Driving With No Hud

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amt976, Dec 1, 2019.

1. amt976

amt976 New Member

Hi All,

Is there any way to drive with no HUD aids?

I can understand a bit signals but I struggle to see how far I am from stations by looking at them, therefore I need to revert to HUD, even if I find it not so realistic.

Any help?

PS I'm running german scenarios now.

2. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

If I recall it is the F3 and F4 buttons that control the on-off and min-max hud.

3. amt976

amt976 New Member

tks, however I would like to know if you can drive with no HUD aids, especially how can you know how far you are from stations without looking at HUD?

4. DeanO55

DeanO55 Member

To drive with no hud aids turn it off.
    To know where you are you must learn the route as a real driver has to do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. amt976

amt976 New Member

6. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

ThirdRails is ideal for HUD less driving and route learning. Know your whereabouts.

https://thirdrails.org

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

Well ThirdRails actualy supports use of OpenRailwayMap Speed and signal layers.
    You can use them to forsee upcoming speed changes along the line. These are not available in all areas, although speed is pretty common.

As alternative you can place your own POI's down the route for junctions, descents, places of interest etc. , which will support you to learn the route.

9. Wolf

Wolf Member

BeenTrain The difference is that on certain loco addons like those from Virtual Railroads you can actually show a version of that Buchfahrplan on the correct screen of the locomotive ingame.
    Look at the screenshots here: https://rail-sim.de/forum/wsif/index.php/Entry/4632-EBuLa-Fahrpläne-für-Münster-Bremen/#description

Also there are the PTG Rail route Learner videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcKw2-yDQBfYxVBrrRwVY2g/playlists

amt976 on some of the more advanced Steam locos driving without the F4 huds is a must and some of the older ones profit from it as well. In that case press F5 to show the "F5 Hud" and again to show it fully.
    That one is kinda necessary for some of the older kettles where not all the indicators work, like the boiler pressure one, or in some cases the water glass.

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

How do you drive without the HUD? Route learning
    In other words you drive WITH the driving aids in place but make notes on landmarks and specific junctions so you can find out where you are by keeping track of them
    When you can drive and know where you are by looking at your surroundings, signal numbers etc etc then you can drive without the aid of the HUD. Then cut your notes down and repeat

A lot of the learning a driver undergoes isn't about the trains and how to get them moving or stopping, but route knowledge and being able to know where they are at any time, along with stopping points in various conditions and even where over and under bridges are in case they need to stop to offload in an emergency

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wolf

Wolf Member

ARuscoe True, and on a kettle you also need to know when to fire and how much, so that you have enough steam going up a hill and are not constantly blowing off going down a hill. Or get in trouble with Blowback in the tunnels.
    Although IRL that is the fireman's job.

And given the lack of brightness of british steam era, as well as BR Green and early Br Blue headlamps, you really need to know the route to drive at night......

12. Broomwagon

Broomwagon Member

I use trackIR and keys only as I find it makes TS hugely more immersive. I rarely use HUD at all - only the occasional F3 if running a tricky scenario. Not using HUD makes TS so much better - but it does require you to learn the line, not a problem for me as I tend to build and run my own freeroam scenarios most of the time, running the whole line layout style for weeks or months at a time. HUD just becomes irrelevant because you get to know the line you're operating so well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Greetings!

I see you're trying to learn to drive German trains without HUD! Good choice! Here are a few tips to make your life easier:

1. Observe Kilometer Posts. Make notes of what station is at what kilometer post.
    2. Learn Trackside signalling. You may search in the forum for my posts, I have countless guides up for German signalling.
    2b. In particular look out for speed boards. Speed reductions in Germany are almost always announced by Lf6's.
    3. Drive with PZB/LZB/SiFa, this will help you with stopping at signals and also keep you on your toes.
    3b. In particular pay attention to procedures related to potential trouble along the way. Driving left, for instance, can be very challenging.
    4. Learn the braking / acceleration performance of your train. The general guideline that a train at 160kph needs ~1.5-2km to stop with very strong brake force application. When driving faster then 160kph, LZB will tell you in advance how to brake.
    4b. Some trains have AfB, use that to your advantage too. The general guideline is that when your line speed is >40kph, AfB is permitted.
    5. Learn the cab layout, and use all instruments to your advantage. You can all the information of the HUD and much more from dashboard instruments. Use the instrument lights if needed.

Should you require help with any of the mentioned steps, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
    Prof.

• Like Like x 2
  14. amt976

amt976 New Member

tks Prof! highly appreciated feedback!

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The ideas by ProfCreeptonius are ok for German and Austrian routes but don't apply as much for other countries

When I get a new route I use the Quick Drive to explore the system as it gives you a clear run between two locations and no points lost.
    As you get used to the routes you will be able to run with the F3 HUD turned off

On real German and Austrian trains they are unable to drive without a Buchfahrplan as they don't know the route like UK Drivers

Peter