Rapid Transit Trophies

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Poppa, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Poppa

Poppa Member

After Synthetic Angel posted the workaround for failed trophies I had a small measure of success. Unfortunately, I'm back in the holding area and posting to see if someone knows another workaround.

First I tried to get the Safety First trophy. I started with 10 services with the network on and no luck. Created a new profile and did 10 services with the network off and no luck.
    Created a new profile and did 10 services, network off, and only responded to the SIFA audible alarm (I had been responding to the initial visual light) - no luck
    Created a new profile and did 10 services, network off, and I only responded to the SIFA audible alarm by pressing the foot pedal - no luck.
    Then I got really dumb. The trophy says I can use Rapid Transit or Mani Spessart Bahn to get the trophy. Of course with a new profile and network off I did 10 services and no luck.
    So I gave up on Safety First and figured I'd do German Legend where you complete all the services for Rapid Transit. After a few weeks of driving, no luck.

So either these are officially not working or someone knows a secret that might help.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. They did work, and I did get those. Then for RT the 182 was added and I believe the services for that engine ALSO then needed to be done to get the trophy. I managed to finish it before the dlc but others has mentioned it. Do you have the 182? If you haven’t then I’m not sure how you would get the complete all services on RT. It’s a bit naughty really, the trophy requirement shouldn’t include dlc locos that weren’t present at the start

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poppa

Poppa Member

Tin Tin 57,

Thanks, while the message is not a happy one at least I have an explanation and a tough path forward. i do appreciate the information.

I did not have the 182 DLC for RT but it looks like I'm stuck buying it. I'm assuming this just fixes the services trophy and the SIFA one is just broken.

There is so much I like about this game that when the trophies don't work it takes a piece out of you.

4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

The only silver lining here is that the 182 is an excellent loco and driving it on RT is a much better experience than the loco RT comes with.

5. chris_jwnr

chris_jwnr New Member

I’m also due ‘German Legend’ but for some reason its not popped. Ticket raised.

6. sam6190

sam6190 New Member

Hey! So I can confirm with TinTin’s message that the 32 services with the DB BR 182 AND the 31 services with the DB BR 767.2 (the cab car also included in that DLC) are what I needed to do to unlock German Legend.

The Sifa one popped eventually for me just playing all the services with my network permanently off. Eventually it just happened, long after it should have done and for the record I was usually acknowledging it with the circle button after the audible alarm kicked in. Best of luck if you’re persisting with it!

• Like Like x 2
  7. rainbirds

rainbirds Member

I got the german legend after having reached 127 services at rapid transit on 23/12 so the trophy works.

8. Poppa

Poppa Member

You know I've stopped playing this for a while. Putting in hours of time and then the trophies do not get awarded is really disappointing.

Armed with the knowledge above I thought I'd try again. I had already completed all the services for the DB BR 182. I then chunked through all the services for the DB BR 767.2 ... all done with the network not connected. ..... main screen shows 127 / 127 services but of course no trophy for me. I dread having to repeat 127 services to attempt tp get the trophy.

I see the sales pop up once a week in my e-mail but because I'm so disappointed I have no desire to purchase any new routes or engines. So for now I'm moving to different games and that's a real shame because I really enjoy playing this one.

Einstein said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

I'd prefer not to validate that statement.

9. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

There is another possibility you could try, with any trophy that requires you to complete a set of "services". I think that with these trophies, that you must do the services from the services tab.

So... if any of those services are also under "Training" or "Scenarios" or "Journey".... then you might need to do (just) those ones again - so maybe you could repeat five or six services already done under "Scenarios" ....?

Not guaranteed to work... but this has worked for me in a past life.... ;-)

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you really enjoy playing it then carry on doing so, and get the new routes you like the look of. Trophies actually mean totally nothing. The only thing I can think of is bragging rights, which is not an important thing in life. It’s not like you get anything for them. To stop playing because you don’t get a trophy is as pointless as the trophies themselves. Just enjoy driving the trains.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Plastic Pal

I understand this perspective (and frankly, this is also my view, generally), however....

1. A large number of people do enjoy the "personal progress" element to getting trophies, which is an area that is lacking in TSW (due to all other progress tracking systems also being broken..... ;-O )
    2. Every time a trophy is awarded it creates an advert that is sent to the player's friends, encouraging them to buy TSW, so if the trophy doesn't work then the marketing opportunity is lost
    3. The failure to implement trophies properly is like the very dead canary in the mine - it is a very clear symptom that points to a lack of care with asset management, coding, netcoding, and testing

But the first point is the most important - very many people enjoy getting trophies. Particularly children. And for me this is the key reason to get it to work - TSW is a really good, safe, educational and downright exciting game for children to play, but when a promised trophy doesn't arrive (that they have "worked" towards).... then they get very upset... and then the parents will not be buyng further DLC which would create further diappointment.... and then TSW gets replaced with a shooting game. I'd rather kids get inspired by trains, rather than guns.

As an adult (and I promise you that I am over 18.... LOL), I actually feel disappointed when a trophy doesn't arrive. I do use global trophy information, out of interest (you can gauge popularity of DLC, and overall player retention) ....so I'd prefer it all to work. And a trophy popping up can be a welcome smile moment as well, especially if you weren't expecting to get it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I forgot about children. I often forget that not everybody is 50 years old like me.

13. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Or like 51 like I am

14. Poppa

Poppa Member

One of the things I love about this world is the diversity. To hear different opinions allows me to view things from a differet perspective and that can be fun.

As a hint, I worked for Contail in 1970. My bragging rights days are so far back in the rear view mirror that I'd need a honkin' big telephoto lens just to see the blur. At my age, the trophies are for personal accomplishment and to help me remember what I've done (getting old can have it's challenges).

I can't imagine this question has not been asked somewhere else in the forums. How hard would it be to add a few lines of code that would check the users dashboard. When the user selects a route and a power unit, the code would look at the trophies, lookat the tasks completed by the user, see if a trophy was issued, and if not issue the trophy. I work with SQL code and I could do it in a few lines.

So I will still run the occasional route from time to time but I'm not going to spend the hours and hours I did before. And my excitement for new routes has been ripped out of me, thrown into the street and run over by 18 wheelers.

I really hope the IT guys understand that new routes are nice but if the game advertises trophies and they don't work then it might impact their user base.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Plastic Pal

It wouldn't be hard. And I think that this sort of thing has been rolled out in the past, for some individual trophies, so that users that qualified got their earned trophy immediately after installing the patch.

But... what is really needed first of all is a detailed (but quick) review of all trophies, to sense check that the trigger conditions are actually sensible or realistic. So, for example.... maybe trophies involving "services" were coded before the "Journey" concept was rolled out, but when the Journey feature came... maybe the trophy code wasn't updated, so it didn't interact with the "service count" used by the trophies.

An intermediate step, which might save time and help identify the dodgy trophies, would be to roll out a stats page reporting progress for each trophy - and if users find that this reports different results from the other parts of the UI, then you'd pinpoint the dodgy ones really quickly. This would be a fabulous feature in its own right... although maybe it won't get rolled out because it would fully expose the extent of the trophy problem.

Depends on attitude - maybe the "sweep under the carpet" approach is preferred to the "continuous improvement" appraoch....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1