A Vr Survey

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Digital Draftsman, Feb 19, 2019.

?
  1. Use my existing VR equipment to play.

39 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. Purchase VR equipment to enjoy the newly supported VR.

23 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Be indifferent and continue to enjoy the game in 2D.

87 vote(s)
    58.4%
  1. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

After reading several threads discussing VR, one point was made several times which was that not many people have VR and thus there is little point even trying to cater for it. This led me to wonder whether this is a chicken and egg scenario and people may actually buy VR equipment to play TSW if TSW supported it.

DTG are a long way from implementing VR as the game currently suffers from poor optimisation even in 2D, but for the purposes of this poll, let's assume that DTG has managed to solve the optimisation issues with TSW and presented a version which is suitable for VR.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I voted as indifferent, but if all the short comings of VR, especially the resolution, I might be inclined to use my VR gear with TSW.

Even in my flight sims, (P3D, XPlane) I will use VR when flying circuits to practice my pattern work or learn a new aircraft, but revert to 2D for my cross country flights for a couple of reasons, the first being the aforementioned resolution problems to adjust my avionics and the second is that I like outside views for sight-seeing.

I would assume my approach would be the same in a train sim, use VR when I would want the full immersion of a first person view like when shunting and local industry work and back to 2D for the sight seeing runs.

But as you suggested, many more features, bug fixes and refinements for TSW are on my wishlist before the inclusion of VR.

• Like Like x 2
  3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Honestly not bothered about VR. VR in itself is still premature and has its own set of issues that need sorting out.

Wait until it is widely used in the gaming community first at least until it can be used appropriately in a Simulator.

A Track IR or something similar which tracks your head movement would be a nice implementation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I’m not at all interested in Vr.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

I would not buy any of the current VR-Headsets. They still have a far to low resolution for my taste.

6. Digital Draftsman

Looks like a we can put the VR debate to bed for a couple of years at least. As people have said, there are plenty of 'standard' features (steam locomotives, editor, etc) missing from TSW which have been present in all the big train sim titles of the past, so it's clear where DTG's focus should be.

• Like Like x 1
  7. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Does VR require good vision in both eyes? I have no idea how it works and have never tried it. I'm legally blind in my left eye, about 20/200 vision. Just wondering if I could even take advantage of it. I can't enjoy binoculars or 3D movies, etc.

8. Sintbert

For bad vision you can get special lenses for most models or go to an good optometrist and he can make you lenses exactly for your vision.
    In your case with a very bad eye, it would just be in 2D. You still get all the motion tracking and such stuff.
    You can go watch a 3D movie with one bad eye, you just don' get any benefit since you still see it in 2D.

9. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

My bad eye is not a vision problem, it is a communication problem between my eye and brain, eye doctors cannot correct the problem with lenses. The only thing they can do is magnify the view my bad eye gets as much as possible, which just makes everything larger and slightly easier to see, but it creates a huge lens on one side of my glasses, it isn't worth the trouble.

I suppose I'll just have to try a VR headset somewhere and see how it works for me.

10. ksandy501

ksandy501 New Member

I have the Pimax 5K and it’s a game changer in all respects. Amazing FOV and crisp resolution. Believe me when I say that TWS needs to sort their LOVE out soon as you’re being left behind. Bit of a joke really.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Left behind by what?

12. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I don't know. None of that made much sense.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Curious as to what you think the other shortcomings of VR are.

Resolution is still largely an issue, yes. I guess FoV, too. I don't think there are any other issues that apply to seated simulation VR.

VR is used successfully in plenty of simulators.

• Like Like x 1
  14. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

VR doesn’t interest me one bit.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see VR in TSW but don't think we ever will. Codemasters didn't implement VR in their Dirt Rally 2.0 release, although did in DR1, however, due to high demand and paid for by Oculus, VR will be in DR2 in the Summer for the Oculus headset only.

I use VR for Project Cars 2 and believe me, it's a whole game changer, especially with my wheel and pedals, I could NEVER go back to a standard 2D racing game.

I also have Derail Valley, what an amazing difference in cab experience is! If Derail Valley becomes big and takes off and they start releasing UK stuff then that would be the only sim for me!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

im hoping Derail valley come on to consoles. i've been watching DR on Youtube and looks like fun to me. dosen't seem to get boring like TSW dose with repetitive play

• Like Like x 1
  17. Digital Draftsman

Derail Valley is a great game. The developers are great at listening to feedback and keeping everyone up to date with the frequent new builds. I bought it perhaps 7 or 8 weeks ago and it's gone from build #45 to build #66 in that time, so it's frequently being updated.

It's interesting because although the graphics are not as good as TSW, it's still far more immersive. The gameplay is also great fun and implemented in such a way as to not interfere with the experience. All the instructions are on documents in the game, there's no HUD with destination markers, you follow the instructions in the job documents and then at the end submit them for assessment. 22 Hours in and I'm still interested, despite the single map which is included in Early Access.

Whilst Derail Valley is an Early Access game, there's a hell of a lot DTG could learn from the game itself as well as from the developers. I should also mentition that Derail Valley has been created by a team of just five people.

Even if you don't have any VR, the standard 2D version is still great fun to play.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

How do their financials look?
    (trollface ;) )

• Like Like x 5
  19. Digital Draftsman

Very funny! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. crrispy

crrispy Member

I have a Pimax 5K+, great VR headset, and would happily play TSW on it, but as already said, they have other priorities right now. Maybe one day...

• Like Like x 1
  21. Digital Draftsman

TSW as it stands is still too badly optimised for VR. Given the target FPS for the Vive and Rift is 90FPS, most PCs struggle to get that rendering the scene in TSW once, let alone the twice required for VR.

The current gen of consoles have absolutely no chance of running TSW in VR as they already have fewer services and poorer quality visuals than the PC version and that's again just rendering the scene once.

TSW will need a significant rebuild code-wise if it's going to support VR in the future and it's a low priority on the development list, so we're probably talking years for VR in TSW.

I do recommend Derail Valley if people are interested in VR train simming. The Devs are a lot more active than DTG in developing the core game and they regularly add new features. Whilst the simulation isn't especially in depth, the immersion that VR brings more than makes up for it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Anthony Pecoraro

Only GWE has fewer services on consoles than PC.

23. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Please, please let this happen, it looks like so much fun. I've been tempted to buy it on PC even though I'm below the minimum requirements just to see how it might perform, but if it came to Xbox it would be a day one purchase for me.

On topic, I voted indifferent since I play on Xbox so there's no chance of VR happening there. Honestly I feel the same way about the editor, since in all likelihood console players will never see any benefit even when it finally releases. I'd prefer DTG spend their resources on high quality DLC and core game improvements. I know this will be an unpopular opinion with PC players (and I understand that point of view), but we pay just as much money as, if not more than, PC players due to lack of regular sales (and we're still short a route due to HH).

24. Dave Mel

in the end i bought Derail valley and i play it on my laptop but not in VR as i dont have it. i think i bought it around October time

25. Digital Draftsman

It's still fun even without VR I think. I like the way the job system works with the track maps and task books. I also like that you can carry items. In TSW it would be nice to be able to go to a signing on point in the yard office or station, sign on, view notices such as temporary speed restrictions, collect a loco key and then head out to the train.

• Like Like x 5
  26. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

THIS PLEASE.

Honestly, I'd love to start my services in the depot, grab a service to run, locate my consist, do a cold start up of the train, and finally go about my "Journey". That is what i was hoping Journey was, but unfortunately, Journey is just a glorified Service mode.

Everything you'd expect a simulator to be, just feels like it was built for casuals. What could've been more than just a get in this train, drive from a to b and back. Do it again 70 more times. It gets stale very quickly for me.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Anthony Pecoraro

You can spawn on foot and walk to your train.

28. Dave Mel

TSW is getting boring for me. just nothing to do. im now playing fishing the barents sea on PS4 an excellent game with so much to do and it gives you so much to think about

29. Digital Draftsman

Then you sit down in the driver's seat and get a message telling you it's 40 minutes before the service is due to depart. There's no option for a proper cold start with a checklist and a full set up, so there's nothing to do for 40 minutes.

Something like the Class 08 would be great to do a cold start with. You could get an oil can, then go around topping up the oil reservoirs on the axle boxes and coupling rods, followed by getting a bag of sand and topping up the sand boxes, then a check of the sight glass on the radiator, topping it up with water if required. Then you could check the fuses, perhaps one needs replacing, so you go to the depot stores to the service counter and book out a new fuse and fit it. Then you take off the 'not to be moved' boards and finally start the locomotive.

TSW gives the impression that you turn up to the depot and the locomotive is sat there ready to go with very little that needs checking, maintaining or setting up before hand, when train preparation in reality is actually a thorough process to ensure the safe and proper operation of the locomotive.

There is a whole genre of games dedicated to maintaining and fixing vehicles, so it's clearly a popular game mechanic, so it would be nice if DTG bought those same aspects of gaming to TSW. It's not even something that would be difficult to do as they have the fuelling mechanic already there, so it would just be a replication of that for the various other elements of the train.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Anthony Pecoraro

You can spawn 5 minutes before departure.

• Like Like x 1
  31. londonmidland

TSW really needs a cold start option, particularly if you have a long time before departure.

It isn’t very realistic with all trains already turned on and ready to go whilst sitting in a depot.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Anthony Pecoraro

It’s because the AI can’t do cold starts yet.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

There is a VR train sim out there and I bought it. Funny thing is I hardly touch it. I thought I would because Im in Project Cars VR all the time and could now never go back to 2D racing sims. For whatever reason I just prefer train sims in 2D although that is my personal view and only my personal view. Mayve its the importance if detail for track signage etc which VR is currently not able to do- with a racing sim braking points are easy, a 30cm sign with a speed limit at 70mph not so much...

For this reason TrackIr support would be great!!

34. Sintbert

It can.. its just instant like when it changes ends. Simply setting the variables and boom the loco runs.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Anthony Pecoraro

It can’t actually. That’s why trains are always running in service mode.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Digital Draftsman

What you mean to say is that DTG have chosen not to. As Sintbert says any controls the player can manipulate can be coded to be manipulated by the AI, so there is nothing to stop DTG from implementing it, but they choose not to.

In TS2020 you can have the AI perform a cold start on your own locomotive, the code would look something like:
    So there's no reason, other than DTG don't want to, that the same couldn't be done in TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  37. Anthony Pecoraro

DominusEdwardius AI trains can’t cold start, right?

38. londonmidland

AI can do cold starts as far as I’m aware. However it is disabled due to there being a bug with the audio when doing so, if I’m correct.

• Like Like x 1
  39. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

VR Train Sim would be AMAZING!!!!!!!! Maybe if the VR tech gets better in the next few years or so, it could be a great thing. Imagine driving a train by actually touching the controls and feeling the vibrations as your train moves. Perhaps a VR version of the old Raildriver could be made, too.

40. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

VR is already at its point where it's great and any additions to it won't be "massive" improvements. As a person who owned a Oculus Rift CV1 and now a Valve Index, It's a big improvement. Seeing how XPlane 11 can do VR and it has more details than TSW, I'm sure they can do it. Problem is that they are pretty much still newbies to the unreal engine. Thats one of the reasons why we have so many bugs and things they struggle to do because of their mistakes making the game from the start.

Regardless, I don't want VR for this game yet. Not in it's current state.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  41. Ding

Ding Member

Simulation games (where you are the pilot, driver, ...) are perfect for VR and probably the biggest market for it when it comes to more serious players. I currently own the Oculus Rift S and the resolution is decent enough for most games that support VR.

Elite: Dangerous for example has done a really good job in supporting VR. The game runs and looks great with and without VR. Furthermore, the experience when playing Elite: Dangerous in VR is so immersive, that I've never played the game in non-VR mode again.

I am certain the same thing would happen to me with TSW and I would be willing to spend around $1,500 - 2,500 to get the latest headset and upgrade my PC just to enjoy TSW in VR on ultra settings.

42. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

VR I am not too fussed about as long as it's an option in future and not mandatory; don't see a problem. A choice is always nice.
    On a side note, can you still buy TrackIR? When I search for it, it's still tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive and Amazon in the UK, at least says currently unavailable, to be honest, most of the gaming hardware is hard to find :S

43. Anthony Pecoraro

View Tracker works for TSW.

44. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

I don't believe anyone would try to make players use vr mandatory. That would be silly because that would alienate the majority of the player base - those that do not have a vr headset for one reason or another.
    We are hoping for an "option to have" vr capability in TSW for those that want it.

45. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Well you never know. The way tech is going these days, soon we’ll probably be able to time travel. For really

46. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Sometimes you do. They would of course not force players to purchase a VR headset for a game that's released since several years. I don't know that it even would be legal? Would be similar to if they should suddenly decide the game will only run on Mac or Linux.

47. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Alright, good lord don’t take it so seriously it’s just an opinion, that’s all it is. I heard the last chap who replied. Lol

48. jj100all4u

jj100all4u New Member

I use VR with MSFS (and they can use both Staem VR and WMR Portal, and they use the mouse to control all aspects of the cockpit which works very well; I can't see any reason why TSW 2 couldn't do something similar. After all MSFS wasn't necessarily designed to support VR - it came along some time after the initial game release and I think having VR support would make the whole experience far more immersive. The trouble is, now I've used VR in MSFS, playing TSW2 seems very tame.....