the same with ps4 linked, for this you need to sign in with psn password on dtl site. You did this?

9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Could do with a console and newcomer step by step in the live article section.

10. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're working on more unfinished and broken products to rush out to sale. Or they're working on other gimmicks like this in a vain attempt to pacify people who keep asking about an editor.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You think the people who work on the front end are the same people who work on the editor???
    Personally I doubt that very very very much

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dougal

Dougal Member

Since the new up date Mastery on PS4 is anyone using the time table find in NTP that if you use the map with the controller or through the pause menu that the game locks?

13. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Hi Dmitri, I’m on PS4. I’ve just started TSW again to see the Mastery screen at startup and they are still showing as zero completed as reported last night. My DTL account is linked to my PS4 too so I’m confused as to the issue. I don’t want to do more challenges until it’s sorted as it’ll be a waste of time.

14. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

May I ask you to re-connect your account? If you don't know how, let me check that on our PS4... will respond come back to you shortly.

15. TrainSim-Dmitri

Ok, on your PS4 please go to Settings (keep pressing R1 until you reach the gears icon). At the bottom of the menu, what do you see? Does it say 'Logout of Dovetail Live' or 'Reenable Dovetail Live'?

If the former, then please log out of your account, restart the game and log in again to see if that works.

If you see 're-enable', then press triangle and follow the instructions.

Let me know if that helps!

16. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I've been playing GTA Online for 5 years and I'm Level 101, but I'm still absolutely rubbish at it. Levels don't mean anything. If it was like a rating that is constantly changing with how you drive (like the Sportsmanship and Driver ratings in Gran Turismo Sport) it would work. But it doesn't do that, so I need to make a new game just to get a background for a menu.

17. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I was already logged in to DTL so logged out, restarted the game then logged back in but it’s still not showing. I’m going to try another HST service to hopefully activate the 120mph challenge as well as 1/10 services. I’ll keep you updated.

18. TrainSim-Dmitri

Try restarting the game again after re-logging?

19. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Sorry I should have explained better, I did restart the game.

20. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

So do I. Personally, I don't think anybody's gonna get an editor at all with this game. At least, not one like in TS.

21. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

So, I’ve just done a HST service Reading to Paddington and neither the 120mph challenge or the first of 10 service challenge record. So there’s some issue going on which is causing my progress not to record via Mastery.

• Like Like x 1
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

When I first got TSW2020 I did the tutorials first direct from each route's menu as starting off with tutorials is always a good idea. Then later when I went into Journey mode I found that in order to get a green tick on the tutorials there I had to do them again through Journey Mode (the same as any scenarios or timetabled services I'd already completed). Now I have to do some again to get the ticks in Mastery. I'm going to be all tutorialled out. These features may be all well and good but they aren't integrated very well.

• Like Like x 9
  23. Sgtpanda

Sgtpanda New Member

My game also isn't counting progress towards the Class 45 levels in Northern Transpennine

24. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Is it counting towards everything else?
    Your gamer tag might have gone up a level but the individual trains are another seperate score.

25. Sgtpanda

Sgtpanda New Member

I did a tutorial, that counted, the service completion counted as 1/10, but after completing the service my Class 45 specifically went from 5 to 6, it didn't register anything.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I've just done a 125mph run from Paddington to Reading, logged out, logged in, done another 125mph run from Paddington to Reading, still nothing GWE showing. Weirdly, in the recent sessions, it's registered that I did an NEC freight route and two MSBs, but nothing since, and I've done RRO and GWE services since then!

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 20.17.11.png Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 20.17.37.png

27. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Seems like I'm having more troubles with Mastery: I just finished my first one on GWE - or so I thought. Took an HST from Paddington to reading, which should have ticked the challenge to reach 120 mph, as well as one out of the 10 services.

However it did neither. Mastery remains recognizing nothing as fulfilled.

Talking about PC btw.

28. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

The 120mph challenge don't work for me neither, nor does the one for doing 10 services. This is annoying. I'm just gonna take a break from the game until this gets fixed. Really baffled how this got past QA.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'm actually a bit embarrassed for DTG on this one. It seems to be a failure looking through these messages. I can only hope some lessons will be learnt.

30. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have not had any issues with Mastery so far, I did the 120 challenge this morning and it took with no issues. Have completed a few others and everything counting towards what is done.

31. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Did a couple of 166 services on GWE earlier today and just switched on to see and mastery does appear to be registering the two services. On Xbox.

32. Factor41

It's an odd one, isn't it? I mean, there are normally glitches here and there on DLC releases, but this is quite a high proportion of the feature not working properly. It would be interesting to know where this has gone wrong - someone must have signed off on it for the announcement and release, so did something change? Is it a server capacity issue since it launched to the full userbase? Maybe the game team need to have a good sit down with the web team to chat this one through!

I'm on PS4 and the 120mph and 10 services are still on zero (I've done 2x Class 43 services sitting at 125mph for most of the way). Just got the 1/1 for doing a tutorial again, though, so some of it's getting through!

33. Factor41

So I just did the M7 and Class 166 tutorials, and both have dropped in to my stats page, along with the relevant 1/1 completed mastery items. Then I did ANOTHER 125mph run in the Class 43 and again, nothing. It's like that particular train isn't being tracked at all on PS4. The sessions aren't showing in the Recent list, it's not added the 100+ miles I've done in it today, and it's not ticking any mastery boxes.

My RRO service from last night is also not showing - I know there's not mastery applied to that route yet, but if NEC is on the chart without mastery, surely, they all should be? Weirdly, NEC is showing on the Most Popular Route chart, but hasn't triggered a bar on the Locos chart for the 38. Definitely some patchy communication going on between TSW and DTL!

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 23.16.13.png

Edit: Just did two tiny services on WSR, one in each loco. The route and the Class 47 are showing on the graphs, but the Class 09 isn't. Even more weirdly, the Minehead_RunAroundX2 is showing in the recent activities, and the WSR slice of the Popular Route pie has grown with it, but the Class 09 that I used for it hasn't dropped into the menu, even though I did more distance than I had in the 47. Curiouser and curiouser!

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 23.39.02.png

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  34. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Yeah loco specific issue it seems. Same with me

• Like Like x 2
  35. thearkerportian

That poor pacer. Rest in peace. Or in pieces rather?

Also, where you got that pacer from? :P

• Like Like x 1
  36. Factor41

:D 43! Would have struggled with 25mph in a 143!

37. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It is not a big feature, consider it as achievements with a small reward. At least the rewards are more interesting than the rewords for the challenge and you may feel you are in control to earn it by yourself. If you do not like it, just do not couple your DTG Live account to the game and it will not bother you.

It think the criticism on the priority for DTG is not justified. The feature is mainly developed by the web development team (Matt said this in the dev stream), so it goes at the expense of the DTG website much more that at the expenses of the content and core dev teams. I see no reason not to believe this. For 90% it is based on game usage data that already is available.

So, not a big deal but another thing you can do if choose to do so.

Still, the real thing we need is the content editor. But, reading the discussion on the Dielsel loce for MSB and Matts replies, I think developing good content, especially rolling stock will require significantly more skills that for TSxxxx. Though I still see possibilities for routes and scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

This excuse is smoke and mirrors I'm afraid. It's still a labour resource that costs money. If there's a web development team that has time to do things that nobody wants and the core development team are struggling to keep up, then clearly there needs to be a restructuring of the workforce.

From what I can gather, DTG have employed contractors (not cheap) to develop mastery. From my perspective, wouldn't it have been better to employ more assistance for the core development team to sort out the things that people do want? This is clearly a management decision by DTG to prioritise this function over other things like fixing bugs.

• Like Like x 3
  39. thearkerportian

Well the website guys would have other things to do as well. For example taking care of the forum so that down and "useful" votes aren't displayed at a full 1080px in the activity feed.

Even more, for focusing on releasing new content instead of fixing older content, I can at least see why they are doing it. We all need money after all. But the web team.. not so sure.

40. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Indeed. And yet the focus has been on mastery. This is not a department level choice. It's come from a level or levels above that. A decision has been made to put additional labour resources into it.

DTG aren't stupid. They are investing in something because they think it will eventually pay off with increased revenue. Perhaps it will evolve into something to be monetised in the future.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  41. TinTin_57

The whole thing is not right. One development today is that the stats tab has now dragged through my level from the main TSW profile (323) but most used loco shows as 185.2. It lies to itself though because as you see here below, if it is basing that on the graph then 185.2 is my least used.

In TSW itself my most used loco is actually the BR422 so hard to know really what is going on. Also 2 more 166 services run today that don't show up in Mastery for GWE.
    Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 13.16.08.png

• Like Like x 2
  42. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Today's headline: TOY BOX SET DEEPLY UPSET.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Factor41

OK, there's something really fundamentally wrong with whatever's going on on the DTL website and the tracking for this feature. Even putting aside the seemingly random ability to pass data from certain trains or routes (HST passing nothing, M7 passing tutorials, but not services, etc), the data showing on the website is inconsistent even with itself. Is there some sort of issue with the identifiers being used for the trains and/or routes?

WTAF.jpg

Also, my player level crept its way up to 4, then I did the Class 52 Introduction tutorial, and it's dropped back to 1 (in game level is 115). Please tell me someone's working on this!

Final observation, how about upping the limit on the Most Popular Locos/Routes graphs. Top 20 most popular locos would be a far more pleasing graph to look at (or at least it will when this all works)!

Edit: Just did a long route on NTP, which is now showing as a huge percentage of route usage, the mileage has increased, but... no sign of the Class 45! My Player Level has been brought in correctly though, so that's some progress.

Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 20.40.24.png

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  44. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

You must have been shocking at driving the 52 lol. Yes there is something majorly wrong with tracking on this feature. Id be interested to hear from the 1st or see if anybody manages to get to tier 2.

• Like Like x 1
  45. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I unlocked Tier 1 on GWE. On Tier 2 I unlocked the task with the 5 scenarios. Than ran some HST services but the 250 miles task doesn't count animore. The HST upleveling task and the GWE route up leveling task seems not counting anymore too.
    Thank you for your help in advance.

46. Factor41

Which platform are you running on? I've never had a single HST service count towards mastery on PS4.

• Like Like x 1
  47. thearkerportian

Me not either, on PC.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. TinTin_57

I’m on PS4. Had HST record them no problem, 166 doesn’t

49. thearkerportian

So basically its something else for everybody that doesn't work... wouldn't wanna be the guy who has to find out what's wrong. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

PS4

• Helpful Helpful x 1